BASEMENT LIGHT SWITCH

MarkC

Anyone run into this problem.  I get into the basement storage area during the day...then crawl into bed during the evening.  I turn out the lights in the trailer.  Then look down at the basement access door and see that the basement light is on.  Depending on my mood (and/or weather), I get up go out and turn it off or roll over and go to sleep.  I'm thinking Oliver should relocate switch.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Installing another switch isn't very difficult.  Access to the wires that supply 12 volts to the light are easily accessible and all you have to do is use splice a switch into the positive side of the supply.  If you are going to do this you should also think about getting some additional lighting like THIS or THIS (there are a bunch to chose from) and install these lights toward the back of the basement.  This will allow you to see back into the bowels.  If you wire it properly the new switch will control all of the lights or you can control each light separately.   

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We have not had any concerns with the switch location. My concern is about me actually forgetting to turn it off. 🙄 😅

Fortunately this has only happened once. That said, you might be able to rewire it to a location of your choosing.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I have done this once, I just left it on because it was late and I didn’t feel like getting up and going outside to turn it off. 
 I’m more conscious of it now though and make sure it’s off before going into the camper for the night. 

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

I often turn the lights on inadvertently when I am digging around in the basement from the outside access door.  Moving the switch or placing a guard over the switch to prevent accidentally bumping it on would cure the issue.  This thread got me thinking about the possibility of my having repeated my old bad habit when I was getting some stuff out of the basement yesterday ... just checked and sure enough the light was on.  We have been packing for some Razor Clam digging at Cape Disappointment in a couple of days and had left the main light switch on in the cabin.  If I could just remember to leave that off the problem would cure itself as it powers the basement light.

• Like 2

A basement light?  That's a great idea. Either I don't have one or I don't know where the basement light switch is located. I have an older hull number (124), maybe it was not part of the trailer when mine was produced. Can someone please tell me where to look for the basement switch?

• Like 1

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

• Moderators

We don't have a basement light in our 2008 elite, (no basement) but we have a closet interior light that could have  caused the same issue. 

It's led, so I didn't fret too much about power draw, but turning off my main cabin switch solved long term problems. And, a piece of surveyor tape, reminded me to look... before closing the closet door, while camping..  

Since we have a light that is mounted on the opposite cabimet wall, I just don't use it. Problem solved. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, Jim and Chris Neuman said:

I often turn the lights on inadvertently when I am digging around in the basement from the outside access door.  Moving the switch or placing a guard over the switch to prevent accidentally bumping it on would cure the issue.  This thread got me thinking about the possibility of my having repeated my old bad habit when I was getting some stuff out of the basement yesterday ... just checked and sure enough the light was on.  We have been packing for some Razor Clam digging at Cape Disappointment in a couple of days and had left the main light switch on in the cabin.  If I could just remember to leave that off the problem would cure itself as it powers the basement light.

Ditto to all of that Jim! I was thinking of removing the bulb and sticking a battery-powered motion detector light in there.

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

• Moderator+
9 hours ago, MarkC said:

Anyone run into this problem.  I get into the basement storage area during the day...then crawl into bed during the evening.  I turn out the lights in the trailer.  Then look down at the basement access door and see that the basement light is on.  Depending on my mood (and/or weather), I get up go out and turn it off or roll over and go to sleep.  I'm thinking Oliver should relocate switch.

You actually need to replace the existing SPST switch with two SPDT switches wired as a 3-way setup with one of the switches inside the cabin. I mounted mine down beside the basement access door. 

• Like 7

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
9 hours ago, taylor.coyote said:

A basement light?  That's a great idea. Either I don't have one or I don't know where the basement light switch is located. I have an older hull number (124), maybe it was not part of the trailer when mine was produced. Can someone please tell me where to look for the basement switch?

I’m Hull 135 and the basement light is just inside at the top of the opening.

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
10 hours ago, taylor.coyote said:

Like Mike I too have a light right at the top of the basement door opening.  On the left side of the light there is a switch that operates the light and the wires I referred to in my post above are easily accessed right there at the light fixture.  Since your hull number is between Mike's and mine, I have to assume that you have the exact same light fixture in the same place.

One of the problems with this light is its location - being located right at the basement door opening - where you already have the most natural light - there is basically no light way back in the depths of the basement (where you really need it).  This is why I suggested the mod outlined above.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

@topgun2 

A possible solution! 💡

Here is a photo of my basement light. So while at the rally since you are a bit shorter and smaller in stature would you be willing to crawl inside our basement and add additional LED rope lighting. We sure would appreciate the effort and as a plus we could make a mod video. I feel sure we could get a camera and light mounted on your hat. Just think about it, and please don’t feel like you’re under any pressure. 😄

Thoughts? 

D1B4A264-7B75-4458-A970-0965D6859246.thumb.jpeg.74b4acb080d14712d01ad8b37bcab89c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg