Hello from NE Oregon

Hello to the Oliver Community!

We are Diana and Steve Parsons, currently Airstream owners (2012 Flying Cloud 25 FB), but have been wanting an Oliver since we learned of them via Air Forums.  One of the things we need to figure out is living in a smaller trailer with to large German Wirehair Pointers.  If anyone has tips on how to make it work, we’d love to hear from you.

Kind Regards to all,

Steve

• Like 4

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

Welcome, how big are your dogs? Ollies are very cosy; there is very little room to maneuver. Have you actually been inside one? That is the first step. As an owner of two 40 pound low energy doodles, I suspect that your dogs may be too much of a distraction. After a couple of seasons we decided it was just best to leave ours at home.

Your AS has vastly more interior space than an LE2.

7BBDC42C-76F5-4A51-BCA4-9F21D176FD82.thumb.png.b3afa45571922616e77621ab94baddb9.png

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 6

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

If anyone has tips on how to make it work, we’d love to hear from you.

You might want to send a Private Message to Shallowgal.

They have spent several months on the road in their Ollie in the company of two good sized doodles.

And/or - as JD recommends above - go see an Ollie in person.

Good luck!

Bill

• Like 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+
3 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Hello to the Oliver Community!

We are Diana and Steve Parsons, currently Airstream owners (2012 Flying Cloud 25 FB), but have been wanting an Oliver since we learned of them via Air Forums.  One of the things we need to figure out is living in a smaller trailer with to large German Wirehair Pointers.  If anyone has tips on how to make it work, we’d love to hear from you.

Kind Regards to all,

Steve

We travel with two (formerly three) dogs. One, a 104 pound Doberman Pincher and two, a 10 pound mix. Reacher (104 pounder) sleeps on the dinette bed which must be made down for him on demand. Rocky, at 10 pounds sleeps wherever he wants to, usually with one of us. We keep their water dish in the bathroom (Reacher will drink a quart of water at a time and make a big mess in the process.) We usually carry a forty pound sack of dog food in the closet.

Everybody loves their dogs and many folks travel with them. You make it work because you can't imagine traveling without them with you. Ours have been to every state, lots of Canada and Alaska.

"Wanna go for a ride?"

"Wanna get in the truck?"

"Wanna go camping?"

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Care 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

We travel with one 80 lbs Chesapeake Bay Retriever. She does not stand that tall but is very thick through the chest.  She sleeps on the floor on a thin dog bed that is exactly the width of the floor between our twin beds.  When the furnace is on, we move her bed forward so it fits between the two heater vents. If we get up during the night, we turn on the floor lights and have to step over her. She is very mellow and hardly knows of the activity. When cooking inside  we have her lay down on the entry carpet in front of the door.  The water bowl goes in the bath. It's cosy with us and pooch during winter travel. Travel during warm months, we are mostly outside except for sleeping or fighting bugs. We love our pup and consider this as only a small inconvenience to have her travel with us. 

We have chosen to be one dog family because two is more than we want to manage. I can't speak to two large dogs inside, seems viable but very cozy if you love them and are use to dealing/living with two dogs under feet. 

image.thumb.png.f0f04d98342cafba0be11a4322cd9e28.pngd image

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

@Wandering Sagebrush, we are taking delivery of our Oliver LE2 in eleven days. We have two Border Terriers that are each just under 20 lbs. We are very attached to our dogs and put up with them in the house pretty well, but they will definitely be under foot in the camper. Our dogs are pretty well disciplined and well behaved so it's not hard to get them to settle out of the way when busy in the house. I'm hoping this will be the pattern in the camper when they have to be inside with us. Typically ours will quietly pile up together on a couch and I could easily see this happening in the Ollie. If your dogs are used to laying in their favorite spot while you cook and take care of chores in the camper, I think it will be doable. But as others have stated, you'll have to look at an Oliver and figure out how that will play out taking into consideration your experiences with your dogs in your current camper. 

I picture our routine being one where I take care of feeding and exercising our dogs while Stacie is preparing meals. She prefers minimal distraction when working in the kitchen and the dogs will definitely require an amount of time for their care that I'm used to doing. When I'm cooking outside they'll just be in a pen adjacent to where I'm working. We'll definitely have to develop a system that suits us both and keeps the pooches happy. 

• Like 4

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

10 hours ago, taylor.coyote said:

image.thumb.png.f0f04d98342cafba0be11a4322cd9e28.pngd image

Love these rules!  We have a 90 lb female golden and a 50 lb male chow/border collie (a chowie 😂).  Although we just picked up our Ollie and haven’t traveled with them in it, they were one of the reasons we changed our order from an LE1 to an LE2.

• Like 3

Bryan & Sondra

2023 Elite II Twin Bed, Hull #1358

2022 F-150 5.0L, long bed w/ Heavy Duty Payload, Max Tow, and FX4 packages

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 9:40 AM, Wandering Sagebrush said:

currently Airstream owners (2012 Flying Cloud 25 FB), but have been wanting an Oliver since we learned of them via Air Forums.  One of the things we need to figure out is living in a smaller trailer with to large German Wirehair Pointers.

Welcome to the Oliver forums, brother...  

FYI:  We made the AS/Ollie transition last month ('85 Sovereign 25-foot/modified vintage rig) and we couldn't be happier (on many levels)!  We travel with a 55-lb Siberian, Magnus.  He was spoiled since 8 weeks old with the roomy AS layout, but is totally adapted to the Ollie's tight configuration.  Obviously don't know what's going through is little "Husky brain", but I hope its something like, "hey, I'm with my pack - I don't care how much room I have, we're camping!"  HA!  😎

IMG_6857.thumb.jpeg.acd2b9af7d70147ddddf011400d89838.jpeg

• Like 4

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

We pick up our LE II next month. Not sure how it will go with our two Tollers but regardless, it's going to happen! We used to have Chessies but, as they've passed over the last decade, have transitioned to Tollers due to their smaller size (about 40-45 pounds). We spend a lot of time outside so as long as we wear them out it should be good!

Boys.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2021 LE II - Hull 922 - 2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

I'm thinking a lot of "Fur-Baby" folks gravitate to RV'ing because we can bring them with us everywhere - I know we did!  HA!  WOOF!

• Like 3

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Hey Wandering Sagebrush

Love your pups. We are on our third Chessie (one at a time spanning almost 30 years). I think we would miss our sweet and very hard headed Chessie's if we had a different bread. What would the meaning of life be with a dog that actually listened all the time? 

I grew up in Baker Ore until my mid-teens. Could not have loved it more growing up with the outdoors in my backyard. I feel lucky to have this unbelievable experience before moving but enabled me to gain a broader lens on the world. Came back to go to school at EOSC - now called EOU. We still spend a lot of time in far Eastern Ore from the Wallowa's to the Alorvd desert. Below are a few images at virtue flats (near the Oregon Trail Interpretive center/Baker), Three Forks Plateau in the Owhee and pup.  What part of Eastern Oregon is your home? Best of luck and hope you love your Oliver. 

taylor eye contact.jpg

three forks plateau, owhee, or.jpg

virtue flats.jpg

painted hills td and taylor.jpg

monument td.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Fieldbrook, Ca

4 hours ago, taylor.coyote said:

grew up in Baker Ore

Beautiful photos! We love that area, especially Baker. We have stayed at the Geiser Grand Hotel several times and enjoy Barley Brown’s brewery. We have also stayed at the camping area at Grand Hot Springs west of Baker, off of I84, it’s very nice too! Lucky place to spend part of your youth! 
Do you all drive down to Shelter Cove for fish and chips ever? 
Kirk

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

On 4/7/2023 at 9:40 AM, Wandering Sagebrush said:

One of the things we need to figure out is living in a smaller trailer with to large German Wirehair Pointers.

Hi Steve, 

We travel easily with two dogs, but one is a little French Bulldog and one is a 45 pound Standard Poodle. If you were going to travel in a smaller travel trailer, the Elite 2 with twin beds would be a good one to try. Our dogs sleep well between the beds. If they are too rambunctious, or if they don’t listen well, it would definitely be more challenging. 

70024521056__1F55FC68-9823-4D8A-AF24-C213526416AD_Original.jpeg

• Like 3

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

2 hours ago, snakeriveridaho said:

Our dogs sleep well between the beds.

We put the Lagun tabletop in the down ("puppy position") as we prep for Ollie-slumber time... But Magnus hasn't figured out (yet) that the tabletop is his designated sleeping area - he's still curling up at my feet!

IMG_7135.thumb.jpeg.598208c558094396038e453e30c0fab0.jpeg

..."DAD!  I'm tired, get your sh**t together and let's hit the rack!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

spacer.png

Hi everyone, and thanks for the replies regarding the pups.  We’re wrapping up a trip to the SW, with the AS, including 92 pound Fritz (liver and tick) and Ketzel (white and liver) at 72 pounds.  I’ve come to the conclusion that longer trips would be better if the fur babies vacationed in the Hound Dog Hilton.  
spacer.png

After this trip, I’m pretty sure we are going to purchase an Oliver.  

Taylor, we are very near Pine Creek, up against the base of the Elkhorns.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

The Pine creek off highway 86 near Idaho/ore border/ oxbow dam??  Great fishing up Eagle Creek near Richland. If so, can't find more a beautiful place.  Travel safe

Fieldbrook, Ca

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Infrared on that last shot?

Also, good looking high energy pups ya got there.

Bill

Bill, no IR, just monochrome conversion of an iPhone image.

High energy is an understatement.   There are times I want an off switch for their prey drive.

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

13 minutes ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Bill, no IR, just monochrome conversion of an iPhone image.

High energy is an understatement.   There are times I want an off switch for their prey drive.

Beautiful pooches. 

We have two Border Terriers and even though they are much smaller, they are known for their endless energy and unstoppable prey drive. 

After much research we made the decision to switch our dogs to a raw fresh meat diet. There are numerous benefits to the dogs' health, but it also has a calming effect on them. After their morning and evening feedings, they seem to prefer to sleep off their diner, sort of like the post Thanksgiving coma we experience. They still do zoomies in the back yard a couple times a day but they are generally much more calm and less reactive. 

• Like 1

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

11 hours ago, Ollie-Haus said:

There are times I want an off switch for their prey drive.

When you find that toggle switch, please advise - Our Siberian gets stuck in afterburner sometimes...  But below you can see him after he flames-out....

IMG_7149.thumb.jpeg.cd1af3f846c65aaffd3be0243cae4378.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

spacer.png

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

But below you can see him after he flames-out

Make sure that he is pointed in the correct direction when this happens - the propane detector is fairly sensitive!😁

• Haha 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"