Subjects of Service Talk

ScubaRx

• Moderator+

Jason Essary asked me to please poll the group here to see if there are any particular topics we might want him to specifically focus on for his presentation at the rally. Please name a topic such as "Bearing Care and Lubrication" or "leveling the trailer in quicksand", anything that you're curious about and might be of general interest to the group attending. Be specific, I will send him the link to this thread and he can pick from your suggestions.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

anything that you're curious about and might be of general interest to the group attending.

Any thoughts that he can share on what Oliver has in store for us in the future?

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I think there has been plenty threads about lubricants & caulking… Ask Jason to put a list together of what they use at the factory and service department …  exact brands.. etc..  Thanks

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2022 Elite I  # 1179  |  2024 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crewmax. 5.5 ft. Bed. 3.31gears 10 spd.trans

1 hour ago, Golfnut said:

I think there has been plenty threads about lubricants & caulking… Ask Jason to put a list together of what they use at the factory and service department …  exact brands.. etc..  Thanks

+1

• Like 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

Maybe Jason could talk about the new Truma air conditioner retro fit and how this is working out for Oliver owners? Pros and Cons?
Suggested talking points: what all is involved with the installation of  the new Truma Aventa with regard to the added roof wedge modifications, pricing and installation time? 

It is fairly well known that Truma retro fit owners are not really overly happy/excited about having a Dometic manual thermostat to operate the Dometic furnace. Will there be a fix to having a more modern looking digital thermostat vs the out dated older style mechanical thermostat controlling the heat only on the Dometic furnace? For the substantial cost of the Truma Aventa install I would like to see a more modern looking digital thermostat included in the price of installation.

Edit - 4/12 An optional digital thermostat to control the Dometic furnace has been recently approved by Oliver. This will be an option for owners who wish to upgrade from the mechanical Tstat to the digital. 

An additional talking point could be the optional upgrade hard wired Truma panel which allows for temperature control of the Truma AC in the event the Truma remote fails. This new Truma control panel as I understand it replaces the existing Truma hot water heater panel and integrates both the Truma AC and hot water controls into the new panel. 

Patriot 🇺🇸 

• Like 7

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Being new to all this, I have recognized that folks with older models do have upgrades installed occasionally. Perhaps Jason could speak to the process of upgrading items on the camper as newer appliances or systems become standard. Also maybe tie in how a buyer's decisions when having their camper built effect the ability and or cost of future upgrades. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

A little along the lines of my previous suggestion, perhaps Jason could talk a little bit about custom items being installed after manufacturing, in the service department prior to delivery. I know they used to do customer requests but have moved away from that as far as building the camper.

Is it possible to work with the service department after the order process to arrange for specific items to be installed, such as plugs, switches, lights, brackets for medical devises, or galley/bathroom/closet storage items?

Other service installed options could be a frame mounted mud flap system similar in principal to those posted in threads by current owners, and paint protection film on the front of their camper for stone protection. Would the service department be able to do this type of work prior to delivery?

For folks that don't have a shop or the tools and skills, it would be very attractive to have these type of mods/additions done in a seamless process before delivery. The process of finding a shop and scheduling work after taking delivery can be quite daunting and costly, plus the long lead times to get into another service facility. 

• Like 2

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

On 4/8/2023 at 7:55 AM, Ollie-Haus said:

Other service installed options could be a frame mounted mud flap system similar in principal to those posted in threads by current owners, and paint protection film on the front of their camper for stone protection. Would the service department be able to do this type of work prior to delivery?

All good ideas Chris however paint protection install really requires a learned highly skilled technician. Then Oliver would likely have to warranty the install. The only PPF I use is 10 mil XPEL and I have had our both our Ollie corners, dog house and bottom quarter panels done. It’s expensive but it does protect the gelcoat. I would be surprised if Oliver would begin installing PPF.

Having had most if not all of our vehicles professionally covered with XPEL.com my guess is Oliver would leave that up to the owners to have it installed.
Your idea of mud flaps seems plausible! I would like to see this offered as an option. Naturally these options would further drive a new Oliver to an even higher price tag. I could go on, but I do not want to derail the thread.  All this said, it never hurts to ask! 😊

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I would like to see an Oliver video of wheel bearing replacement - the complete process from start to finish.  I know there is a Dexter video to watch and it's good but I don't think it's complete.  I'm also aware that there's a very helpful thread about this that's about 5 or 6 pages long but I still like to see things because I'm a visual learner.  

Would also like to learn more about optimal Xantrex inverter settings when not connected to shore power.  Specifically, how to adjust the settings to charge (or stop charging) the batteries but also, at the same time, run an AC off of a generator as an example.  There are some good threads about this already but a little more depth and detail about how flexible the Xantrex is might be helpful.   

Lastly, it would be great if Oliver focused on a few (like 3 to 5) of the most common yearly maintenance tasks that owners can do themselves (low skill level items) and showed videos of these...or one video that captures these 3 to 5 tasks.  Because Oliver has done these tasks so many times, maybe they can show us some time saving tricks to make these tasks easier or more effective.  I find the Educational Shorts videos helpful.  They don't need to be long but they should be very focused. 

As a reference to the above, when I've done my winterizing and de-winterizing I bring my laptop outside and watch Jason go through the steps.  I can pause the video so that I can "catch up" to what's he's done.  Makes the task at hand super easy.  Jason speaks in a very clear and deliberate way and, maybe most importantly, he makes no assumptions about people's skill sets.  I hope he continues to do more videos.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

OK... We are very "jelly" that y'all will be attending the O-Rally... we'd love to join, but we're previously committed.

That said, are there plans to have Jason's presentation recorded somehow so those of us who can't attend will be able to glean from his information?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 4/12/2023 at 1:36 PM, connor77 said:

Lastly, it would be great if Oliver focused on a few (like 3 to 5) of the most common yearly maintenance tasks that owners can do themselves (low skill level items) and showed videos of these...or one video that captures these 3 to 5 tasks.  Because Oliver has done these tasks so many times, maybe they can show us some time saving tricks to make these tasks easier or more effective. 

I agree with this suggestion and also recommend it. I would add "med-skill weekend warrior" skill items also in addition to "low skill level" items.

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

• 6 months later...

I know I won’t be able to attend this year — and I’m sad to miss the opportunity to learn. 

I would like to see a Maintenance Schedule in a clear, short format (maybe I’ve missed it, somewhere?) that I can use to track as a To-Do list. 

EDIT: It would be nice to have a detailed explanation covering the lithium batteries for 1) how to “reset” to make sure the battery monitor is showing the correct percentage charge, and 2) how to adjust the components to use 110 outlets for charging. (I may not be describing this very well — I only know that several forum threads have touched on these). 

I second the points made above in multiple posts regarding Jason’s excellent How-To videos and explanations. His videos and seminars are great — clear and concise, easy to follow, giving me the confidence to learn new skills while caring for my Oliver. 

Edited by Boudicca908
Added specific requests.

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.