Galley Drawer Protective Strap and Shade Assembly Fixes...

MAX Burner

SITREP:  First "official" weekend shakedown road trip with H-226 Easter Weekend 2023:

OK - you've just backed into a scenic campsite at a nice state park, walking back to your Ollie, unlock the main hatch, take a deep breath and look inside.  Holy Cr*p!   Know what I mean?

After discovering that (1) our middle right galley drawer landed on the deck with pots and pans adrift everywhere, and (2) our street side dinette shade assembly did a touch-and-go on the table, I started searching the forums for a couple "fixes."

1.  Galley Drawers:  Full credit is going out to @John E Davies for his engineered galley drawer fix that calls for using a couple pairs of Raingler https://raingler.com/products/footman-mount-set stainless steel footman mounts and nylon straps with flat PVC-coated hooks.  Just ordered the set up and should receive it next week.  Very clean...   We repaired and reinstalled the soft-close hardware on the drawer front at the campsite.  Cause may have been too many heavy cooking items in the drawer, faulty shocks, and/or me driving too fast along the curvy roads enroute to the campsite.  In either case, I'm sure John's fix will eliminate the drawers from taking off whilst being towed - provided, like John said, "I remember to use the straps!"

2.  Shade Assembly:  There's a few posts regarding shades falling off - but we're still looking for a solid fix...  Some owners are using additional clips from Oliver.  Suggestions welcomed on this portion of the thread.  Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers...

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

There's a few posts regarding shades falling off - but we're still looking for a solid fix...  Some owners are using additional clips from Oliver.  Suggestions welcomed on this portion of the thread.  Any ideas out there?

When this happened to me a few years ago - I simply went looking for a tool that was just the correct size to use in spreading the clips (gently) a bit further apart.  Don't overdo this - you will know when you get it right.  Those shades should be tight and should be able to be set properly with a sharp "wack" with the heel of your hand.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Shades - we had some issues with the shades falling off when in-transit when we first picked up our Elite. Upon further examination, several of the windows had broken clips (only one side of the clip was there, the opposing side had broken off). We have been able to resolve this issue with a combination of actions:

• Replace all broken clips (Oliver sent us a handful of new clips)
  • Be very careful how we press the shade frame into place, ensuring that both sides of all clips are aligned with the slot on the back of the shade frame
  • Lower the tire pressure from the 80psi used at delivery
  • More experience avoiding curbs and potholes😜 (still working on this one)
  • Opening the shades while traveling, so that if one does pop off, the shade fabric is not damaged

We have not had any shade pop-offs in quite a while now...

• Like 3

Tom & Holly

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite I #409 - 2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3L Gas, 4x4 Z71, Dbl Cab, Std Bed

2023-10-16OliverCampedStates(medium).jpg.8e9964c26c7927a0077806565b9dcfc2.jpg

Galley drawers - we added a strap to retain our drawers... very similar to what JD describes. It works great.

We also added a strap across the bathroom door; it would work its latch loose in transit and swing back and forth. We initially jammed a seat cushion between the refrigerator and the bathroom door when traveling, but the strap across the door about 1/2 way up (near the latch) does the trick.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Tom & Holly

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite I #409 - 2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3L Gas, 4x4 Z71, Dbl Cab, Std Bed

2023-10-16OliverCampedStates(medium).jpg.8e9964c26c7927a0077806565b9dcfc2.jpg

20 hours ago, ADKCamper said:
  • More experience avoiding curbs and potholes😜 (still working on this one)
  • Opening the shades while traveling, so that if one does pop off, the shade fabric is not damaged

@ADKCamperI'll constantly work on bullet #1, HA!; great advice on bullet #2!  Thanks, brother!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX