getting ready to camp after 2 yrs in storage

LindaShields

Hello,

I am not really a newbie but sort of one I guess! We have a 2016 OTT Elite 2 #111. We have had it in our heated garage for the last 2 years due to illness and other life events. We are getting ready to head out for a short trip next week. I would like a list of what we need to check before we head out. It seems overwhelming as  we will be relearning (again) how to use "Olivia". 

I know we need to santize the water system but I haven't been able to find a list about taking it out of storage. So please direct me to one if it exists.

Many Thanks,

Linda

• Like 1

2016 Oliver Elite 2 #111 Tow vehicle Porsche Cayenne 2008

States Visited Map

• Moderator+

If your water heater has had water in it all this time, pull the anode and check it out, allow the tank to drain and flush water through your entire system for several, several minutes. Sanitize the water tanks and lines. While doing all this, check for leaks. 

Check out each system to make sure it works properly: fans, water pump, refrigerator (both 120V and propane, A/C, wheel bearings should be repacked and Dexter EZ-Flex greased, tires inflated properly, furnace, cooktop and batteries fully charged (I assume they have been maintained all this time). Change out batteries in any devices that used them.

If the entire weight of the trailer has been on the tires, they will, most likely, have developed a flat spot where they contacted the surface under them. This may or may not come out after you have driven it for a number of miles.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 9

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

If you winterized, you'll need to de-winterize.  Video of Jason showing this procedure linked here. 

Check your tire pressure (most people like about 60lbs), make sure batteries are fully charged, operate everything you can in/on your trailer before going anywhere, check that you jacks are operational, check your propane level, check your trailer's brakes, grease all zerks on suspension (8 per side), if you have solar, check to make sure the knobs holding the panel are tight, make sure you have fresh, clean water in your hot water heater before turning it on, make sure you have some fresh, clean water

Probably a few more things to check but here are at least a few things to get started on... Edit: Scuba just posted so there may be some additional or overlapping comments between us. 

• Like 6

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

FYI:  I've attached a MSWord file that's a fairly comprehensive checklist which was written by an Oliver owner (can't recall his name, though).  But anyhow, it may be a good baseline for you....  Good luck with your trip this weekend - send pix!   Safe travels!

Oliver Checklist-2.docx

• Like 7

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Linda,

Good for you that you can try and get back out camping with your Oliver. Along with the above recommendations and since  your Oliver has been sitting so long please don’t overlook checking your spare tire pressure. Make sure your tires are not old and out of date.

Welcome Back!

Patriot🇺🇸 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

One easy way is to have a mobile RV tech come to the storage location and essentially perform a pre-purchase inspection. That should cover the important stuff like whether or not the brakes and tires are still safe… 

John Davies

Soikane WA

• Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

If it has the original tires from 2016, then they're 7 years old.  Search online for "RV and trailer tire maximum age" and you'll find opinions vary widely, but 5-6 years seems to be the most common recommendation.  Consider replacing them, even if they have plenty of tread.  

• Like 6

Steve H & Mary Allyn W

San Antonio, TX

2022 LE II Hull #969 "Un Œuf", 2021 MB Sprinter 3500 "Polly", 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8L diesel "Max"

• Moderators

I replaced the tires (BF Goodrich) that came on my 2016 a couple of years ago.  Plenty of tread left but each tire had some cracking.  Put Coopers on.  Didn’t feel the need to stretch the life of the original tires.  Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I also would be suspect of 7 year old tires. We usually replace our tires  at 5 years.

Get the hubs/bearings/ brakes  serviced and checked. 

Time does take a toll on some parts, whether they move, or not.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

17 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

"tires are cheap insurance"

Hey, @topgun2:  "...so is a good helmet!"IMG_0429.thumb.jpeg.b9f963c64db542e12d9c40f0bec0222c.jpeg

• Like 5

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

There's an old saying in the motorcycle world - "tires are cheap insurance".

And l thought the saying was “keep the greasy side down”, but I guess they do go hand ‘n hand!

Mossey

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

5 minutes ago, mossemi said:

“keep the greasy side down”

@mossemi:  "...and the shiny side UP!"  HA!

• Like 2

spacer.png

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MAX Burner said:

Hey, @topgun2:  "...so is a good helmet!"

Which you're going to need if you don't keep good tires on the bike.

Also, on the helmet front - "if you got a $10 head then get a $10 helmet".

• Haha 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

19 hours ago, Steve and MA said:

If it has the original tires from 2016, then they're 7 years old.  Search online for "RV and trailer tire maximum age" and you'll find opinions vary widely, but 5-6 years seems to be the most common recommendation.  Consider replacing them, even if they have plenty of tread.  

17 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

I replaced the tires (BF Goodrich) that came on my 2016 a couple of years ago.  Plenty of tread left but each tire had some cracking.  Put Coopers on.  Didn’t feel the need to stretch the life of the original tires.

I agree with Both Mike and Steve in their cautions.  But, I suggest you have your tires inspected by a qualified technician:

If your trailer came with Michelin LT tires, and don't have a lot of miles, there is a probability that they are still in pristine condition as they have been stored inside out of the sun and weather.   My experience with Michelins is that they slowly age out compared to other brands. However if they are not Michelin tires, then the odds decline.  Any age related defect, regardless of brand should result in a reshod of your Ollie. 

Follows is a lot of "IF''s":

• If you are towing your trailer long distances in areas where assistance is unlikely then stretching the life of the original tires is generally a bad idea. 
  • If you are traveling at or below the posted speed limits on paved roads.
  • If on the other hand, the Tech finds no defects, and if you are camping local and if the sites are paved, then your risk factor may be acceptable.
  • And the BIG IF is:  Are you comfortable and capable of changing a flat trailer tire on the side of the road?

That's a lot if "IF's".  So basically for me, this is more about Risk Management and not a hard and fast rule that all tires should be retired at age X.  

Geronimo John  

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

If your trailer came with Michelin LT tires, and don't have a lot of miles, there is a probability that they are still in pristine condition as they have been stored inside out of the sun and weather.

Michelins weren’t used in trailers through 2016, BF Goodrich was standard.  I think they went to Michelin sometime in 2017.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Good to know. My 2018 has the Michelins.

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Michelins weren’t used in trailers through 2016, BF Goodrich was standard.  I think they went to Michelin sometime in 2017.

My 2016 (Hull #117) that I picked up in mid-February of 2016 came original with Michelins.  However, Mike's at hull # 135 came with BF Goodrich.  Go figure.

Bill

p.s.  about two months ago I replaced the Michelins with four new Coopers - if there is ANY doubt replace them!

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
12 hours ago, topgun2 said:

My 2016 (Hull #117) that I picked up in mid-February of 2016 came original with Michelins.  However, Mike's at hull # 135 came with BF Goodrich.  Go figure.

Bill

p.s.  about two months ago I replaced the Michelins with four new Coopers - if there is ANY doubt replace them!

We ordered our trailer in Sept ‘15 for delivery in December/January sometime.  We put off our delivery until May so I was told our chassis and other parts were put aside until early ‘16 when work on it resumed.  So, parts of our trailer were pre-2016, including tires. I believe that is why we got the BF Goodrich.  Mike

• Like 3