IMG_9514.jpeg

IMG_9504.jpeg

IMG_9512.jpeg

IMG_9510.jpeg

IMG_9234.jpeg

IMG_2290.JPG

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

What does this have to do about Oliver Travel Trailers? Why on this site?

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

Hey, John:  "You could put yer eye out with one of those!"  (remember that movie?). HA!  But seriously, those look like a couple nice quiet pea-shooters.  Real tack-drivers, I'll bet!

• Like 5

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

2 hours ago, Gliddenwoods said:

“General Discussion Feel Free To Talk About Anything...”

These are not firearms. It is an activity that involves my Ollie, like the threads on bicycling or favorite recipes, or books or music. If this subject doesn’t interest you, don’t click on it. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 7

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, Gliddenwoods said:

There are multiple categories of forum threads.  The General Discussion forum says “feel free to talk about anything”.   Adds some interesting topics.  Otherwise we’d spend all our time just discussing what the best tow vehicle is 😂.  

ED7668FF-1B25-4293-8141-3233E66B2E82.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

• Moderators

Wow John!  That's quite a target range setup you have there in your shop.  Those thirty tiny aiming circles in front of your safety barrel (ie: sand bucket) sure are close together.  Do you enter club competitions in your area or is it all for self improvement?  Is the gizmo strapped to the front something for measuring the specific velocity of the projectile?  

Lots of discipline must be involved to make it all come together for the win . . .  What are the normal distances you use for target shooting?

General comment:

Folks, this discussion about John's hobby does not need to take a political turn.  Let's keep it focused on the hobby.

• Like 6

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Nice set up John.  My son was on the rifle team in high school and while at West Point.  I worked with a guy at Fort Huachuca (AZ) who had a nice indoor range for air guns on his ranch in Sierra Vista that we used to spend time at on weekends.  Good clean fun.  He’s still a shooting enthusiast.  Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

43 minutes ago, bugeyedriver said:

Wow John!  That's quite a target range setup you have there in your shop.  Those thirty tiny aiming circles in front of your safety barrel (ie: bucket) sure are close together.  Do you enter club competitions in your area or is it all for self improvement?  Is the gizmo strapped to the front something for measuring the specific velocity of the projectile?  

Lots of discipline must be involved to make it all come together for the win . . .  What are the normal distances you use for target shooting?

General comment:

Folks, this discussion about John's hobby does not need to take a political turn.  Let's keep it focused on the hobby.

FYI...I am from rural Wisconsin and I own a traditional three generation family rifle. Numerous whitetail deer are shot on my property every year.  However the gun topic and killing (even of children!) in this Country is out of control. 

A recreational travel trailer website should not include guns of any sort. I encourage the Moderators of the website not allow gun discussions on the site because even tho the narrative is not "political" the photos are with no words

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 2

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Gliddenwoods said:

However the gun topic and killing (even of children!) in this Country is out of control. 

That is why we won’t allow these types of discussions on this forum.  Leave current events and political views out.

Target shooting is a legitimate interest and popular sport.  Let’s keep the discussion there.  Mike

• Like 13

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

These are AIR RIFLES!

They allow for viable and effective single-shot training and practicing of sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, and steady breathing.  100% legit sport.

• Like 7

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators

I just had a nice long conversation with John about this hobby.  The average distance used for pinpoint accuracy competition is 11 yards, about 33 ft.  Some folks who live alone may even set up an indoor range within their home!  Even though Bosker is a tiny short fella, my main concern would be his great big radar ears picking up too much noise, even with the suppressor that comes mounted on the airgun.  (Guess I could always keep him downstairs as I plinked.)

The "deer blind" he uses is for keeping him warm in the unheated shop.  A small ceramic heater keeps him cozy as he hones his skill, mid winter in Washington state.  As with any hobby, it is a potential money sink if you opt for some of the higher end equipment.  What a fun looking hobby.  I'm always looking for new ways to spend my kids inheritance!   

Don't worry Bosker, I'll get you ear muffs.

• Like 9

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

You don’t have to shoot at paper targets, pill bottles make great ones.

Pill bottle pilinking with the Hatsan Bullboss 25

BTW the blind is in fact the small 6 foot CLAM camping shelter.30% of right now….

QUICK-SET Clam Traveler 6 x 6 Foot Portable Pop Up Outdoor Camping Gazebo Screen Tent 4 Sided Canopy Shelter with Ground Stakes and Carry Bag, Brown

You also need the 3 sidewall set if you want to heat it.

Thanks Pete.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 5

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

BTW the blind is in fact the small 6 foot CLAM camping shelter.30% of right now….

The swinging pill bottle plinking got me laughing.  What a hoot!

Instead of a 3 sided CLAM with a heater for warmth, you could always move to Texas, where it very seldom cold enough to need it.  Ha!

• Like 3

What an awesome setup and hobby.  With retirement around the corner, I planning on restarting my reloading and target shooting again. I have never been interested in air rifles but after seeing your setup, I am interested!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

9 minutes ago, Rolind said:

What an awesome setup and hobby.  With retirement around the corner, I planning on restarting my reloading and target shooting again. I have never been interested in air rifles but after seeing your setup, I am interested!

Thank you. 

https://topairgun.com/faq/

https://hardairmagazine.com/

Watch lots of videos before you buy.

NEVER PAY RETAIL. These airguns are frequently discounted heavily, up to 40%. They are awkward and heavy to ship, so if you buy from an individual, expect to pay up to $50 for shipping. The online stores have deals with shippers, usually they ship free or for a small fee. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

6 hours ago, John E Davies said:

QUICK-SET Clam Traveler 6 x 6 Foot Portable Pop Up Outdoor Camping Gazebo Screen Tent 4 Sided Canopy Shelter with Ground Stakes and Carry Bag, Brown

Thanks Pete.

John Davies

Spokane WA

This is pretty neat and reminds me of when my dad got me a Crossman air rifle for Christmas when I was 10 years old, and set up a target range in the basement. It was about a 30' range with a plywood backstop against a block wall. I could staple paper targets on the plywood and practice all I wanted. It was pretty much an empty basement besides boxes of Christmas decorations and some exercise equipment. Couldn't hurt much besides a light bulb or window. 

Dad was an Expert rank rifleman in the Marines in the Korean war, and carried the BAR in combat. He used to tell me the average life span of a BAR rifleman in combat was measured in hours. He come home alive after nearly two years of heavy combat engagements. Needless to say he wanted me to hone my skills at a young age, and learn to respect the weapon. 

The rules were simple, never load the gun until I was ready to shoot. Safety on and don't touch the trigger until the bullseye was in my sights. Nobody else besides dad or mom in the basement while I was practicing. And last of all, if anything but the plywood got hit directly by a BB, the gun would be gone. I got the message loud and clear, and didn't want to lose my new gun. 

Thanks for sharing this John, I'm not an airgunner much these days, except for dealing with the occasional vermin in the garden. But I do love practicing with all calibers at the local outdoor range to to stay competent. I'll be following. 

• Like 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

6 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

I have a vintage Diana 100 that is an absolute joy to shoot.  The trigger is amazing and it has same hole accuracy at 10m. 

I have a vintage Diana 24 leaning near the back door to motivate unwelcome critters to move on if they decide to make holes in our home's cedar siding.

• Like 2

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

• Moderator+

For indoor target practice I always enjoyed a Blow-Gun. It takes air to operate it so I don't feel like I'm hi-jacking the thread. I would practice for hours at home nights in the wintertime. I'd set up a cardboard target across the room in front of the wood stove fireplace insert and tape a kitchen match to it. I finally got to the point that I could light the match from about 15 feet away. Not a particularly useful skill I'll admit but you never know when a match wielding thug might break in and need to be rapidly dispatched. If I can hit a match head, surely I can hit a person. You have to be careful though. You wouldn't want to shoot his eye out.

• Haha 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Why aren't you guys posting pics?

This started out as a used cheap ($130 street price)) Diana Chaser .22 CO2 pellet rifle/ pistol kit and morphed into something better. It now has a High Pressure Air adapter so I can tether it to a small 3000 psi “buddy bottle” with a paintball coiled hose. 120 shots before I have to refill with air. It will still shoot with the 12 gram CO2 cartridges, but they are actually quite lame and expensive in the long run. The rifle barrel was cut and threaded by the previous owner to a carbine length. The camo paint was factory done, I added rubber grip panels.

32C18206-D3B0-460C-8E7A-FCA6A08DAF5E.thumb.jpeg.ce6b85e558e732474bae11b87ebfee0a.jpeg

319DA024-360A-4993-B255-1910D29A2158.thumb.jpeg.871267ca07cd3b7d5ab5d5016fc7a485.jpeg

It all fits into my old (discontinued) Allen Takedown Rifle Case.

3FEBD0C4-60F6-44BA-9B0F-5B243BB8088A.thumb.jpeg.7c803383dc597ee9e2d35fe2ed7b0d6b.jpeg

74771F80-E6D1-4E94-886D-F820960C4B1D.thumb.jpeg.83029a2c32d04efa883184e68bf62cc6.jpeg

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/diana-chaser-co2-air-rifle-kit?m=4613

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

Ruger .177 Air Magnum

Got this a few years ago from Gander Mountain as they were liquidating inventory. It is a nice break barrel rifle but cracks as loud as a 22 rim fire. So, I have to be careful shooting outdoors in my neighborhood. Using heavy pellets will slow it to subsonic....but still risks a visit from the local fuzz.

image.png.4b1974b57b2a83198836100578fce522.png

• Like 1