LPG Tank Level Monitor Installation...

MAX Burner

OK, it's dark out, freezing rain, wind is howling like a banshee - you're tucked-in all cozy in your Ollie and the furnace quits.  You don't have the heart to sent your wife out again to check the LPG tank gauges - so you go out and brave the elements to see what's going on inside the dog house.

As those that have one know, you can color that ship, "sailed" by getting a tank monitoring system.

Here's how we handled this MOPEKA modification earlier today:

1. Unpacked the Amazon box, downloaded the app and synchronized the two sensors to the remote using the app.  5 minute drill - easy peasy.

1. Halo Rings, Sensors and Remote.pdf

2. Remove tanks, cleaned bottom of tanks.  Prepped sonar sensor with dielectric and placed in center of bottom of tanks with attached magnets.  Placed halo rings on tanks.

3. Clean bottom of tank, place sensor and halo.pdf

3. Replace tanks, test again...

6. Replace Tanks, Test each again.pdf

4. Fixed VELCRO to back of remote and install inside OTT

8. Mount inside Ollie.pdf

One and done - so far, so good.  We'll report back after a trip or two...

Cheers!

• Thanks 3
  • Like 4

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

I keep trying to talk myself into those - just have not pulled the trigger yet. Will be interested to hear you experience.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

New Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Maxtow Package "Name TBD"
Original and still available Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "
Reset"
Home Base Duncanville, TX

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

Before our last trip Carrie and I added:

Mopeka Pro Check Sensor - Wireless Propane Tank Magnetic Sensor Level Indicator.

Simple easy installation. Just make sure you change the tank size to 30 gallons, if you have that size on your Ollie. 

Kirk

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

We have them on our 30 gallon tanks and they work great. The only thing I had to do was I made some spacers to lift the tanks about 1/4 inch because the unit that mounts to the bottom of the tank is proud of the rim by about 1/8 inch and it hits the ground and or the floor of the dog house. It comes with little aluminum spacers to raise it up but they didn’t work very well. When I take the tank out to fill them you can’t sit the tanks down on the ground or you will brake the sending unit that is stuck on the bottom of thank. Maybe our tanks are made differently but that is the case with ours, but they work great. We like them because we de winterize our Ollie in March and leave the heat at 40 and I can check the tank levels every couple days without even going out to the trailer. 

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

• Moderator+
4 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

OK, it's dark out, freezing rain, wind is howling like a banshee - you're tucked-in all cozy in your Ollie and the furnace quits.  You don't have the heart to sent your wife out again to check the LPG tank gauges - so you go out and brave the elements to see what's going on inside the dog house....

You have gauges on your propane tanks????

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

We had the propane tank monitoring system included in our add-on list when we purchased #1125 last year. Since then we had to have multiple sending units replaced because of manufacturing defects, the battery clips weren't soldered well and kept falling off. When the units were "functional" they were only marginally accurate. After several attempts I finally asked for my money back. I returned the magnetic units and OTT sent me a check. I recommend against using them, the quality of workmanship is very poor and when they are working they are not reliable. Better to  keep one tank turned on and the other off, when you run out of propane, go switch tanks and plan on filling the empty one. in the next day or two. We were getting 2-3 days during the most cold weather in Massachusetts this past winter, down to the low teens, no problem. 

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, AlbertNTerri said:

We had the propane tank monitoring system included in our add-on list when we purchased #1125 last year. Since then we had to have multiple sending units replaced because of manufacturing defects, the battery clips weren't soldered well and kept falling off. When the units were "functional" they were only marginally accurate. After several attempts I finally asked for my money back. I returned the magnetic units and OTT sent me a check. I recommend against using them, the quality of workmanship is very poor and when they are working they are not reliable. Better to  keep one tank turned on and the other off, when you run out of propane, go switch tanks and plan on filling the empty one. in the next day or two. We were getting 2-3 days during the most cold weather in Massachusetts this past winter, down to the low teens, no problem. 

I'm sorry you had this trouble, but if I understand your post correctly, you bought a propane tank monitoring system from Oliver when you purchased Hull #1125. Was it the Mopeka system or SOB? We have had a Mopeka system for going on 5 years and have never had a minutes trouble from it. We replace the batteries in the sending units and the inside receiver/display unit about once a year. They have always performed flawlessly and I recommend them without hesitation.

We partially do the opposite as you with our tanks. Before a trip we have the tanks filled if needed. We hook up both tanks and turn them on. We then just let the Two-Stage Automatic Changeover Regulator do its thing. If one tank empties, the regulator seamlessly begins to supply gas from the other tank. After 15 years of use this way, I can just about know when a tank is getting low. When the monitor tells me it is empty, we will refill it on the road if I think we will need it before getting home.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+
5 hours ago, Bill and Nancy said:

We have them on our 30 gallon tanks and they work great. The only thing I had to do was I made some spacers to lift the tanks about 1/4 inch because the unit that mounts to the bottom of the tank is proud of the rim by about 1/8 inch and it hits the ground and or the floor of the dog house. It comes with little aluminum spacers to raise it up but they didn’t work very well. When I take the tank out to fill them you can’t sit the tanks down on the ground or you will brake the sending unit that is stuck on the bottom of thank. Maybe our tanks are made differently but that is the case with ours, but they work great. We like them because we de winterize our Ollie in March and leave the heat at 40 and I can check the tank levels every couple days without even going out to the trailer. 

I agree with you 100% about the little aluminum spacers that came with the Mopeka system. The idea was spot-on but the execution was crap. We chunked them and sprung for a couple of the Mopeka Tank Halo's. They solved the spacing problem perfectly.

We do a similar thing with our winterization. Since there are so very few days yearly here in North Mississippi that it might get cold enough to damage something in the trailer, sometime in November I drain the water heater, blow out the water lines and put a small electric space heater inside. I like to keep the temperature inside about 60 degrees or so. By mid January, we will fill it back up with water and leave for the Southwestern US to be gone a couple of months.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I agree with you 100% about the little aluminum spacers that came with the Mopeka system. The idea was spot-on but the execution was crap. We chunked them and sprung for a couple of the Mopeka Tank Halo's. They solved the spacing problem perfectly.

We do a similar thing with our winterization. Since there are so very few days yearly here in North Mississippi that it might get cold enough to damage something in the trailer, sometime in November I drain the water heater, blow out the water lines and put a small electric space heater inside. I like to keep the temperature inside about 60 degrees or so. By mid January, we will fill it back up with water and leave for the Southwestern US to be gone a couple of months.

I was not aware of the tank halo or I would have bought them I basically made the same thing but they fall off when I pick the tank up so I need to make sure they stay on when I go to fill the tank. I think I may buy 2 from Mopeke  it will eliminate a problem.

• Like 1

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

10 hours ago, Bill and Nancy said:

It comes with little aluminum spacers to raise it up but they didn’t work very well.

I decided not to use the spacers and opted for the "halo rings".  Only issue there is that it's a bit of a challenge fitting them back into the tank tray - tight, but hey, it still seems to hold 'em in there nicely.  Good comment about the sensors.  Probably a good idea to pull them off when filling tanks - I can see how they could get smashed easily on uneven terrain.

• Like 1

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

7 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Yes.  They came with the braided LPG lines.

spacer.png

7 hours ago, AlbertNTerri said:

We had the propane tank monitoring system included in our add-on list when we purchased #1125 last year.

Albert, I don’t believe OTT installs the Mopeka system, can you confirm please? 

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

8 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Well, we do and we love them as they report via BT in percentage of fill.  We did not use the metal spacers that came with the Mopeka sensors - we used the edge protectors that we had left from the fiberglass bed edges.  Worked well for us.

Charlie.

• Like 3

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 10:51 PM, ScubaRx said:

I bought the Truma Level Check before we took delivery on Hull #1291 last November.  I found it cumbersome to have to remove the "doghouse" every time I needed to check propane level.

After we returned home to Idaho, I purchased the Mopeka system, along with two of the Mopeka tank halos.  The halos create sufficient clearance for the tank sensors, so I did not need the included metal shims.  The sensors are somewhat sensitive to positioning, so they must be carefully centered on the bottom of the tank.  And, when tanks are refilled, I double-check sensor location before hefting the full tanks back into the tank enclosure.

The sensors coordinate seamlessly with the Mopeka app, so I do not need the monitor.  The wireless range is good--about 75 feet, so I have had no issues with checking tank levels using the app inside the tow vehicle or the Ollie. 

https://technorv.com/products/mopeka-sensor-2-pack?variant=43661556875484&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8fDYiPLW_gIV5CutBh3DXAlWEAQYBSABEgKq3PD_BwE

I am pleased so far with the performance of the system.  Much better than having to go outside and remove the "doghouse"  to check tank levels!

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ill throw in another vote in favor of the mopeka. My 3rd night in alaska i ran out of propane sometime in the early morning. that was a cold wake up given that temps were sill dipping down into the negatives at night. immediately ordered the mopeka and they worked pretty much flawlessly. once the tank is nearly empty they do get a little squirly with the readings but its so much better being able to keep track of the levels on my phone than having to go out and check the tanks every day when its that cold.

• Like 2

2018 F150 FX4 5.0v8 

2022 Oliver Elite Hull #1285

2023 Oliver Elite Hull #1434

I tossed my kit after two years - it was very unreliable, and the transmitters ate batteries. I really love the Mopeka rubber halos, they are fantastic. They should come as standard equipment on new Ollies…  They provide a tight fit into the circular rim of the tray, and they completely prevent paint damage and rust on both the tanks and the trays.

John Davies

Spokane WA. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I installed the Mopeka tank sensors earlier this year as part of my Victron Cerbo GX project and I am quite happy with them.  We will see how the hold up long term.

Mossey

1854053853_PropaneTankScreenshot.thumb.png.f4a3cb3a05cce4061107af587b3266d3.png

1284125085_AllTanksScreenshot.thumb.png.d805a581ee2ec1495daeaa29e3dda77f.pngIMG_1138.thumb.jpeg.0f5b7b0da8e09949838f808f605fe740.jpeg

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

We love the victron connect system on our sailboat. @mossemi

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, mossemi said:

Victron Cerbo GX project

Do you use the Cerbo GX with a Victron multiplus or Xantrex? 

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

• Moderators
8 hours ago, rich.dev said:

Do you use the Cerbo GX with a Victron multiplus or Xantrex? 

I use it with a 2000 w Xantrex.  I’ll install a MultiPlus II when the Xantrex fails.

Mossey

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 7:23 PM, John E Davies said:

transmitters ate batteries

We’re using BMPro LP tank sensors - one unit churned through its battery, so Oliver replaced that unit and now both units seem to work ok (batteries still ok after about 8 months, and I checked propane level manually a couple times by weighing tanks to compare with sensor readings). Agree that the Mopeka tank halo is a plus.

Can anyone tell me why they chose Mopeka over BMPro?

‘22 Ram 1500 4x4 Eco-diesel | ‘22 OTT LE2 hull # 1056 | Eastern VA

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Paul and Santina said:

Can anyone tell me why they chose Mopeka over BMPro?

I chose Mopeka because they are supported by Victron's software and interface easily with their GX family of products.  The pictures I shared above are taken from Victron's VRM product servers which are located around the world.  This also gives me the ability to receive email or text alerts such as a low SOC reading from my batteries.

Mossey

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mossemi said:

they are supported be Victron's software and interface easily with their GX family of products.

This is huge, IMO...

• Like 1

spacer.png

4 hours ago, mossemi said:

I use it with a 2000 w Xantrex.

That’s great, I was under the impression you cannot use the Victron Cerbo GX with a third-party inverter, can I PM you with questions about your setup, I don’t want to “muddy/hijack” this thread?

Truma water heater & AC

• Moderators
22 hours ago, rich.dev said:

That’s great, I was under the impression you cannot use the Victron Cerbo GX with a third-party inverter

You are correct, Victron does not communicate with Xantrex.  I will stick with the Xantrex until it quits.  Then I will try to figure out where to place a MultiPlus-2.

Mossey