Lubricating Dump Valves and Cables

• Moderators

ScubaRx and I did a hands on demonstration and discussion about PEX plumbing at the 2022 OTTO's rally.  It seemed to be well received by those that participated.  We were talking recently about lubricating the dump valve cables and the valves themselves and thought it might be a subject for discussion at this years rally if there was enough interest.  So if anyone has interest in this topic, please PM me directly.  And if anyone is having trouble with their dump valves, we might be able to incorporate that into the demonstration/discussion if they are willing to have some “amateur plumbers” in and around their Ollies.  We will limit this offer to 2 Ollies if there are any volunteer victims!

Mossey

• Thanks 2
  • Like 8

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Your PEX presentation and hands on learning started me on my PEX repair abilities.  It was what I needed to get started.  I think the dump valve class would also be good.  Steve showed me what to do years ago and I’ve been able to remove, clean and lube my cables a few times.  Ditto on the valves.  Mike

• Like 8

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

2 hours ago, mossemi said:

ScubaRx and I did a hands on demonstration and discussion about PEX plumbing at the 2022 OTTO's rally.  It seemed to be well received by those that participated.  We were talking recently about lubricating the dump valve cables and the valves themselves and thought it might be a subject for discussion at this years rally if there was enough interest.  So if anyone has interest in this topic, please PM me directly.  And if anyone is having trouble with their dump valves, we might be able to incorporate that into the demonstration/discussion if they are willing to have some “amateur plumbers” in and around their Ollies.  We will limit this offer to 2 Ollies if there are any volunteer victims!

Mossey

Mossemi / Scuba,  this is a great example of what I think would be helpful in terms of videos to walk people through how to perform these tasks.  Doesn't necessarily have to be an Oliver person so long as what is done and video'd is approved by Oliver.  The obvious beauty of the videos (both the "full" length ones and the shorts) is that once they're done, they're available to everyone always. 

• Like 7

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, mossemi said:

This is really short notice for me to start my acting classes, but your point is noted.

No problem - remember that you will be near ScubaRx!😁

• Wow 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+
5 hours ago, connor77 said:

Mossemi / Scuba,  this is a great example of what I think would be helpful in terms of videos to walk people through how to perform these tasks.  Doesn't necessarily have to be an Oliver person so long as what is done and video'd is approved by Oliver.  The obvious beauty of the videos (both the "full" length ones and the shorts) is that once they're done, they're available to everyone always. 

Kevin, if you have the equipment and are so inclined, feel free to video our demo and post it. This is something that everyone will encounter during their tenure as an owner and the procedure is pretty straightforward to observe and do but very hard to comprehend from written instructions. I think you’ve got a great idea. 

• Like 6

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

2 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Kevin, if you have the equipment and are so inclined, feel free to video our demo and post it. This is something that everyone will encounter during their tenure as an owner and the procedure is pretty straightforward to observe and do but very hard to comprehend from written instructions. I think you’ve got a great idea. 

Will do!

• Like 5

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

On 4/18/2023 at 6:54 PM, ScubaRx said:

Steve:

Can you send me a copy of the video or let me know if it gets posted on the forum (or bring it with you in June).

Thanks

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderator+
11 hours ago, dewdev said:

Steve:

Can you send me a copy of the video or let me know if it gets posted on the forum (or bring it with you in June).

Thanks

I don't know if conner77 will have it ready before the end of the rally. We plan on leaving the Alabama Oliver Rally and immediately start slowly heading North to the Maine Oliver Rally. But, I'll be happy to show you how to do it while we're in Booth Bay in June, maybe others will be interested as well.

• Like 5

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Update!

Wayfinder and connor77 have volunteered to have everyone in their Ollie's for the dump valve  discussion!  😮 Just kidding! 😎 We will try to do most of the discussion in a common place and then do a practical demonstration in and around the volunteer's Ollie's.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

We got home from our 2023 OTTO rally trip yesterday and have a couple of days of Ollie cleanup scheduled.  It was a little rainy at the rally, but we had very good time meeting some new owners and reconnecting with old ones.  Now on to the business at hand!

ScubaRx and I would like to apologize to all of you that responded to the dump valve maintenance discussion we had planned for the rally.  As some of you know, Steve was under the weather and cut his rally stay a couple of days short.  He is on the mend and getting better.  This discussion is something we will try to complete at a future rally.

Thank you all,

Mossey

• Like 5
  • Care 1