RAM Pickup Hemi Engine Being Discontinued

dewdev

I was reading on the internet that in 2024 RAM 1500 trucks are likely to be discontinuing the 5.7 Hemi engine.

They are talking about replacing it with the Hurricane 3.0 liter twin turbo V-6  (400 hp, 500 ft lb) engine.  

What do people think of this change?

Will this engine be sufficient to haul my Elite II?

Thanks

• Wow 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

31 minutes ago, dewdev said:

Will this engine be sufficient to haul my Elite II?

Perhaps you should define "sufficient" It is an INLINE six, which is a wonderful engine layout because it places the two turbos side by side where they can easily be serviced, and the engine is inherently balanced and refined (BMW uses them for this reason.) Plus they sound great. It will have lots more usable midrange torque, and like the other manufacturer's turbo engines, it will tow very well.

The main issue is complexity, a non turbo V8 is simple and you will not experience the long term headaches of a small, highly complicated,  highly boosted engine. I would wait a year at least to see if they get the bugs worked out, and if owners are reporting any problems. If I were in the market for a Ram HD truck and they offered a version of this engine, I would definitely consider it. But the rational part of my head says buy a Ford Godzilla V8.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-advice/inline-6-versus-v6-why-are-straight-sixes-making-a-comeback

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/godzilla-truck-is-the-73-liter-v8-ford-f-250-a-throwback-big-block-muscle-pickup/

It is up to you, I think the Hurricane would be a highly satisfying engine, from a driving perspective, in a 1500 truck, but be sure to buy an extended warranty before the factory one expires...

John Davies

Sp[okane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Change is hard, isn't it!  I love our e-Hemi for towing.  That first wheel turn via electric is wonderful.

Oh, well.

Charlie.

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

But the rational part of my head says buy a Ford Godzilla V8.

I agree with @John E Davies assessment. IF you really wanted the new Ram engine, don’t buy it first year. 

Having said that, I bought my F-250 Godzilla 7.3L V8 in 2020, the first year it came out. The reason behind my decision was Ford’s exhaustive testing of that engine and the fact that it was essentially a replica of some very successful engines they have fielded in the past.

Ford tested this engine in Class C RV’s with Bob Tiffin for a year before announcing they would replace the V-10 that was being used in all those vehicles.  They also deployed it to several metropolitan areas in utility trucks without revealing that it was the “NEW” V8 and logged over a million miles with the engine just in that category.

I have 55,000 miles on the truck now and over 30,000 of that was towing! We lived full time in our Airstream for over a year and we never had any issues with low or mid range torque or HP climbing passes out in CO or WY.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Brian

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

I have 55,000 miles on the truck now and over 30,000 of that was towing! We lived full time in our Airstream for over a year and we never had any issues with low or mid range torque or HP climbing passes out in CO or WY.

Do you mind sharing your mpgs towing and empty?

Thanks

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

24 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Do you mind sharing your mpgs towing and empty?

Not at all.  I have the 10 speed transmission (a collaboration between Ford and GM) and generally use it in ECO - Mode when not towing.  Around town I get around 13, highway I get around 15 and towing I get around 11-12 unless I am in the mountains and it goes down considerably.

All this will likely change now that my total rig weight is 2,000 pounds lighter than towing the 30’ AS. 

BL

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4