External Suitcase solar connector

Mcdoogs

Hi all!  I have a 2023 LE2 w/ Lithium Platinum package, which has the Zamp port already hooked up directly to the batteries.  I’m 💯on the need for a controller, but I was wondering if anyone else has balked on paying 5x per watt for Zamp portable panels versus other brands like Renogy.  If someone has, what adapters did you use to connect your suitcase solar controller to the Zamp SAE port (which apparently has reversed polarity because capitalism)?  

I simply reversed the +/- leads within Ollie - it's now matches my non-Zamp portables.

Charlie.

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

• Moderators

You can also buy adapters that reverse the polarity.  Here is one example:

Sunway Solar SAE Polarity Reverse Adapter Connectors For SAE To SAE Quick Disconnect Extension Cable, Solar Panel Battery Power Charger And Maintainer-3Pack https://a.co/d/biyVWnv

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

19 hours ago, CnC said:

I simply reversed the +/- leads within Ollie - it's now matches my non-Zamp portables.

Charlie.

Oh interesting, so just swap the leads on the battery terminals? Clever!

9 hours ago, mossemi said:

You can also buy adapters that reverse the polarity.  Here is one example:

Sunway Solar SAE Polarity Reverse Adapter Connectors For SAE To SAE Quick Disconnect Extension Cable, Solar Panel Battery Power Charger And Maintainer-3Pack https://a.co/d/biyVWnv

Mossey

Thanks for the link!

• Sad 1

Do NOT swap them at the BATTERIES! You could safely swap them at the back of the sidewall connector. But either is a bad move IMHO just buy the adapter, and verify that there is a fuse of the correct size in the positive line going to the batteries. If you swap them at the batteries the color coding will now be wrong, and the fuse will be in the negative wire, and that hot one will now be completely unprotected.  If it should short out a LOT of current can flow back from the batteries through it. 10 AWG wire is rated at 30 amps continuous, and will melt instantly with maybe two or three times that current. Zzzzzzap! 

Older Ollies with the Furrion port should have a 10 amp fuse, the max that the port can tolerate, but I don’t know the size for the Zamp one.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.