Propane cover port hole cover

bsullivan

Go to any marine store having the size of the porthole with  you..

West Marine if one is near you. If all that fails contact OTT.

Also it would be helpful to people responding to you to include in your signature area or in your profile what year and model trailer you have.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

We did, too. We ordered one from Oliver that didn't fit our 2019 (they apparently have changed the one they use since then) and found one on Amazon that did fit. It looks a little different than the original but fit the existing screw holes.

• Like 4

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILKYLAMSMONMOKTNTXUT99FFFFsm.jpg

It was a bit chilly on our recent trip and sometimes I'd turn on the propane and run the furnace during lunch stops. Every time we got back on the road I'd ask myself, "Did I put the cover back on?" I'm determined to throw that cover on the front seat of the truck during stops from now on.

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Yet another example of why one should "tether" that cover to the Ollie.

Bill

Yep, after a couple of close calls with mine trying to run away and become a wild free range cover, it’s now on a short leash.  It never unthreaded on its own though.  The close calls were due to me leaving it laying on top of the doghouse when getting ready to leave a campground.  Stainless tether from Amazon, link below.   Problem solved. 

https://a.co/d/5ipX5mE

image.thumb.jpeg.d86bd442ab4f8f4b3fde80e4d8de64e2.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, bsullivan said:

Where can I get a replacement?

The nubs on ours broke off on the way home from Tennessee to Idaho.  I opened a service ticket with Oliver, but was advised that the manufacturer does not warrant them. 

I could not find an exact replacement for the one Oliver installed in the propane tank cover.  So, I ordered this screw-in 6" porthole assembly from Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZWYNVL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because the one Oliver uses has nubs that fit into the outside ring, to install the screw-in kind, I had to remove the original ring from the porthole cover and replace it with the ring that comes with the screw-in replacement.  Not very hard, just remove 6 screws, pull the ring out, and use the same screws to install the ring that comes with the replacement.

You should only have to do this once.  The screw-in replacement is much more secure than the one Oliver uses, and has no nubs to break off.

• Like 6

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Maybe give the threads a shot of WD-40 Brand Dry Lube with Teflon. 
That makes them a bit easier to thread on and off.

I was thinking about going the other way, to one with tabs...as they may be easier to open ....but will not do that after seeing your post.

CS

• Like 3

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Galway Girl said:

was thinking about going the other way, to one with tabs...as they may be easier to open ....but will not do that after seeing your post.

I switched to the 1/4 turn porthole and lid a year or so back due to the discoloration of the original.  I also moved the tether from the old cover to the new one.  I still lube the threads, there’s just less to lube!  My tether was in the parts bag of some shop lights I installed in the past.

Mossey

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderator+

Would someone please explain to me why you need this port?

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

6 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

The only time I use this port is when I turn on or turn off my LP tanks. Naturally this could also be done by just removing the dog house cover.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
10 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Not sure if it’s a need but it’s there and I use it because it facilitates the removal and replacement of the cover for the propane housing.  I remove the porthole cover and stick my left arm through the hole and pickup up the cover, using the my right hand for stability.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Besides - 

How else are you going to feed the dogs that live in there?😁

• Haha 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

12 minutes ago, mossemi said:

Not sure if it’s a need but it’s there and I use it because it facilitates the removal and replacement of the cover for the propane housing.  I remove the port hole cover and stick my left arm through the hole and pickup up the cover, using the my right hand for stability.

Mossey

Thanks Mossey, 
I will have to try that technique. I use to be able to do the “Hokey Pokey”  so maybe I can just run my left arm through, pick up that cover with my right arm, turn myself around and set that cover down. 😅

• Haha 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

10 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I find removing the propane tank cover to be cumbersome, and hard on my aged back.  I can do it, but don't like to do it very often.  Removing the porthole cover is easy, and enables me to reach in and turn the propane tank valves on and off.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

I find removing the propane tank cover to be cumbersome, and hard on my aged back.  I can do it, but don't like to do it very often.  Removing the porthole cover is easy, and enables me to reach in and turn the propane tank valves on and off.

I should have been more explicit in my comments about the removal of the propane box cover!  I generally only remove the cover for tank refills.  And like you, I do open and close the tank valves via the porthole access.

Mossey

• Like 1