EZE RV Gutters

SeaDawg

I ran across these aluminum gutter strips over the weekend and thought I'd post them here.  I don't know if they'd be a better alternative or not.  You can't bend them so they'd have to run past the windows a bit, and of course they wouldn't blend in like the vinyl ones do.  But I think they'd stay in place much better.

Eagle Mouldings Aluminum J-Cap Drip Gutter

• Moderators

All our gutters are still in place, almost 3 years later, except the ones removed to reset one window, and replace the bath window with the newer insulated window.

Prep is very important. As is, I think, temperature. We mounted ours in the summer. Probably July? I remember that the rhodos were in bloom.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

So, there's been some discussion lately on eze gutters, so I thought I'd resurrect this (very) old thread.

We didn't have acetone around, so we used windex all around first, then cleaned carefully with 70 per cent alcohol. This is to remove layers of wax buildup. Or, with newer unwaxed trailers, remove mold release.

The toothbrush was a tool to smooth, press apply the adhesive to the trailer, using the handle as a pressor. Of course, i volunteered Paul's. ( lol, no,, it was an old toothbrush.)

I'm happy to report that our gutters are still in place, in 2019, 5 years later. Except that darn little bathroom window. I think it's just too tight a curve. I've tried it again somewhere in the last five years, and it fell off again. Even done in very hot summer weather. And same good prep. Oh, well. Done with that. It never leaked anyway, just wanted it to match... shh, don't tell anyone it doesn't match, ok?

Our biggest issue has always been the big port side window, because of our side mounted solar panels. Once we figured that out, and kept those weepholes cleaned regularly, and the panel angle set to not run a waterfall toward the weepholes, it's been good.

Not an issue for you folks with roof mounted panels...

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 7 months later...

Sherry, when you installed the EZ Gutter was the red backing on the tape solidly attached to the sticky tape?  I ask because my resent installed gutters are lifting and I was wondering if the product was old.  
I followed all the directions and need some advice.  
Thanks, karen

• Moderators

Karen, as I recall the backing was quite stuck to the product. 

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Kgeb - 

The only "failure" I've had with my EZ gutters has been where the 3M tape actually loosened from the gutter - not the Oliver.  To fix this I removed the tape from both the gutter (where it was still stuck) and from the Oliver.  Then I cleaned both surfaces and applied a thin coating of "E6000" (available at WalMart, Amazon, etc.) to the back of the gutter and pressed it in place.  I then used "painter's tape" to hold the gutter in place overnight.  That was now over two years ago and the gutter has not failed again.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I put up another round of EZ gutters last year after a less than satisfactory installation a couple of years ago.  They are all still firmly attached, even the bathroom window.  The problem with the first installation was a sudden drop in temperature after the installation (80s when installed, low 40s later that night).  Last year I reinstalled exactly the way I did before except the warm/hot weather continued for several weeks.  The blue tape was firmly attached to the gutter material when I did the install.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 2 months later...

Getting ready to install EZ gutters on our new Ollie. I ordered 20’ a few months ago. A great source of info here. 
Thank you to all who contributed helpful install pointers.

-David

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Besides having a consistent temperature, would it also help to install while the trailer is going to be idle to give the adhesive time to cure?

Has anyone asked Oliver why they don't install gutters during the build?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Besides having a consistent temperature, would it also help to install while the trailer is going to be idle to give the adhesive time to cure?

I wouldn’t stick the gutters on and then leave for a camping trip.  I think being parked for a few warm days ensures a lasting installation. 

• Thanks 2

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

A beautiful 78 degree gorgeous North Carolina foothills morning and time for Hull# 634 to have EZE gutters installed. The install went really well and we are happy with the results. My bride was my extra set of hands which really helped. I will leave the painters tape on for another day or two ensuring a good curing of gutter adhesion material. We let the gutter material heat up in the sun which made it easier to work with. 
We ordered the Bright White gutter color for our 2020 Ollie which matched up perfect. 

We even did a gen set cargo box fit check with our new Honda Handi eu3000i and all is well.

Thanks to everyone who posted up on EZE gutter install info. 

Another mod done!

-David

BEC01EE8-1E40-431F-9BEF-5A2BF9B1DD8D.jpeg

FD5AB90D-6B4E-4B30-A8E2-3245BC639FB4.jpeg

451F757B-7FF8-4DE2-BCA9-A8D9D3FD2DF1.jpeg

A76D1885-B9CC-489A-8C48-99A31DF21840.jpeg

9E274960-F801-4F40-9B0B-D0CEA06A8CAF.jpeg

55671BE2-CF77-46A0-9A7B-1D52223DFCCB.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

That looks really nice, Patriot!

I think the painter's tape is a good idea for the first day.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I methodically cleaned the areas with 3M Adhesive cleaner, applied the  EZE gutters, and presto they are secured like "glue".  Many miles later and doing well. No tape was harmed in the install of the gutters.

• Haha 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 10 months later...

Rounding back on this old subject.  I'm interested in installing the EZE Gutter on my E2.  Have never done it before.  As far as placement goes, do you place the gutter right up against the sealed edge of the window frame?  If so, if the window requires resealing, is it neccessary to remove the gutter material to allow space to remove and reapply the window frame sealant?

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

I've asked about that as well.  A side benefit should be that the caulk should last much longer since it will be shaded from the sun.  And I guess you could just caulk between the gutter and the window without taking it off and reinstalling it.

Alternatively, you could put the gutter on the frame itself. 

• Moderators

I put the gutter right up against the frame.  Not saying that’s where it should be, to me it looked best and made it easy keep it straight and aligned with the window.  I’ve seen others with a significant gap between the gutter and the window frame.  Mike

6732E891-EF6A-4BF9-B559-8038683B4947.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone that posted on this topic, lots of good advice.  I put the gutters on my trailer today.  It was 85 degrees in Franklin, TN today, so a great day to do it.  I was having trouble with water coming in mainly the dinette window.  I replaced all the window seals, but didn't notice any difference.  I then caulked all the porch lights and did a little touch up around some of the windows.  That made a big difference, but I was still noticing some water intruding.  I really didn't want to add the gutters for cosmetic reasons, but finally bit the bullet.  They ended up being very easy to install, thanks to all your advice...and if mounted right up against the window, it almost looks like it was made that way.  Again, thanks for all the help!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Franklin, TN
2018 Elite II #315
Tow Vehicle: 2020 Ram 1500

ALARCOCTGAILINIAKSKYMEMAMIMSMONHNJNMNYNCOHOKPASCTNTXVTVAWIsm.jpg

Ditto on the thanks. I put mine on yesterday in temps bordering on 70. I preheated the gutter material and the fiberglass (which I'd cleaned first with SImple Green then with alcohol all with much elbow grease to get it fanatically clean!!) and it went on pretty easily, looks good, and is still well stuck there this morning. I should have gotten to this task back when we had hotter summer weather here but I think the tape's glue should still spread as required to bond well but just take a few days based on reading some 3M bulletins 🙂

• Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

We are getting ready to order EZE Gutter for our new LE2.  We have been looking over this thread for guidance on the installation and color.  So far we have seen Ollie owners use Ultra White and Bright White with good color matches.  Right now none of those whites are currently available.  However Polar white can be ordered.  Has anyone used Polar white or know if the color matches the hull?  
thanks everyone 

Pam

TV 2018 F150 3.5 liter eco-boost with max tow package, hull #836 “LC”