EZE RV Gutters

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Paul and I spent the last two weeks camped on our property outside Asheville, NC. Among our chores, the "shabin" got a new coat of paint on three sides, Paul plumbed hot water into the bathroom, and we installed the EZE RV gutters over all the windows in the Oliver.

Paul did a great job, I think, and they look really nice, as if they came with the trailer. We chose the UltraWhite color, which matches the white gelcoat really closely.

In some of those heavy downpours (what Pete so poetically calls "frog drowning gully washers," ) our weepholes would become overwhelmed. Especially, when the rain washes off the sidemount solar panels, and runs like a wide open hose down the side of the big window over the dinette... overwhelming even super clean weep holes.

So far, we're happy. The gutters should divert some of the rain away from the window. Haven't had one of those "frog drowners" yet since installation, though, so I'll let you know. Since it's monsoon season in Florida, I should know soon.

I took a bunch of photos (Paul claimed editorial rights... probably wants to make sure I got him modeling the right beer tee shirt...)

and I'll post those soon.

He reported that the material was really easy to work with, after leaving it in the sun for thirty minutes or so. Sticks like crazy with 3m adhesive already applied. I think he did a very professional job. Under my supervision, of course. :D

It's really a one person job, but he let me help. Hand me the alchohol, I need another paper towel, hand me the pvc cutters, please etc... Makes me feel useful. Probably would have been faster if he worked alone. Oh, well.

Then I could get back to painting and building a campfire...

Sherry

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Can't wait to see those photos ! Bett and I are camped on Lake Ouachita doing about the same thing, small chores and campfire tending mostly, interrupted by an occasional dip in the lake. We really enjoyed the tour of your mountain hideout area and refer to it often in our conversations. It was a great time spent with you guys.

• Thanks 1

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• 4 weeks later...

Sherry,

I read with interest about your EZE gutters, I forgot to ask Robert about having them installed when we ordered out II last week. I would be interested in seeing a picture of them installed. It sounds like it may be a good idea to keep the water away from the window.

Stan

• Like 1

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators

Stan, I'll look for the photos and try to post something tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder.

It's monsoon season in Florida. We've had some pretty good rainstorms, and I do think the EZE RV gutters are a keeper. (Good thing, as that 3m adhesive is major sticky stuff.) I've gone in to check the big window after a storm, and the tracks are dry. We especially have an issue if our sidemount solar panels are tilted in a pattern that sends the rain down like a mini waterfall.

Congrats again on your decision to become part of the Oliver gang! We wish you lots of happy travels.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sherry,

We are going to install the rain gutters as well and I was wondering how much you used to cover all the windows? I saw they sold it as 10 feet and 50 feet only....at least at Camper World. Not sure which to get. Glad they have worked out well. We are hoping they help with leaks....along with deeper weep hole cleaning....

Karen

• Like 1

• Moderators

Karen, our CampingWorld only stocked 10 ft rolls. We used all but about 3 feet of two rolls to do all our windows, including the tiny bathroom window, so about 17 feet. The UltraWhite (as opposed to white, which is really kind of off white) matches the gelcoat just about perfectly.

I've seen it on Amazon in varying size rolls, if your campingworld only stocks the big motorhome sized rolls.

It is cheaper in the longer rolls, however, if you know someone to split a big roll with.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thanks Sherry,,,we are ordering it today. Along with a solar pkg. Really trying to get those loose ends tied up now so when the BIG trip comes up, we are all set to go.

I see you also have an 08 Sherry. Did your windows have gaskets? Have you had to replace or re caulk your windows yet? Our "new to us" Oliver is an 08 as well. I have no idea the hull number or where to find it. I think Robert told me once but I forgot. :mrgreen:

Hoping the gutters and more thorough weep hole cleaning does the trick....but am thinking they might need more. Thanks again.

Karen

• Moderators

My husband and his friend reset the rear window and one of the side windows with butyl tape, and I think that's what you mean by gasket material. It's been around forever, seals up tight, and lasts a long time. It comes in a light grey, along with black. We used the light grey. It's available online, or just about any rv shop. It is definitely a two man job to remove and reset the big windows. The rear window doesn't have weepholes, and not much overhang from the small eyebrow, so we feel the eze rv gutters are a good addition there, as well as on the windows with weepholes that can be overcome by really heavy rains.

Where's the next BIG trip? We'll be off to North Carolina later this year, and going to western New York for a wedding, camping along the way. Not as far as we'd like to go, but further than any trip the last couple years.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Hey Sherry, we are going to Canada in September. Lake Superior Provincial Park where we will trying out our new solar system. Then this winter, we are off for a three month long trip to the southwest...no reservations! Maybe that's not smart but I love the idea of wandering around and not having to be somewhere until I'm ready to be there....ha ha ha :lol: we will see how that works!

We are getting the EZE gutters regardless....I think we may need some more work than that however as I see cracks in the molding around the windows. Not sure how to fix that. A call to Tennessee probably.

I have noticed very few people have Michigan on their maps. Well, if you find yourself in the U.P. of Michigan, give us a shout out!

Happy Trails,

Karen

• Moderators

Karen,

Ditto if you go southeast rather than southwest. We'd love to meet you.

Chances are, sometime in the next few years, we will get to the UP.

You are so close to the beautiful Canadian provincial parks. ONe year, we did a top of the lakes trips, crossing over above the Thousand Isles, and coming back thru Minnesota. The next year, we travelled thru Ny (Adirondacks and Catskills), up into Quebec, and a circle thru eastern Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, back thru NB, and home thru Maine and New England. One of our most memorable trips.

We loved Lake Superior Park. Hope you do too.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Sherry if you make it up here to the great U.P., try to come in the fall. It is so beautiful. My sister lives in Venice so I get to Florida every year. Now that we have the Ollie, we are thinking of coming late October/ early November next year! Already have this fall mapped out! We will make sure to look you up!

I love the Canadian Providential Parks. They do a great job! We went to that park years ago with our little vintage camper. I have dreamed of returning in September when I retired and so this year is my first year not getting my classroom ready but instead, my Ollie! :D

So we have a little bit of time to get the windows working and hooking up our solar panels and we are good to go!

Karen

• Moderators

Well, let's see if the resizing worked and this will upload:

a44a6f34-0317-4352-934c-863189fed687.jpg

this is the rear of our Oliver with the new EZE RV gutter.

Resizing didn't work for me. I resorted back to photobucket free account.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Well, that worked, so we'll try a couple more:

DSCF3524.jpg

Paul working on curbside window.

DSCF3534.jpg

Curbside window complete

DSCF3533.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

And, well, since this is going so well, a few more:

The tools of application.

DSCF3531.jpg

(minus the beer..., optional, but recommended...)

The roadside windows

DSCF3536.jpg

Nope, not moldy. Just reflecting all the green on a beautiful July afternoon...

DSCF3483.jpg

Take a break and enjoy the rhodos!

DSCF3506.jpg

Rear window reflecting the trees. Nice job on the gutter, Paul.

DSCF3478Paulampwarrenhavingstogies.jpg

All the windows are done. A little relaxation time around the campfire later!

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Thanks, Larry,

I think Paul did a great job, and they look like factory issue. We got the UltraWhite. It takes about 17 or 18 ft to do the whole camper, including the tiny bathroom window. So, we have a little left from two 10 ft. rolls.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Hey Sherry,

If i join you guys up on the continental divide sometime, would your applicator guy do mine? I'll bring the EZ Gutter materials and some refreshments for The Shabin! :lol:

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

I'll bet we could work something out... Sure would be nice to see you and Oscar again!

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

You betcha!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderators

The awning, deployed or retracted does direct roof runoff away from the curbside window, and the door. We added the gutter to the curbside window just because we thought it would look better if all the windows had the same "trim."

Our biggest problems with weepholes being overcome are often of our own making: 1. dirty weepholes 2. our sidemount solar panels, left adjusted at a certain angle, can send rainwater down in a sheet onto the port side windows. This we discovered, unfortunately, in the middle of a hard, cold rainstorm that swept through our side of the mountain on a cool summer night. Unable to adjust the panels in the rain, Paul jacked up the port side with the electric jack.

Since then, if heavy rain is in the forecast, we try to remember to check the adjustment on the panels before we retire.

Often, we do set up our trailer with the port side a little higher anyway. That's the head of the bed side for us, and if our site needs to be a smidge out of level, it's more comfortable sleeping that way.

By the way CpaHarley2008, welcome to the forum. You've asked a lot of good questions on your first visit here, and offered some great comments and info as well.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators

Gals and Guys,

Its been almost a year since this EZE gutter topic was talked about. So, how is the EZE gutter holding up? Does it still work as planned? Did any of it come loose? If yes, how did you re-attach it? Does it still match the color of the gel-coat? On the install - would you lengthen or shorten the sides any and if so by how much?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I just bought 20 feet after seeing these at Cherokee. You tube has a video on installing which makes it look eze. The tip is to warm up the strip with a hair dryer. Any additional tips are appreciated.

• Like 1

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

• Moderators

The EZE RV Gutter is truly easy to install. We were dry camping, so no hair dryer available (no power.) We set ours out in the noon day sun, and it worked fine to take some of the curl out of the loop of gutter.

Most important, take your time and get the prep right. (Gee, isn't that the same with just about anything?)

Clean, then clean again, the area where the gutter will be applied. I used alchohol,which cuts through the layers of wax, with a clean dry cloth, two times. Rubbing hard. Make sure everything is dry before you start affixing gutter.

The rest is just not that tough. Make sure you have a stepstool, actually two, if you have a helper. We used the back of a toothbrush to smooth the gutter onto the hull after it was in place, but a thumb or any tool handle would probably work. Be patient, take your time, and don't peel off too much backing at once. Once it' s in place, the product should be where you want it to be. Paul used a pvc pipe cutter to cut the lengths, but a good sharp utility knife would likely work, too.

Everything is holding up well. Still nice and bright. Get the bright white, not the other one that's kind of off white.

I think it's been on a year and a half now. I'll have to look. I believe the adhesive attached is 3m vhb tape, and if it's not, it's a really good facsimile thereof.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4