Gerard Awning is Useless

LeBill

We have a brand new OE 1 with a nice Girard awning. I can’t think of a situation where the awning adds anything to our experience. It doesn’t handle rain,wind,or snow. In the direct sun, being black on top and underneath it is actually hotter beneath it than without it. It appears to be pretty delicate, so I’m reluctant to even use it. There is no easy way to clear off tree droppings prior to roll it in. I see it as an unnecessary appendage. What am I missing?

• Like 1

LeBill

Elite I  Hull 1352  

2021 Jeep Gladiator

Northwestern NC (retired)

• Moderators

I didn’t know about black awnings!  I thought they were all lighter colors.  I can see where that would absorb heat.  The Fiamma awning can lower enough in the front to allow clearing of leaves and debris.  Not sure about the automatic awnings.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

LeBill, I read somewhere that rubbing alcohol will clean sap. We went out west last summer and a few spots..  I didn’t have rubbing alcohol so I used hand sanitizer it’s 70% alcohol,put it on let stand for a few minutes. Washed off with water..worked real good..Check the Girard manual too… good luck and H@ppy camping…

• Like 1

2022 Elite I  # 1179  |  2024 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crewmax. 5.5 ft. Bed. 3.31gears 10 spd.trans

• Moderators

I'm sad that you don't like your awning. That said, I  love mine. 

I also wish there were an option for Elite I,  especially,  for a manual awning, like ours. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

12 hours ago, LeBill said:

here the awning adds anything to our experience. It doesn’t handle rain,wind,or snow. In the direct sun, being black on top and underneath it is actually hotter beneath it than without it.

A few ideas to help you enjoy your awning as hundreds of other Oliver owners do.  My 2021 had a choice of fabric with an upgrade for the Girard awning,  the fabric is called Bravia, it’s similar to Sunbrella.  It’s  a breathable acrylic fabric.   Not quite waterproof, but very water resistant.   We sit under it in the rain and don’t get wet.   The benefit is it is much cooler than the an acrylic vinyl that is standard, and the black color does not seem to radiate heat.   I’m not sure this is an option on newer models.   It’s costly but you can change the fabric out on your awning..   See this link for a previous discussion about awning fabrics and colors.

Awnings

We like to keep the awning open a foot or two on rainy nights when the rain is steady, and the wind mild.  I often have that curb side window open over my bunk which lets in a cool breeze with the roof fan on.    

You can keep the awning out on in very mild wind by turning off the power.   Just make sure you are nearby and paying close attention to rescue it if the wind picks up.   I’ve never tried it, but you can also secure it with awning poles, but the same precautions should be followed.   See this link for a discussion and testimonials.

Awning Poles

• Like 3

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

specifically I was referring to small twigs and leaves and seed pods being rolled up into the awning, without a ladder, short of parking next to a picnic table, there's not an easy way to brush it off. Our fabric appears to be something like sunbrella, but black, both top and bottom.  I hadn't considered only putting it out halfway or less, I can try that.  I'll keep trying the awning, but as it is today, I'm seriously considering taking it off and storing it.

Previously, on an earlier class A, we had a Zip-Dee awning that was awesome. it had two points of attachment at each end, and could be sloped a lot to shed rain. The Zip-Dee rolled up in a reverse manner, which meant that stuff naturally just fell off as it was rolling.

Thanks for the hints.

• Like 1

LeBill

Elite I  Hull 1352  

2021 Jeep Gladiator

Northwestern NC (retired)

4 hours ago, LeBill said:

I was referring to small twigs and leaves and seed pods being rolled up into the awning, without a ladder, short of parking next to a picnic table, there's not an easy way to brush it off.

Yup, I get that, it’s a hassle.   I stand on a picnic table, or my truck tailgate if needed, and brush it off with a light broom.  Usually most of the stuff seems to blow off unless it’s wet.   If you do take the awning  off, you could go with a lightweight tent awning such as the MoonShade XL.   I got mine for $445 in a Kickstarter sale.  My plan is to use it on the street side, since I don’t  have the optional awning on that side. 

Awning Shade Screens

MoonShade XL

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250