Closet floor Weight Capacity / weight distribution?

I’m considering transporting 20 gallons of water or 160 lbs (four 5-gallon containers) on the closet floor.

Does anyone know if concentrating this much weight (160 LBS) on the closet floor would be too much weight or create other concerns?

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, taylor.coyote said:

I’m considering transporting 20 gallons of water or 160 lbs (four 5-gallon containers) on the closet floor.

Does anyone know if concentrating this much weight (160 LBS) on the closet floor would be too much weight or create other concerns?

Unless you have FLA batteries,  you’re putting an additional 160 pounds on the already heavy side. The floor will easily hold up the weight. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

It will probably be fine as a static load, just don’t hit any potholes or washboard. Check with the factory, I bet they say no. Maybe 10 gallons sitting on an extra piece of 3/4” plywood…

John Davies

Spokane WaaA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John, good suggestion to ask the factory and a plywood base. I'm now thinking of making a milk crate like base with low sides for the water jugs

Fieldbrook, Ca

The factory replied. They said the closet has a frame cross beam under the closet and putting 165-lbs in the bottom of the closet is ok. They did caution to be mindful of the additional tongue weight.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Fieldbrook, Ca

1 hour ago, taylor.coyote said:

The factory replied. They said the closet has a frame cross beam under the closet and putting 165-lbs in the bottom of the closet is ok. They did caution to be mindful of the additional tongue weight.

Great, so I can bring all my shoes!😂😜

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators
On 5/1/2023 at 2:01 PM, taylor.coyote said:

That weight goes in our truck bed.

Like @Katjo the closet is reserved for shoes.. (and jackets)

We're always mindful of too much weight in the closet, or shower floor. And, want to keep it balanced.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+
3 hours ago, Cameron said:

I didn't know the trailer has a heavy side. I would have guessed the street side due to batteries.

Thus my caveat: "Unless you have FLA batteries..."

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Any batteries,  I'd try to balance it. First off,,those 5 gallon containers in the TV.

Not possible in the tv?  2 in the closet, two in the shower, all strapped in somehow, or wedged. 

In our little Elite 1, I'd hate the extra 160 pounds forward adding to tongue weight. Hence, our full water containers ride in the truck.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

Four AGM 6V FLA batteries will weigh about 265 pounds. Conservatively, you will have about 200 usable Ah.

Three Battle Born 100 Ah batteries (this all that will easily fit into the existing battery tray) will weigh about 95 pounds and you will have essentially 300 usable Ah.

One of Oliver's installed GTX12V315A-E2107-CS200 optional battery packs will weigh about 68 pounds and you will have essentially 315 usable Ah.*

One of Oliver's installed GTX12V630A-E2112-CS200 optional battery packs will weigh about 128 pounds and you will have essentially 630 usable Ah.*

* You should probably limit your use to no more than 90% of capacity

• Like 4

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

Four AGM 6V FLA batteries will weigh about 265 pounds. Conservatively, you will have about 200 usable Ah.

Three Battle Born 100 Ah batteries (this all that will easily fit into the existing battery tray) will weigh about 95 pounds and you will have essentially 300 usable Ah.

One of Oliver's installed GTX12V315A-E2107-CS200 optional battery packs will weigh about 68 pounds and you will have essentially 315 usable Ah.*

One of Oliver's installed GTX12V630A-E2112-CS200 optional battery packs will weigh about 128 pounds and you will have essentially 630 usable Ah.*

* You should probably limit your use to no more than 90% of capacity

And, is that now balanced port to starboard with the electric (lighter) fridge?

It's all  a balance game, as we all  know.

Personally,  I'd be more concerned about 160 lbs up forward, on one side/off center, with 160 pounds of water in the closet.

. Nothing balancing the other side,  on tongue weight , with an elite I. Maybe not as much of an issue, with your 2's.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I’m always very conscious of how we pack the camper, weight wise I try to keep balance of equal weight front and back,  I never want it too heavy in the front because of tow weight nor too heavy in the rear for sway. 
Most of our heaviest items go in the truck.

I agree with @SeaDawg it’s all a balance game. 

• Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

6 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

our full water containers ride in the truck.

Exactly!  We boondock 50/50% of the time - doesn't matter if it's a long weekend or a multi-week adventure, the TV hauls the 5gal treated water containers.  We love how easy it is filling the OTT's fresh water tank procedure vs. what we had to do in the AS - no more wasted water after trying to fill the water tank!!!  

Let's don't forget how nice all the engineering designed features and details we have with Ollie's as compared to all the other SOBs, right?

• Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Reading through this thread this morning I like the many perspectives being shared. But the best part is for a new person with minimal or no travel trailer towing experience, it quickly becomes obvious that loading and balancing for proper tongue weight is a concern and focus for the experienced and for good reasons.

We are fortunate in that Oliver has engineered our trailers to be easy if not forgiving in this respect. We do have a considerable amount of cargo capacity, so it is important to be mindful of the placement of cargo in relation to balance and especially tongue weight. This also emphasizes the importance of understanding the capacities of your tow vehicle. Everything you put in the trailer effects  the TV loading. If you are operating on a thin margin with the TV it is critical to be mindful of all these considerations. 

A good emphasis on tongue weight is the focal point because that is the one factor that will most effect stability and safe handling of the trailer while driving. It also effects the steering characteristics of TV. The last thing you want to do is add weight to the rear in a way that reduces tongue weight, especially weight at the bumper hitch. It's fine if it offsets weight added to the front but should never cause a reduction in tongue weight below the 10-12% that's required for stability. Like @Katjoeluded to, weight added to the rear hitch has a way of magnifying the "whip effect".

Point being it's wise to be mindful of loading cargo, especially heavy cargo. For a new person my advice would be to stay mindful of all these factors, and if you load a certain way and notice a change in stability, consider alternatives to the load to improve. Each of us kind of seek out the sweet spot for a TV/trailer combination. Great discussion folks.

• Like 4

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

• 1 month later...

Yet another excellent post for learning! 

That closet is where I stowed my telescoping ladder, tool box, tackle box, a portable fan, bucket, dirty laundry bag, shoes, extra peat and TP. All my clothes fit in the rear-most overhead compartment above the TV. I'll move those tools out of there. 

I've carried several 1-gallon jugs of water on the floor but I tucked them under the dining table, and they stayed put. I don't tow with water in the tank, and I have a composting toilet so I don't carry black water either. I do have the solar lithium batteries. What makes the starboard side heavy -- is it the appliances? 

So this is all new to me for consideration, the caution of keeping weight off the tongue (in the trailer, and I'm assuming ALSO in the rear-most part of the truck bed?) but ALSO not letting the tongue be too light? What? 

I've already started weighing my gear etc and have it on a spreadsheet, organized by where I had planned to carry it all (for ease of finding it as well as keeping tabs on my payload and overall trailer weight).  

Is there a recommended tutorial on this topic? 

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Boudicca908 said:

What makes the starboard side heavy -- is it the appliances? 

Yes, if you have lithium batteries, I'd guess so. As steve/scubarx said, there's a significant weight difference.  

The new electric dc/danfoss fridge is much lighter than the threeway. 

We all have to work it out.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4