Bulb Seal (for under the awning) has been Ordered

I just ordered from Oliver, what they call the Bulb seal (18 ft ~ $66).  That large rubber-like material that goes directly under the awning mount/housing.

My bulb seal has been leaking in some areas, especially over the entry door; and since the door needs resealing to the hull it's time to replace.  However.....

I'm still not convinced I want the bulb seal there at all.  Someone on the forums mentioned they removed it due to the gathering of tree junk.  I'm considering taking my old one off and seeing what I think of it.  Yesterday I did place a small EZE Gutter Guard strip over my door frame, to divert heavy rain water from hitting the top of the door frame.  Not sure I'll get to resealing the door frame before the rally.  I'm not retired, dang it.

Old-Bulb-Seal.jpg

Door-gutter.jpg

• Like 2

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

There have been a number of owners that have taken that seal off and left it off primarily due to having difficulty in cleaning the area on the roof behind it.

Obviously, if you remove and then don't replace it, there might be a fair amount of water that will run down the side of the trailer when it rains.  This just might obviate the use of the awning during a shower.

For what its worth - I've still got the original seal up there, have not had difficulty keeping the roof behind it clean and have enjoyed a few beverages while sitting under my awning during a light rain.

Bill

• Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I took ours off 4 or 5 years ago.  I was tired of trying to keep it clean, there was always a build up of stuff behind it.  We’ve found that during normal light rain, sitting under the awning is fine without it.  I have the EZ gutters so I’m not too worried about water running down the side.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We had our bulb seal replaced by Oliver under warranty as it was not sealed to the roof properly. Oliver dropped the seal down a bit and drilled holes in the awning mounting brackets to allow water to drain quickly instead of puddle between the brackets. Now it works as it should. It does require up keep and periodic cleaning. Trade offs for sure.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Wow, I'm pooped.  Even with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (08984), a 3M Scratch Brite sponge, and flat razor, it was a "BLEEP" to get the sticky residue off the hull.  Thankfully the Bulb seal was only sticking well to half the trailer.  Still took me over an hour to scrub-down and get clean.  There's still grime to pressure wash off, but I think I will like it better than having the seal on the trailer. Time will tell.  I have the new seal on the way, if I change my mind. I have already installed a EZE Gutter Guard over the door, just to keep the door seal, what's left of it, drier. I'm not sure if I will have time to pull off the door and reseal before the rally.  Who wants to help?  LOL 😜

I'm mean, it's not like raising a barn!  🙂 

Pro tip:  Putting the Gutter guard in the dryer for 15 minutes with some rags quickly softens up the rubber to make it go around curves easier.  I had no sun that day.

removed-bulb-seal.jpg

Old-Bulb-Seal2.jpg

• Like 5

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

Pro tip:  Putting the Gutter guard in the dryer for 15 minutes with some rags quickly softens up the rubber to make it go around curves easier.  I had no sun that day.

I did mine on a hot day.  I left the EZ Gutter on my black tonneau cover for a half hour or so, very pliable after that.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 minute ago, Mike and Carol said:

I did mine on a hot day.  I left the EZ Gutter on my black tonneau cover for a half hour or so, very pliable after that.  Mike

HA, I tried the same exact thing, then the sun got blocked by clouds.  Dryer it was.  Hehe.

• Like 4

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

49 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

HA, I tried the same exact thing, then the sun got blocked by clouds.  Dryer it was.  Hehe.

What else could go wrong? 😅 Adapt and over come is the flavor of the day! Always try and have a back up plan.
One is none and two is one!

“Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong” into something that only YOU can do something about.

You did well!

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 3
  • Care 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

Received my new awning seal from Ryder at OTT Parts Team a few weeks ago, will be installing before our road trip later this month.  I like the idea that @Patriot mentioned about OTT service team dropping the seal down slightly and drilling weep holes in the FIAMMA mounts for drainage.

We will also install the EZ Gutter over the main hatch and windows...  brilliant!

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

I was even considering my left-over gutter guard in lieu of the bulb seal.  That way heavy water, and wind, could still pass thru under the awning mount, yet light to moderate rain could be channeled via the gutter guard?  I'll do some critical thinking on that one.

• Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

2 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

I was even considering my left-over gutter guard in lieu of the bulb seal. 

@Wayfinder - What do you think about the EZ Gutter above the awning mounts up top and the bulb seal below like @Patriot described earlier in the thread?  That way, the large debris would flush through under the awning in heavy wind/rain conditions, anything stuck or leftover could easily be swept away manually.  During light rain conditions - the EZ Gutter would channel water away and keep from streaking the side of the rig.

Here's what one end of my bulb seal looked like after I removed it:

image.thumb.jpeg.64f88bdc1a0c347bc09b554ce6ac3b33.jpeg

UGH!, Nasty!  You can see the oxidized rubber material powder coating my hand...

• Like 1

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

38 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

@Wayfinder - What do you think about the EZ Gutter above the awning mounts up top and the bulb seal below like @Patriot described earlier in the thread?  That way, the large debris would flush through under the awning in heavy wind/rain conditions, anything stuck or leftover could easily be swept away manually.  During light rain conditions - the EZ Gutter would channel water away and keep from streaking the side of the rig.

Here's what one end of my bulb seal looked like after I removed it:

UGH!, Nasty!  You can see the oxidized rubber material powder coating my hand...

From an observation stand point of watching how water flows when washing our Oliver, I would not recommend installing the EZ gutter above the awning seal. I honestly do not think you would be happy with this mod post install. If you install the bulb seal properly and it adheres well you should not have any side streaking. Also consider drilling your awning brackets to keep water from puddling.  This made a huge difference after Oliver drilled ours out.
My other thought on installing the gutter guard it will be a very tedious job to remove if you are not happy with it. Naturally debris falls from trees or leaves or pine needles dropping. I try to not park under pine trees or weeping trees when possible. 
We wash our Ollie regularly and as much as I don’t enjoy climbing ladders I try and keep this area clean and waxed.

Patriot🇺🇸 

• Thanks 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Patriot said:

From an observation stand point of watching how water flows when washing our Oliver, I would not recommend installing the EZ gutter above the awning seal. I honestly do not think you would be happy with this mod post install. If you install the bulb seal properly and it adheres well you should not have any side streaking. Also consider drilling your awning brackets to keep water from puddling.  This made a huge difference after Oliver drilled ours out.
My other thought on installing the gutter guard it will be a very tedious job to remove if you are not happy with it. Naturally debris falls from trees or leaves or pine needles dropping. I try to not park under pine trees or weeping trees when possible. 
We wash our Ollie regularly and as much as I don’t enjoy climbing ladders I try and keep this area clean and waxed.

Patriot🇺🇸 

Would a battery powered blower be of any use to keep this area clean before it gets matted down in that area? That was the first thing that came to my mind reading this discussion. 

• Like 1

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

@Patriot Can you tell how big those holes are in the awning mounts?  Maybe take a drill bit to them to see?!  We don't want people making to large of a hole and compromising the integrity of the mounts. 

Would a quick picture help see what it looks like?  

Do you know if Oliver has made that their new standard, or did you ask for them to drill the weep holes in the mounting brackets?

Pulling off and cleaning that Bulb seal was a PAIN.

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

8 hours ago, Ollie-Haus said:

Would a battery powered blower be of any use to keep this area clean before it gets matted down in that area? That was the first thing that came to my mind reading this discussion. 

I just tilt the Oliver nose up a little and just use a strong nozzle water hose and honestly just about everything washes out after a few rinses.
A battery blower would work as long as the leaves are dry. Most dry debris flys off the roof when under way. 

My little HF battery powered blower. A great little toy, I mean tool. The broom is retired as this travels well and is fairly quiet. Just go buy one.

IMG_8553.jpeg

• Like 4

IMG_2879.jpeg

I'm still thinking about this.  I really don't like the Bulb seal solution at all. I'm thinking tree junk and heavy winds. 

Maybe nothing will meet everyone's needs, because we're not "Borg", but I'm going to see what seems to work best for me.  Right now, I'll try without the Bulb seal or anything else.  Than see how it is to sit under the canopy in a good rain storm.  I would suspect my sitting area would get wetter faster, on the ground and under a mat, if I have one laid out.

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

38 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

@Patriot Can you tell how big those holes are in the awning mounts?  Maybe take a drill bit to them to see?!  We don't want people making to large of a hole and compromising the integrity of the mounts. 

Would a quick picture help see what it looks like?  

Do you know if Oliver has made that their new standard, or did you ask for them to drill the weep holes in the mounting brackets?

Pulling off and cleaning that Bulb seal was a PAIN.

Yes Oliver now drills awning brackets to mitigate the pooling and facilitate drainage. They drilled ours with what I measure as a 7/16 hole and here is a pic-

IMG_8552.thumb.jpeg.1dc4adb031f15d75c2a0abe67e2d3b1d.jpeg

IMG_8551.thumb.jpeg.5c28b8eb5e699793d1c11666a053d3ed.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

I would not recommend installing the EZ gutter above the awning seal.

@Patriot - All good points, brother.  It was a random thought...  It definitely wouldn't look too red hot, for sure.  Thanks for sending pix of the weep hole drill out of the awning brackets.  I'd like seeing the sizing and placement of the holes by the OTT maintenance team.  Thanks, and cheers!

• Like 2

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

Appreciate your time @Patriot

Always glad to help/trouble shoot and just passing it forward. Either way you choose on the bulb seal just as long as your happy you are winning! 👍🏻

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

If I decide not to use the new Bulb Seal, I'll just send it to whoever needs a new one.  Just pay shipping, seal will be free.  Save someone $66 bucks.

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

12 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

@Patriot - All good points, brother.  It was a random thought...  It definitely wouldn't look too red hot, for sure.  Thanks for sending pix of the weep hole drill out of the awning brackets.  I'd like seeing the sizing and placement of the holes by the OTT maintenance team.  Thanks, and cheers!

Your welcome! It’s certainly something an owner can do. We were at Oliver so they took care of us. 

IMG_2879.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

If I decide not to use the new Bulb Seal, I'll just send it to whoever needs a new one.  Just pay shipping, seal will be free.  Save someone $66 bucks.

@Wayfinder If you have it, bring it to the rally, I will take it off your hands if you decide not to install it.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Patriot said:

If you have it, bring it to the rally, I will take it off your hands if you decide not to install it.

Patriot🇺🇸

Will do.  

It will make me feel good after ordering new tires for Wayfinder.  😞 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

Second dibs if you decide to not use it.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"