Disabling the speaker on an Apple Air Tag

Patriot

Here is an interesting video which gives a pretty straight forward way to disable the speaker on an Apple Air Tag. Removal of the speaker eliminates the continuous audible chirp after 72 hrs. Removal of the speaker will not allow a bad actor to hear the chirp, then find and disable the AT by removing the battery after he/she locates it. For example an AT hidden in a car under the seat or in the trunk. Or in a piece expensive camping equipment say a portable generator or even an  Oliver TT. The bad actor will eventually figure out there is an AT on the stolen item tracking them if they have an iPhone. Without the speaker chirping it will be more just a bit a lot more difficult to find.

A common misconception - the map location is not the location of the air tag, it’s the map location for your truck or campers air tag that would have been the location of the persons phone who parked or walked or drove by close enough for their phone to hear the air tags  broadcast.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Thanks 4
  • Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Received the Air Tags and removed all four speakers. It’s not difficult to do and all four are mute now.

70482554518__1040D5AC-A828-4B2E-BDF6-0BA8E45F1410.thumb.jpeg.01ad1bc916469b4a9b0b6b460156c15b.jpeg

IMG_8563.thumb.jpeg.71b75072d64563f7814ca8320238bd62.jpegIMG_8566.thumb.jpeg.c19bfb78619219be66e6f24bd9123d2a.jpeg

• Like 5

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 7 months later...

An update- 9 months later and the Air Tags are still going strong. 

Patriot🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

I am a huge fan of AirTags and have them on many of  my high value items.   Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that they can be disabled if they follow an iPhone that they are not registered to. I’m not sure how long it takes to notify the  user of the non registered iPhone, but based on experience with AirTags registered to me, my wife’s phone notifies her within ten minutes if we take my truck with an AirTag in it and leave my phone at home.  Btw, a recent iOS update allows you to register AirTags to multiple users.

• Like 4

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

• 1 month later...

Just purchased a 4-pack, installed one hidden in the Oliver, our Dodge Ram TV, Chris' GX470 and on my keychain which I misplace on average every other week! Used 3M VHB to mount them in secure hidden locations. Not sure if I need the speaker removal (but will consider it) since if somebody steels my stuff, I'll know it in a heartbeat and would be in pursuit while dialing 911... Thanks for the info! 🙂  

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

On 1/1/2024 at 1:45 PM, Patriot said:

An update- 9 months later and the Air Tags are still going strong. 

UPDATE:  We got our's on Amazon about 9 months ago - used them on several overseas trip, currently using them on our Dive Trip in St. Maarten, French West Indies/Lesser Antilles - working great!  We did, however, replace the batteries in each of the A-Tags before this trip just to play it safe.  Easy to do.  When we're not traveling - one lives on Magnus' collar and Oscar gets the other, FYI.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

So I recently played around some with AirTags that were registered to me and had them “follow” my wife’s phone without my phone present. Her phone pretty quickly got a notification that she was being followed. Her iPhone gave her the option of playing a sound on the AirTag so it could be located, but no other option that I could see to disable the. AirTag. I subsequently removed the speakers from my hidden AirTags. If they can’t find them they can’t remove them.

• Like 4

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

2 hours ago, Rolind said:

So I recently played around some with AirTags that were registered to me and had them “follow” my wife’s phone without my phone present. Her phone pretty quickly got a notification that she was being followed. Her iPhone gave her the option of playing a sound on the AirTag so it could be located, but no other option that I could see to disable the. AirTag. I subsequently removed the speakers from my hidden AirTags. If they can’t find them they can’t remove them.

Yes, gotta remove those speakers. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

Yes, gotta remove those speakers. 👍🏻

Yeah, wished I read this before taping them into place! I will remove the speakers on the ones installed in vehicles but will need the speaker on my key chain tag.

• Like 2

OK, so I removed the speakers today in 3 Air Tags, the Oliver, my Ram TV and our precious GX470. The first two, I preserved 2 of 3 tabs, the third broke and stayed in place. I placed a small drop of Super Glue on those spots upon assembly. The third was the charm, all 3 tabs intact. I Sharpie'd the spots where the tabs are located, just in case, but hope not to ever have to open these again (battery change is simple twist of top metallic cover plate).

So, my iPhone Find My app sees all 4 tags, you can click Play Sound the app thinking it's playing... but no sound. I can also track the tag. It shows me distance often and direction when possible.

My question is what does the thief see? Given he has an iPhone and receives notice from the tag, a tag they do not own? Hopefully, they cannot track a tag they have not registered, now that we have the sound off.

• Like 2

Check out this link. Basically, you need to find the AirTag and then remove the battery. I don’t think it can be disabled unless you find the AirTag  

• Thanks 1

These Air Tags are really cool, though I hope to never have to track down stolen property! I drove yesterday to fill the Oliver LP tanks plus two tanks we have on our deck for the grill and fire ring.

So, I was at the Ford dealer on Sandretto Drive, waiting on the tanks being filled (see pic). Two tags for my keys and truck were at this address. The Oliver is shown parked at home and our GX was at an address on Lee Blvd. When I got home, Chris was already home and I mentioned, "So, you went to Trader Joe's?" She asked, "How did you know?" I replied, I tracked you!" Chris has a Samsung phone, so she did not get a tracking notification.

Find My Screen.jpg

• Like 1