Inverter Generator Trivia - Warning - Nerdy Engineering Post

Frank C

Just some trivia for a discussion topic.  I’ve been looking to purchase a small inverter generator to carry on long extended camping road trips, and in comparing specs and reviews, the Honda series consistently comes out as a top choice (but pricey!).  One interesting detail is the engine displacement comparison.  The Honda has a significantly larger engine for the given wattage compared to the lower cost competitors.   Probably explains a lot about the reliability and noise advantages of the Honda.  The larger gas engine just doesn’t have to work as hard.   Couldn’t find any any info on the engine horsepower ratings of each brand though.  Maybe it’s on the data plate on the unit itself (there’s a direct relationship between engine horsepower and potential maximum wattage of the generator).   Larger engine displacement typically means more torque, and more torque means lower RPM needed to achieve a particular horsepower.

HP= torque in lb-ft x RPM/5252

1 HP=33,000 lb-ft/min=746 watts 

Comparison:

Home Depot Ryobi 2300 watt - 79cc.

———

Harbor Freight Predator 2000 watt - 79cc.

———

Honda EU2200i 2200 watt - 121cc.

———

Champion 2500 watt - 79cc. 

———

WEN 2500 watt - 80cc.

———

Craftsman 2500 watt - 98cc.

———

• Like 4

I suppose any of the above will make do. Oliver Service  highly recommends a minimum of a 3000 watt inverter gen. And now with those that choose the optional quieter new Truma Aventa a 3000 watt generator is required if you want to run the AC. I am partial to Honda gens as they have always served me very well. 
My 02 cents worth. 😊

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• The title was changed to Inverter Generator Trivia - Warning - Nerdy Engineering Post
9 minutes ago, Patriot said:

I suppose any of the above will make do. Oliver Service  highly recommends a minimum of a 3000 watt inverter gen. And now with those that choose the optional quieter new Truma Aventa a 3000 watt generator is required if you want to run the AC. I am partial to Honda gens as they have always served me very well. 
My 02 cents worth. 😊

Patriot🇺🇸

I’m not looking to run the air conditioner or microwave. Just looking for battery charging for running the DC accessories like the water pump, lights, fans, jacks. And thanks for the Honda recommendation! 👍🏻

• Like 3

Honda is expensive.  I have owned a lot of Honda products.  All were best in class.

I just want a small generator to top off the batteries as needed, like @Frank C

Two things come into play for me.

1.  Weight

2. Dual Fuel

This is my #1 contender @ $700

image.thumb.png.db7296e01429485b0a760a4acfaec984.png

• Like 4

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

@HDRider:  Impressive, its 10lbs lighter than my (rather) old EUi2000 Honda and only $629.10 on Amazon.  57db - quiet, too.  Hmmm, may need to add this unit to the stable...

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Seems like we've had our Honda EU2000i forever. Can't even tell you how many years, but a lot. I change the oil and service the air filter and it just goes and goes. Fine for occasional battery charging or even running the microwave. BTW, all the fire departments around here carry Honda portable generators.

• Like 7

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

@HDRider  Correct Honda gens are spendy, but then again so are Olivers. One needs to roll with what suits their budget and puts a smile on their face. 😊

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 3

IMG_2879.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Patriot said:

@HDRider  Correct Honda gens are spendy, but then again so are Olivers. One needs to roll with what suits their budget and puts a smile on their face. 😊

Patriot🇺🇸

I would most likely go with Honda if it was dual fuel. 

• Like 4

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

1 hour ago, HDRider said:

I would most likely go with Honda if it was dual fuel. 

My 3200i will be hopefully soon, I am on the www.hutchmountain.com LP conversion kit waiting list for the EU3200i. I will post up after I receive the kit and run the gen with the conversion kit. I really like the EU3000is LP conversion kit which was a fairly simple install. This gen weighs in at 130# dry and it’s a now tri fuel conversion. LP, LNG, and gasoline. 

Patriot🇺🇸

IMG_7607.thumb.jpeg.a8f9c91d53fe24f69c39f30d611f4021.jpeg

• Like 3

IMG_2879.jpeg

I don’t think there is an industry standard for rating generators. If there is I’m sure most companies are failing to follow it.  2500 watts from a 79cc engine?  Not clean power with any amount of extra capacity.  My guess is if a 1k watt load was hooked up to to a 2200 watt honda it would increase the RPM’s a little bit (half way?) and still be relatively quiet. The 2500 units listed above would probably jump to full power/rpm to achieve the same 1k output, I know mine does. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Frank C said:

I’m not looking to run the air conditioner or microwave. Just looking for battery charging for running the DC accessories like the water pump, lights, fans, jacks.

I see you have a 2019 LE II.  Oliver only offered flooded/AGM batteries and the 45 amp converter/charger in 2019.  Do you still have the flooded batteries with the 45 amp converter charger?  If so, then anything larger than the little Honda EU1000i would be overkill for battery charging.  A 45 amp converter charger will only be able to charge your batteries at a maximum rate of about 650 watts (45 amps charging current * 14.5 volt maximum charging voltage) regardless of how large your generator is.  Assuming 10 percent losses in the conversion from 120 volts from the generator to the 14.5 volt charge current, the maximum generator size needed to charge your batteries is about 725 watts (650 watts / 0.9).  If you have only two flooded batteries, then they won't even be able to accept a full 45 amp charging current.

Even after adding the tri-fuel conversion kit to the EU1000i, it should still put out a continuous 800 watts when running on propane.  More than enough to charge your batteries at the fastest rate possible while simultaneously running the furnace and a few lights.  Any larger generator will not charge your batteries any faster (unless you convert to Lithium batteries and an inverter/charger with a higher charging current capability).

If the above accurately describes the configuration of your Ollie with the original 45 watt converter/charger and flooded/AGM batteries, you may want to consider the little Honda EU1000i with the conversion kit.  It is significantly lighter and much quieter than even the Honda EU 2200i.  (I know because I own both).  It is expensive though.

• Like 6

Steve and Lornie

LE II Standard  Hull #657  2004 4Runner 4.7 L V8

Oregon

COIDKSMOORTNUTWYmed.jpg

1 hour ago, Chukarhunter said:

I see you have a 2019 LE II.  Oliver only offered flooded/AGM batteries and the 45 amp converter/charger in 2019.  Do you still have the flooded batteries with the 45 amp converter charger?  If so, then anything larger than the little Honda EU1000i would be overkill for battery charging.  A 45 amp converter charger will only be able to charge your batteries at a maximum rate of about 650 watts (45 amps charging current * 14.5 volt maximum charging voltage) regardless of how large your generator is.  Assuming 10 percent losses in the conversion from 120 volts from the generator to the 14.5 volt charge current, the maximum generator size needed to charge your batteries is about 725 watts (650 watts / 0.9).  If you have only two flooded batteries, then they won't even be able to accept a full 45 amp charging current.

Even after adding the tri-fuel conversion kit to the EU1000i, it should still put out a continuous 800 watts when running on propane.  More than enough to charge your batteries at the fastest rate possible while simultaneously running the furnace and a few lights.  Any larger generator will not charge your batteries any faster (unless you convert to Lithium batteries and an inverter/charger with a higher charging current capability).

If the above accurately describes the configuration of your Ollie with the original 45 watt converter/charger and flooded/AGM batteries, you may want to consider the little Honda EU1000i with the conversion kit.  It is significantly lighter and much quieter than even the Honda EU 2200i.  (I know because I own both).  It is expensive though.

I have the flooded lead acid battery setup  (4 of the 12volt FLAs in parallel).  I considered the Honda EU1000i (MSRP $1099) but it’s still very expensive, almost the same price as the EU2200i (MSRP $1399).   I’d rather have the overkill 🙂, so it can be used for additional generator needs around the house, etc. 

• Like 5

• Moderator+

What’s “overkill”?

• Haha 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

14 hours ago, Patriot said:

My 3200i will be hopefully soon, I am on the www.hutchmountain.com LP conversion kit waiting list for the EU3200i. I will post up after I receive the kit and run the gen with the conversion kit. I really like the EU3000is LP conversion kit which was a fairly simple install. This gen weighs in at 130# dry and it’s a now tri fuel conversion. LP, LNG, and gasoline. 

Patriot🇺🇸

IMG_7607.thumb.jpeg.a8f9c91d53fe24f69c39f30d611f4021.jpeg

Must be nice/convenient having the forward doghouse mounted 30A shore outlet!  Has anyone researched if this can be retrofitted by an owner - or does it go to the mobile RV tech for installation?  Just curious!

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

4 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Must be nice/convenient having the forward doghouse mounted 30A shore outlet!  Has anyone researched if this can be retrofitted by an owner - or does it go to the mobile RV tech for installation?  Just curious!

I'm sure it could be. It's a standard outlet you can buy and wire it in like the street side receptacle. 

Receptacle

41rTCycsBQL._AC_.jpg

Wire - 10/3 30 amp wire

81JMMVMl+-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Thanks 1

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

4 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

This is an option which we added to our Oliver build sheet. Yes, it’s totally convenient. I have not seen a post where someone has added this mod. 

Patriot🇺🇸

• Thanks 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

I'm thinking there must be either an automatic or manual transfer switch that allows 30A power from only a single socket at a time.  Is this correct?

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

I'm thinking there must be either an automatic or manual transfer switch that allows 30A power from only a single socket at a time.  Is this correct?

Correct.  Oliver installs an automatic transfer switch when the extra 30 amp port is ordered as an option.  For any DIYers thinking of adding the extra 30 amp inlet port themselves, there absolutely must be a transfer switch installed to prevent multiple simultaneous external AC power connections.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

@Frank C:  Yeah, thought there had to be a transfer switch between the two outlets.  Anyone know the type/manufacturer of the OTT ATS?

spacer.png

• Moderator+
On 5/4/2023 at 8:28 AM, MAX Burner said:

@Frank C:  Yeah, thought there had to be a transfer switch between the two outlets.  Anyone know the type/manufacturer of the OTT ATS?

Progressive Dynamics PD5110010V Automatic Transfer Switch With Pig Tail AC Wire Connections

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Got a line on it from Amazon - not too bad of a price point for the unit, thanks @ScubaRx

image.thumb.png.a4354218fe02d497c3e5b329472d9f84.png

spacer.png