Tap Lights Randomly Coming On

BBL

If this has been discussed, I apologize in advance.  We have not had our trailer very long but recently, when we open it up, one or more of the tap lights is on. Only two so far, same side of the trailer, have had this happen. The one over the sink and the one just aft of that over the bed.

I wasn't thrilled with the idea of tap lights that one day might be unavailable and we can't source new ones and for the fact that this can happen.

Anyone have any background on this?  We are going to stop by Hohenwald on the way to the rally for another issue but we can address this while we are there if needed.

Thanks all!

Brian

Sounds like the dreaded Poltergeist phenomenon.... HA!

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

One of ours was on once last week. Over the stove, if I recall. That’s the only time in a month of ownership. I wondered if maybe static caused it. 

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

Do you turn off the Master Light switch when you leave the trailer?  When that switch is off, our touch lights all go off too.

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

We usually turn the Master switch off when we leave the camper. Over the past 2 years I have had around 5 times that when I turned the master switch on, one or two of the tap lights would come on.

The only other gremlin has been that the Stereo had turned on by it self twice.

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

I think that when you turn the master switch off... all power is turned off to the cabin lights (inside cabinets, ceiling and touch lights)... so they shouldn't be able to come on.   When you turn on the master switch... all the touch lights come on also no matter how they were before... and it's up to you then, to go around and turn off any touch lights that you don't want on.

With that master switch left on... the very sensitive touch lights can make a contact and come on "by themselves".   I imagine any vibration, wind, slamming the door, etc. can make the little springs can make contact, thus turning on the touch light. 

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

3 hours ago, Dave and Kimberly said:

When you turn on the master switch... all the touch lights come on also no matter how they were before.

OTT must have changed something as our touch lights don't act that way.  They must be pushed on/off manually. 

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

They must be pushed on/off manually. 

Concur, GJ...  Our's must be tapped to energize them - independent from the master light switch by the main hatch.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Brian,

I just replaced two touch lights - the one over the cooktop and the one over the street side bed.  They would only come on partially (not very bright at all) and weren't helpful.  I ordered enough replacements for all of the touch lights.  When I placed this order with Oliver, Jason did tell me that whenever I turn the master switch on, any lights that have been replaced will come on automatically which they now do.  The others do not come on automatically.  This new behavior is not a big deal to me. 

Just as a heads up, I think tapping the light "hard" causes them to fail quicker.  A very very light touch is the better way to turn these on.  As Dave mentions above, there is a small, sensitive spring that activates the light and it doesn't like to be touched too hard. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

3 hours ago, connor77 said:

Brian,

I just replaced two touch lights - the one over the cooktop and the one over the street side bed.  They would only come on partially (not very bright at all) and weren't helpful.  I ordered enough replacements for all of the touch lights.  When I placed this order with Oliver, Jason did tell me that whenever I turn the master switch on, any lights that have been replaced will come on automatically which they now do.  The others do not come on automatically.  This new behavior is not a big deal to me. 

Just as a heads up, I think tapping the light "hard" causes them to fail quicker.  A very very light touch is the better way to turn these on.  As Dave mentions above, there is a small, sensitive spring that activates the light and it doesn't like to be touched too hard. 

connor77,

I have replaced (2) one over the sink and one over the stove top. My master switch in my Oliver does not turn on the replacement touch lights after this repair. We still have to gently touch them and voil’a let there be light.

Patriot🇺🇸
IMG_2358.jpeg.1b8c809a9c8d14ddd230f012cd740e58.jpeg

😄

• Haha 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Picked up my trailer in July 2020. The tap lights were all good. They only came on when I tapped them, whether or not I had flipped the master switch. Then, one day about a year later, they all mysteriously went dim and stayed on. I opened a ticket and service sent me new ones, including a little rivet gun. I removed the old ones and replaced with the new ones. I discovered the new ones always came on whenever I flipped the master switch. Service told me that they'd changed vendors or something and the lights they sent me were different than the ones installed. They also said that they will go on whenever the master switch is flipped, whether or not I've tapped each individual light. That's just the way the new product works. Hope this helps.

• Like 5

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

32 minutes ago, Cameron said:

Picked up my trailer in July 2020. The tap lights were all good. They only came on when I tapped them, whether or not I had flipped the master switch. Then, one day about a year later, they all mysteriously went dim and stayed on. I opened a ticket and service sent me new ones, including a little rivet gun. I removed the old ones and replaced with the new ones. I discovered the new ones always came on whenever I flipped the master switch. Service told me that they'd changed vendors or something and the lights they sent me were different than the ones installed. They also said that they will go on whenever the master switch is flipped, whether or not I've tapped each individual light. That's just the way the new product works. Hope this helps.

This is consistent behavior with my trailer and also what I was told by Service.  I did not, however, have all of my lights go dim - just two of them.  I actually sort of like that one light on each side of the trailer comes on when I turn the master switch on. 

I am keeping my eye out for a better quality light just in case these don't last long. 

• Like 2

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

• Moderators

I'm kind of loving my 2008 puck switched lights, not "touch lights."

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

11 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I'm kind of loving my 2008 puck switched lights, not "touch lights."

Same here. Only issue I have is the chrome plating is failing on the bathroom light. I assume replacements for these aren't available anymore?

• Like 2

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

16 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

I was under the impression that the new version of the tap lights use a capacitive sensor instead of a mechanical switch...?

True, ours appear to be this way. 

Tom & Doreen • 2023 Elite ll • Hull #1321 • 2023 Tundra Platinum Crew Max • Cheshire CT 

States1.jpg

• Moderators
7 hours ago, CRM said:

Same here. Only issue I have is the chrome plating is failing on the bathroom light. I assume replacements for these aren't available anymore?

I bought similar from a marine store site. I'll see if I can find it, but I did replace one a few years ago. In the bathroom, it really wouldn't be a big deal if it were a  slightly different  look.

I bought a multi-pack. Used some on the sailboat, a few in the trailer (one replacement,  one in the new microwave cavity cabinet.)

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.