Extending the Cell Booster Interior Antenna

Wayfinder

One of the first things I had to replace when getting Hull 110 was the cell booster.  I picked up a WeeBoost and left the interior antenna cable extended over the dinette table.  I've not yet made it super "pretty", but the long cable allows me to sit outside with my phone right next to the antenna.  Basically, if you've used a booster before, the phone pretty much needs to literally be on top of the antenna to get any significant boost.  At least with this POS WeeBoost.

I want to shop for another extended cable to make it even longer.  As it is now I can barely get then antenna outside the door.  It's a stretch.

Phone-N-booster-Setup-Oliver.jpg

• Like 3

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

We have a cell booster on our camper but when I turn it on I have no idea what it’s boosting, it’s definitely not my cell service! I have a Verizon hot spot that works great when I have cell service but there are times I get nothing but dead zone at certain places we camp. 
I’ve been contemplating getting a WeeBoost but have no idea how to set one up or how well it works.
Star Link seems to be a good choice but I can’t justify the cost since we aren’t full time.  
How is the WeeBoost working for you? How did you hook it up? 

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

6 hours ago, Katjo said:

We have a cell booster on our camper but when I turn it on I have no idea what it’s boosting, it’s definitely not my cell service! I have a Verizon hot spot that works great when I have cell service but there are times I get nothing but dead zone at certain places we camp. 
I’ve been contemplating getting a WeeBoost but have no idea how to set one up or how well it works.
Star Link seems to be a good choice but I can’t justify the cost since we aren’t full time.  
How is the WeeBoost working for you? How did you hook it up? 

@Katjo: We've got the cell booster in Casablanca, too.  We see no signal difference sitting at the dinette with the boost on either!  We've tried and like the Star Link system (loaned to us from RV friends) and it's great in providing internet access.  The RV-subscription of Star Link allows you to pay by the drink - on a monthly basis.  Not a bad deal, we're getting one before our next trip, FYI.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Our factory-installed cell booster provides a moderate signal gain - 1 or 2 bars - in marginal coverage areas. Sometimes enough to eliminate buffering when streaming.

• Like 4

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

3 hours ago, Katjo said:

@MAX Burner Was it difficult to set up? 

Not difficult to set up at all.  The receiver sits on a ground mount positioned with a clear view of the sky.  There's a mobile app that's used once you select where you wish to position the receiver (which is a rather odd looking white rectangular planar array about 10" x 15").  When the antenna is selected to come out of the "stow" position it takes maybe 10 - 12 minutes to do its scan and lock on to its correct signal.  We used it while boondocking in a FS campground near Hopewell Lake (9,500+ feet MSL) in NM last October - way out of range for any mobile signal and we had great internet access with SL.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

2 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Our factory-installed cell booster provides a moderate signal gain - 1 or 2 bars - in marginal coverage areas. Sometimes enough to eliminate buffering when streaming.

I get about the same gain while sitting at the dinette. Sometimes an additional bar if I hold it close to the booster antenna.

• Like 3

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

Yeah, from my experience, I get one, maybe two bars of improvement, BUT, ONLY if there is a decent enough signal to start with, say a half to one bar.  Can't boost zero signal.  Zero * anything is still zero.  LOL

I pretty much have to put the phone on top of touch the internal antenna.  

I like the idea of Star Link, but I don't camp enough for that yet.

• Like 4

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

6 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

Yeah, from my experience, I get one, maybe two bars of improvement, BUT, ONLY if there is a decent enough signal to start with, say a half to one bar.  Can't boost zero signal.  Zero * anything is still zero.  LOL

I like the idea of Star Link, but I don't camp enough for that yet.

That’s exactly what we get, zero! You’re right, can’t boost zero signal..lol! 
We are really swaying towards getting Star Link. 

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

6 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

@Wayfinder:  Does your mobile's hot spot work effectively when in close proximity of the antenna for a good internet connection?  Just curious...

spacer.png

4 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

@Wayfinder:  Does your mobile's hot spot work effectively when in close proximity of the antenna for a good internet connection?  Just curious...

If I understand you correctly, yes.  Both my cell phone AND a dedicated cellular hot spot, both from Verizon, see improvements, albeit not drastic or magically drastic.  Again, if there's already a signal worth boosting.  Now I cannot speak for the improvement for all carriers, mileage may vary.  My WeBoost might only help LTE & 3G.  Newer WeBoost models, like the Drive+X "says" that all WeBoost products support 5G, but I'm not sure.  5G technology has a relatively short distance and is only line-of-site as I understand it.  Also, 5G, if very close to a large antenna is quite dangerous.  That's why it's so important for these companies to position the transmitters correctly, where humans are in the way of the signals.  So not sure if we'll see an internal antenna boost a 5G signal.  🤷‍♂️

This weekend, here at Petersburg Campground in Appling, Georgia, I would have nearly zero Internet activity if not for the WeBoost.  I would have had to read a real book or something.  "I shutter the thought". The only book I have with me is my Security+ certification book, which I need to study for once again.  I swear I retire before I another Security+ certification... after this one.  LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

9 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

So not sure if we'll see an internal antenna boost a 5G signal.  🤷‍♂️

@Wayfinder: Hey, brother - 100% answers my question.  Thanks for the 5G information, I wasn't aware of those points.  Great reply, thanks!

Stay safe...

• Like 1

spacer.png