Another Truma retrofit

johnwen

We had the Truma retrofit done this January.  Of course it was too cold to properly test it out.  We tested long enough to make sure the unit went through all its cycles.  All looked ok but I had a leak around the curbside bed coming through around a screw holding the window interior trim.  Service said it was probably from condensation between the hulls and finding its way around the screw.  They removed the screw, put some sealant around it, and reinstalled it.  All was ok.  The weather was cold and low humidity so I don't think much condensation was generated around the A/C coils.

High humidity and a warm night had us using the Truma for the first time last night.  The A/C worked fine but no condensation came from the drain tubes and water was dripping from around the foam on the bottom of the Truma.  No leaking around the windows inside, no water coming from the numerous weep holes on the bottom of the trailer.  The basement was moisture-free as far as I could tell.  The trailer is level.  I ran some wire up the drain tubes to rule out critter nests.  I could only get 2 feet up the street side tube...no foreign objects.  The curb side was a little different, the wire stopped after about 5 inches.  So I pulled back the fiberglass sheet from the exterior basement access and found the train tube makes a sharp turn before going up to the A/C so I could not pass the wire past that point.  The hose was pretty kinked at the bend and I straightened it out as best I could...condensation would have passed through anyway, I just improved the pathway.  Since the tubes are clear I saw there was nothing in the tubes except for this little piece of wire insulation trapped inside the bend on the curb side.  Since there is no evidence of any moisture in both tubes, I figure that both cups that collect the runoff underneath the A/C pan could be full of something (wire insulation?) or the tubes are not connected to the cups or maybe the tubes vibrated off their fitting.

After this lengthy prelude my question is this... is there a way to inspect the moisture collection cups and the associated plumbing going to the drain tubes?  Everything is pretty well covered up top of the unit and all screw holes are well sealed.

John

20230507_130548.jpg

20230507_130532.jpg

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderator+

U

7 minutes ago, johnwen said:

After this lengthy prelude my question is this... is there a way to inspect the moisture collection cups and the associated plumbing going to the drain tubes?  Everything is pretty well covered up top of the unit and all screw holes are well sealed.

John

Unfortunately, to get to the cups on the Dometic unit required the removal of the AC. I suspect it's the same with the Truma. Others with the Truma units may know differently.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

2021 LE2

You can remove the outer top plastic cover...about eight screws. Then remove two screws that hold down the top molded foam. Once that is removed (real tight fit) you can see the condensation drain tubes at the front of the unit. I could see condensation inside the tubes. There is a tube joint connection there also.

I don't know if you can reach back into the unit to feel for the condensation collection cups. You might also take off the inside air distribution cover. From up roof top I can see the backside of that cover.

When reattaching the covers the screw torque is 14in lbs. Truma tech cautioned me not to exceed and strip out the holes.

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, SteveCr said:

2021 LE2

You can remove the outer top plastic cover...about eight screws. Then remove two screws that hold down the top molded foam. Once that is removed (real tight fit) you can see the condensation drain tubes at the front of the unit. I could see condensation inside the tubes. There is a tube joint connection there also.

I don't know if you can reach back into the unit to feel for the condensation collection cups. You might also take off the inside air distribution cover. From up roof top I can see the backside of that cover.

When reattaching the covers the screw torque is 14in lbs. Truma tech cautioned me not to exceed and strip out the holes.

Steve

Thanks, Steve.  Sounds pretty involved.  I think maybe I need to schedule a visit to OTT before or after the Rally.  We'll be at Lake Guntersville  for 10 days or so.  Did you install yours?  I'm somewhat handy but am in need of supervision on occasion :)

John

18 minutes ago, johnwen said:

Thanks, Steve.  Sounds pretty involved.  I think maybe I need to schedule a visit to OTT before or after the Rally.  We'll be at Lake Guntersville  for 10 days or so.  Did you install yours?  I'm somewhat handy but am in need of supervision on occasion 🙂

John

Yeah if it is under warranty Oliver should resolve it.

They are easy to work with whether you can take it to them or have them approve a mobile tech.

Steve

• Like 2

Thanks, Steve,

Indeed they are top notch.  I do not suspect any short cuts.  I know all will work out :classic_smile:.  OTT service is one of the determining factors in our purchase!  Thank you very much for the time you took to provide me with all that reference material!!

John

• Like 3

@johnwen

Thank you for posting up your issue with the condensate tubes. We just arrived at Camp Oliver for the Truma retrofit tomorrow, Tues and Wed. I will hopefully get a little time to talk with Jason in the morning making sure to preempt this issue from occurring.
We plan on giving the new Truma a really good shakedown next Wednesday afternoon and evening before leaving Camp Oliver Thursday morning. We’ll also be at the Rally for 8 days and if we have any issues we’ll just return to Oliver and get it addressed. Look forward to meeting you John. Go Air Force!

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg