Friction Hinges - Lippert - Another quick mod.

Ty J

Added friction hinges on doors added over the weekend. Predrilled holes and simply added 2nd hinge set - along with Handle.

Yes there is a door holder on back side but have had kids around yank them off in past. (Little weary of someone not being careful)

PXL_20230501_222919839.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

• Moderators

Nice. Did you order those from Lippert? Or Amazon?

Thanks.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Excellent mod!  Could you send hinge serial number info to order from either Lippert or Amazon, please?  Thanks in advance, brother.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 7:47 PM, Ty J said:

I purchased on sale free shipping 32.95

Same here...  Just ordered, free shipping - same price point.  Thanks for the vector, @Ty J

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2023 at 12:17 AM, Ty J said:

Mark, predrill then screw in sheet metal screws.

The screws that come with the Lippert hinges are loooong, did you drill through both “layers” in the outer frame to accommodate the long screws? In my picture you can see the hole through the outside layer of the outer frame, but if you look closely there’s an inner layer (I think fibreglass) that I have to drill through to get those screws in. Thanks!IMG_1237.thumb.jpeg.b249d3ec2dad0541b3d333c6d49625e4.jpeg

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

@rich.dev @Ty J:  

FYI:  The 2 Lippert friction hinges we got from Amazon last month came with 1/2" white-painted sheetmetal screws.  We pre-drilled into the doorjamb and into the door - no issues...

We really like the "feel" of the main door and screen door when opening and closing.  The Lipperts will definitely reduce door damage in heavy wind conditions.

Thanks for sharing the information about this mod - we're very happy with it.

Cheers!

IMG_7687.thumb.jpeg.a4e72bee30c33d79d9b01d6d5045b2f9.jpeg

• Like 1

spacer.png

I have 2021 Elite II, Did not have any issues when predrilling? I believe there was a inner layer that I drilled through. Did not notice that it was fiberglass, That is a little concerning. I want to check the screws now. Which screws did you notice it on?

3 hours ago, Ty J said:

Did not notice that it was fiberglass, That is a little concerning. I want to check the screws now. Which screws did you notice it on?

Done, I drilled through both layers in the door jam/outer frame. I’m not sure it’s fibreglass, but when I drilled through the 2nd layer and removed the drill bit there were what looked like white pieces stuck in the drill bit grooves. 

3 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

The 2 Lippert friction hinges we got from Amazon last month came with 1/2" white-painted sheetmetal screws.

Weird, I also got mine from Amazon and the screws were 1 3/4” long.

I drilled the additional fastener holes in the door outer frame side hinge.

image.jpg

• Like 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

How do you guys like the "feel" of the door after installing the Lipperts?

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

How do you guys like the "feel" of the door after installing the Lipperts?

I like it a lot, works wonderfully, I don’t have to use the latch, I can leave the door open when there is a breeze and the door stays where I put it….and no more fly away door!😊 

• Like 1

Truma water heater & AC

23 minutes ago, rich.dev said:

….and no more fly away door!😊 

Bingo!

spacer.png

• Moderators

Don't know if I'd trust the friction binges in high winds, but a great improvement to flying doors in milder winds.

What wind speeds have you used them in?

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

@SeaDawg:  We've only had them installed for about a month or so.  They have yet to be tested in windy conditions, but the effort it takes to open and close the main hatch is equal to a few pounds of force.  The door just stays wherever you place it - we're thinking its going to be a nice upgrade in those cases when you're exiting the Ollie and not realizing the wind has kick-in and now being able to control the door.

Cheers to all!

• Like 2

spacer.png

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the tips.

Did the mod today in < 30 minutes.

I used a 5/32" bit instead of the 11/64" the instructions suggested as having a bit more metal for the self tappers to bite into was needed.

Here's my blog post including details.

https://4-ever-hitched.com/ggs-blog/f/adding-friction-door-hinges-for-wind-protection

Craig

• Like 3

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

Thanks for showing this mod and recently bringing up this old post. Just got a Amazon used "Like New" set for under $15 with tax! Awesome and thanks again.

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

UPDATE:  Well, after about 8 months and 5,800+ miles of testing the Lippert hinges in various windy conditions - they all but make the outside "door hook/latch" obsolete.  We no longer use it to prop the door open anymore, FYI.  

As @Patriot might opine...  a "sano mod"!  HA!

Cheers, All!

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

spacer.png

On 2/15/2024 at 6:21 AM, MAX Burner said:

...they all but make the outside "door hook/latch" obsolete.  We no longer use it to prop the door open anymore...

Installed our like-new Amazon set today. Amazon "like new" means somebody opened the box, retaped and returned it. Don't need to drill holes in the door or door jamb. The supplied 1 3/4" white-headed self-taping screws with square-bit drive were awesome. I have often pre-drilled for "self-taping screws", but these were sharp and strong of high quality, good hardware. You need a good 1/4" impact driver, no template, just center and get the first hole right.

But WTF with this manufacturer drilling most, but not all the holes required for the install? Rarely or never have I run into this kind of BS. They put 3 pre-drilled holes in the two leaves mounting to the door, but only one pre-drilled hole on each of the three leaves mounting to the door jamb. Also, there was not enough screws supplied for all the screw holes suggested. I drilled one extra hole in each door jamb leaf (2 total vs. 3 per the instructions). This way there are 6 screws in the door and 6 in the door jamb to hold each hinge. I had just enough screws, with one left over! Nothing like a door with 5 hinges! It does hold steady wherever you put it.

Can't stand the hold-open door latches on RVs and trailers. I always forget they're latched and then I shut the door, over and over again! Did somebody break the stock one on our hull, or did these come with only a very thin wire hook? Somebody must have broken ours before I got a chance to do so! I will be removing ours next. This way I'm certain it's not latched. Thanks again, what a nice mod! Heard about the friction hinge mod just 2 days ago and it's already installed for pennies.

• Like 3

• Moderator+

@MAX Burner After seeing and operating your door at Q a few weeks ago, I’m convinced it would take a 40 mph wind to move the door and equally convinced it would never be slammed or jerked out of your hand by less than hurricane force winds. 

Another owner showed up the day after you left with an uninstalled set of these hinges. They were so tight I could not open them with my hands. @jd1923 I agree with your assessment about the lack of holes in one half of the hinge. 

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

12 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

... Another owner showed up the day after you left with an uninstalled set of these hinges. They were so tight I could not open them with my hands...

Uninstalled, it does take a bit of a push to move one leaf 90 to the other on the hinge by hand. When mounted the door moves firmly and nicely. Can't imagine taking it off for not liking it. That guy now has 30 holes in his door and jamb!

• Like 1