Considering the Oliver

routlaw

Howdy

Jus checking in with my first post and intro. Currently own a T@b but have been looking for the last 2-3 years at all of the FG for a slightly larger and more accommodating camper. The Oliver and Escapes are at the top of the list, but its the floor plan on the Oliver among other things that just about seal it. Anyway trying to learn as much as i can in the meantime.

routlaw

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators

Hi routlaw, good luck on your search for your next trailer, you seemed to have gotten it narrowed down to some well built, highly praised units. Both Oliver and Escape listen to and customize trailers for the customers, to some extent. One of my favorite things about my Ollie Legacy Elite is its narrow footprint on the road. No need for extended mirrors to see down alongside the trailer while driving and the ability to maneuver into that small, special, magical camping spot where you melt right into the landscape. But, coming from the T@b world, you know what that's all about! Happy hunting . . .

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Thanks Pete

Took a look at your blog, enjoyed your trip to Big Bend, truly a special place. Been there only once myself with a buddy who lives down the DFW area. Terlingua is quite the trip of a little town indeed. Just curious did you ever try to get your rig into the Chisos Basin campground up by the lodge? I here its a tight fit around the curves on the decent but certainly nothing we aren't used to in my neck of the woods.

I'm am encouraged you're able to get into tight spots with your Oliver which appears to be the 17footer from the previous run of campers. I wonder how well the new Elite II's do in this regard? This part has me somewhat concerned @ 23.5 feet.

routlaw

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderator+

Hello Rob, glad you found your way onto the Oliver forums. I saw your post on FGRV last night and had a nice long reply written and was going to add some pics to it and ended up losing the whole thing. It was late and I just said pfooey on it and went to bed. I'll re-create that post here a little later and maybe cross post there too.

Steve

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Rob,

We are in the same situation as you, looking. We were pretty much set on finding a used Airstream, but happened across the Oliver web site and may go in that direction. Actually we have an appointment for a factory tour on Aug 1st.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Stan

You know for years I had the worst jones for an Airstream too, but glad I waited it out. The more I learned about them the less I appreciated. The following are a few details: they are hot in the summer and cold in the winter due to very little insulation, they sweat profusely under the right conditions, they pop rivets on a regular basis, obviously they are very expensive at least 2-3 times more than the Oliver or Escape for that matter. Aluminum panels are easily subject to dents that are very expensive to repair. Have you ever seen one without dents? Its rare unless they are new. They are very heavy, foot for foot.

On the more positive side, they look really cool especially the inside. This doesn't appeal to everyone though. And I hear their chassis/frame is second to none. Thats about it IMHO.

IOW's if you have the budget I think you are currently looking in the right place. Just my unsolicited two cents worth but hope it helps.

rob

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators

Here's an example of a tight fit I snuggled the Wonder Egg into. I slipped between the grill and the bent palm tree with about 6" clearance on each side and then made a slight turn to nestle into a tiny grove of trees.

With the high lift option, and now that I have gone to 16" wheels and light truck tires by Michelin, I have 18" of clearance from the ground to the lowest frame point under the trailer. This allows me to back up over small boulders or logs until my leveling jacks will just clear the obstacle. This has come in handy more than a few times with challenging boondocking locations. With this added height of the Wonder Egg, the Oliver folks created a new, super-de-duper, alimunum double step to facilitate entry and exit for me. (Ya just gotta love those guys!). I have the prototype on my rig which is awesome enough . . . they are refining it even more and should be offering it as an add-on option soon. Compare the strength of this Ollie step with the erector-set style offered on Airstreams and this one wins, hands down!

So yes, you can easily squeeze a 17'er into some great spots . . . BUT . . . If you head for the great outdoors with a couple of people and some great furkids and stay out for a looooong time, the extra length and width enjoyed in the 23'er could make a HUGE difference in everyone's mental well being. As with most things in life, it's a trade off. One thing is for sure, you just can't beat the style and quality in any Ollie you may select.

ljcodw5ftneg451et8y6pz6o9j3vig9u.jpg

045l3wretiyim78phj5wdjfmpywvwyrn.jpg

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Tom, Older Pal, I learned that when there's a will there's a way . . . Finally got it out didn't I?

Don't worry about the chuckle on my behalf. Ya gotta have a sense of humor. And thanks for letting me charge admission to the "Watch the Professor back up his Ollie" show. I earned enough to help buy the double step. Thanks, buddy.

• Moderator+

Rob,

Since the length of a travel trailer is typically stated using a measurement from the tip of the hitch to the back of the rear bumper, the 23.5 foot length you see stated for the Oliver Elite II is from "end to end." I’m not really clear on how the term twenty two foot Oliver originated.

The usable inside length of the OE II is seventeen feet (our former 17 foot Oliver was around 12 feet). The tongue length of 6.5 feet seems correct. We had our frame modified as it was built to accommodate an addition on the tongue making it about 21 inches longer. So our Outlaw Oliver’s overall length is greater than 25 feet. Combine that with our new GMC Sierra’s 20 foot length and we’ve got a veritable train going down the road. Still, we’ve not found any place that we could put the OO I that we can't with the OO II.

The 5 x 2 x 3/16 inch tubing frame is made from 6063-T52 extruded aluminum. As to the longevity and structural integrity of aluminum vs steel, I have no personal knowledge but an internet search of "aluminum vs steel trailer" yielded: http://www.fthr.com/owner-support/trail ... l-trailers perhaps that article can help you understand the pros and cons of each. I know we must be very satisfied with our aluminum frame since I never think about it. I’ve seen several threads devoted to the care of various other trailers steel frames.

Hope this helps...

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg