A Thread for OTT Owners of "New-to-Them" Ollivers...

MAX Burner

So... there's some awesome threads in the forum about those who order brand new Olivers from the factory.  We thoroughly enjoy reading stories written by folks waiting for months for the day they'll travel to the "Mother Ship" to collect their newly hatched Egg.  

We thought it would be interesting to hear from those of us who decided to join the OTT Family by easing into it by investing in a previously owned rig.  Commenting on some of issues, challenges, and probably the most interesting... the "surprises" they found after buying their OTT might be very entertaining.

We invite y'all to pipe-up and share some of your funny, or even not-so-funny experiences...  We could all learn a lot from these posts, IMHO.  It should go without saying, but original OTT owners are 100% encouraged to comment and engage in this General Discussion Topic!  

What say, you?

Cheers to the Oliver Family!

• Like 4

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Good one, @HDRider!  We remember seeing a few double digit Hull numbers out there... So, who has the lowest Hull#?

In fact, you might want to include your TV type, year & Hull #, and location in your signature block.  It helps others to answer questions you may have...

• Like 1

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

4 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Good one, @HDRider!  We remember seeing a few double digit Hull numbers out there... So, who has the lowest Hull#?

I recollect that it may be SeaDog at Hull #12!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

We bought our Oliver used. We did have some challenges in the beginning, a voltage issue and knowing nothing about the workings of anything let alone the voltage in the camper we were thrown into a needle in a haystack problem!! Many people in the forum as well as Jason at Oliver spent hours and days with us on the phone trying to troubleshoot. We finally found the loose wire that was the culprit! Since then it’s been perfect. What pleased us the most was even though we bought used, Oliver went above and beyond helping us. We were very impressed with the help we received.❤️

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

@Katjo:  We also bought our Ollie used after a couple years of ogling over our friend's, reading threads, selling our SOBs, and then finally dropped the hammer on "Casablanca" back in March.  So, we're new at the OTT ownership thing - but we're really loving everything about it.  Been doing quite a bit of business with Ryder back at the Mothership's Parts Team - he's been helping us out routinely on many levels.  

One surprise we had (and there's been quite a few) was discovering the secret compartment below the pantry hatch about 7 weeks after we brought CB home.  The PO didn't mention it during our walk-around inspection/intro.  But inside (SURPRISE!) was a brand new kitchen sink cutting board made by Foy!  I had just previously made one for my wife from an extra bamboo cutting board we had - so like I've said to her many times over the years, "ONE is None and TWO is ONE!"  HA!

Looking forward to hearing some more experiences along these lines from others!

Cheers, y'all!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

spacer.png

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, Geronimo John said:

I recollect that it may be SeaDog at Hull #12!

The Red "Jelly Bean" Hull #010 owned by Brandi Schaffer is the lowest numbered hull that I know that is still on the road. It was originally delivered in January of 2008. She said that she'll be at the rally.

Larry and Betty Harmon (mountainborn) bought the first Oliver sold Hull #003. It was delivered in September of 2007. I have seen it once since Larry sold it over 10 years ago.

The Black "Gambler's Edition" Hull #009 was spotted behind an old building in Reno or Las Vegas several years ago. I don't have any more current info about it.

But, if you take it one step further and look at who has the lowest Hull number AND is the original owner that would be Paul and Sherry Cavanaugh (SeaDawg) in their Hull # 012 originally delivered in February of 2008.

• Like 8
  • Wow 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

49 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

But, if you take it one step further and look at who has the lowest Hull number AND is the original owner that would be Paul and Sherry Cavanaugh (SeaDawg) in their Hull # 012 originally delivered in February of 2008.

Then @SeaDawg  gets the prize then, right @ScubaRx?  We just don't know what that prize would be...?

• Like 3

spacer.png

1 hour ago, MAX Burner said:

selling our SOBs

...not to offend the faint of heart - "SOBs" = Some Other Brands.  We sold two other campers before buying our Ollie, FYI.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

spacer.png

• Moderator+
3 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

Then @SeaDawg  gets the prize then, right @ScubaRx?  We just don't know what that prize would be...?

I suppose that depends on how you interpret the original question "Who has the oldest Ollie?"

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

10 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

I suppose that depends on how you interpret the original question "Who has the oldest Ollie?"

I'm thinking Brandi Schaffer owner of #010, "Jelly Bean",  @SeaDawg with Hull #12 and whoever owns Hull #003, "The Oldest Ollie"  should pipe-up and claim victory!

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

As the nominator of SeaDog to this question, I suggest you provide them a ten-year free subscription to the OTT Owner's Forum.

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

• Moderators

It depends on definition. 

@Bshaffer owns #10, and is a second or third owner, and has done amazing renovations on the ultimately cute red jelly bean, and is sometimes active here on the forum. I see her more often when I check in on Facebook group.

We have #12, as original owners. Pete , @bugeyedriver is just a month or so younger than our hull #12. (14, I think, and original owner.)

#3 contacted me years ago. I don't know if they still have it. #3 is the storied trailer owned by Mountainborn, where it all really began, for marketing. We bought ours, after seeing a grainy video on another site, and visiting the factory with the late Robert Partee.

I've been in touch with a number of original and second owners over the years. Still friends with a number of those from our "small group" days of camping together at unofficial rallies. Very close friends with a handful, whether they still own their Ollie or not. Others, we camp and sail with on a regular basis. (Obviously,  we're all older. Some don't camp anymore.)

A number of the early trailers are still  out there, somewhere, but not in touch with the forum.

Truth is, our now 15 and 16 year old trailers have stood the "test of time." And, it's been exciting for all of us "older" gen owners to watch the progression and evolution from the original Elite I.  We tend to pick and choose pur updates, but continued ownership, and the reliability,  is a testament to the product. 

Personally,  I  can't say enough about the support and family feeling we've received from Oliver over the now many years. It's a great corporate culture. So many great people. 

Before Mountainborn,  I  never knew there was a Hohenwald,  Tennessee.  Now, it's one of our favorite towns. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Care 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

As the nominator of SeaDog to this question, I suggest you provide them a ten-year free subscription to the OTT Owner's Forum.

GJ

Happy to do that, @Geronimo John. (Love your sense of humor.)

Aloha. My best friend from grade school also winters in Hawaii. It's so beautiful there. When do you return to the mainland?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

The original "oldest" , the one that started it all, is the John Oliver trailer, on display in Hohenwald.  

We all benefit from the labor of love of the twins, Jim and John, and the continued efforts of their family,  and the extended family of Oliver employees. 

A side note: both our 46+ year sailboat, and our 2008 Oliver, are hulls #12.

How very cool is that?

• Like 8

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

6 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Aloha. My best friend from grade school also winters in Hawaii. It's so beautiful there. When do you return to the mainland?

Our 2023 Summer voyage is 1 JULY to October.  Quite a bit shorter than our 2022 15,000 mile Houston to Alaska tour.  Just heading up to Oklahoma and then SLC and King Mountain near Arco ID.  Just about 6,000 miles or so.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

...not to offend the faint of heart - "SOBs" = Some Other Brands.  We sold two other campers before buying our Ollie, FYI.

The Oliver is our second camper, our first was an Airstream Nest.

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

5 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Just heading up to Oklahoma and then SLC and King Mountain near Arco ID.

Swing by New Mexico in October - stay at our 30A hookup and visit the International Balloon Fiesta.  That way I can get you that cold one I owe you, GJ!  You might even wish to take a flight off Sandia Peak, 10,680'!

• Like 2

spacer.png

Great Thread!  Thanks everyone.   I was looking over the list for this years Rally and said to Donna... "Hey... it looks like we are among the "Old Guard" of Oliver Trailer Owners.  (both a low hull number and original owner)  We were surprised at how quickly that happened.   7 years goes by fast.   See Y'all soon.. safe travels to the Rally. 

Scotty

• Like 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

We purchased our 2015 LE2 #75 used during 2016 from the original owners.

Scheduled a plant tour with Jason during May 2016 and our new to us LE2 also came up for sale on the forum during the same week we were scheduled for the plant tour. After the plant tour we headed to MO that afternoon to see the used Ollie. Camped in Ollie that night on the previous owner's farm and purchased Ollie the next day.

Towed Ollie home with a 2013 Nissan 4.0L Frontier. First thing learned even though our previous travel trailer was less than 1/2 the weight of Ollie with fuel economy at 13MPG, fuel economy increased to over 15MPG towing Ollie with the Frontier from MO to NC. Ollie had great towing manners and stopped nicely when someone pulled out in front of us during the trip home.

Had some water leaks from the dinette window and rear Oliver sign. Once the leaks were fixed, no leaks since. 🙂

Now towing Ollie with a 2022 Toyota Tundra and getting over 15MPG in NC & TN. Our LE2 did not have original factory installed solar charging so we use portable suitcase solar charging with BattleBorn lithium battery. Always admired the white window shades in later model Ollies, so we purchased a set from Oliver.

Next camping trips will be on the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC! Still get the comment "Is this a brand new camper"! 🙂

Valley of Fire NV:

IMG_3664-L.jpg

Blue Ridge Parkway NC:

2022091713140922--9161740012168655980-IM

🙂

• Like 5

LE2

On 5/10/2023 at 1:21 PM, ScubaRx said:

The Red "Jelly Bean" Hull #010 owned by Brandi Schaffer is the lowest numbered hull that I know that is still on the road. It was originally delivered in January of 2008. She said that she'll be at the rally.

Too funny.  My wife showed the red "Jelly Bean" to me this morning on FB

• Haha 1

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

On 5/10/2023 at 3:52 PM, SeaDawg said:

A number of the early trailers are still  out there, somewhere, but not in touch with the forum.

#7 posted a photo on one of the Facebook groups in reply to JellyBean's photo. It is owned by Tony Hodgson

301896518_6035797359781532_940988587984593916_n.thumb.jpg.69ae0a3b937c906cfd4fa50b0b14d076.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

We purchased our 2019 EII used in September 2020 - a definite result of the Covid year! I wanted to take advantage of being able to travel in the remote school year with our youngest (and only kiddo left at home.) Shortly after having found Oliver and being pretty convinced it was a top contender, I happened upon a 2018 that had just come available not far from our home. I couldn't believe it since I knew at the time there were only a few for sale across the country. We went to look and liked it but someone else snagged it before we made a decision.

I watched this forum, another fiberglass forum, RV Trader, etc., like a hawk and was about ready to place an order for a new one (but kept holding off because I really wanted one immediately so as not to waste any more of the year than we already had) and within several weeks found ours and drove to Tucson to buy it. Our surprise wasn't a cutting board made by Foy (too bad!) - - instead, we found a small leak in a fitting under the curbside bed. Thankfully, the fix was pretty straightforward and didn't cost much. Like any RV, we've had some things that have needed repair along the way but it was a GREAT purchase. We were concerned about the warranty not being transferrable to us as second owners but it turned out to not be an issue as we had little that would've been covered. There are some things we like even more about our 2019 than the newer ones - things no longer available. That, coupled with the price increases that had already occurred at the time and again since then, leaves us very satisfied with our decision to buy used. We've taken so many trips and have seen things we wouldn't have otherwise. USED FOR THE WIN in our case!

• Like 4

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILKYLAMSMONMOKTNTXUT99FFFFsm.jpg

• Moderator+
On 5/15/2023 at 9:24 AM, Steve Morris said:

#7 posted a photo on one of the Facebook groups in reply to JellyBean's photo. It is owned by Tony Hodgson

So this trailer would qualify as currently the one with the lowest Hull Number still on the road. It's delivery date was 01-07-2008 and it was sold for just under $30K. Tony Hodgson is not the first owner.

• Like 5
  • Wow 1