Rear Hitch

Big Cat

• Moderator+

Depending on lots of things, this may or may not be a good idea.

What size Generator?

Single rear receiver or two?

Will you be planning to move it from the hitch to run it?

Where will you plug it in?

You do know you will have to install a transfer switch?

I don't personally know any who has done this. What's wrong with using a front basket?

• Like 7

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

This has been discussed countless times, do a search and then come back with any specific questions. We cannot read your mind, you must be more communicative.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+
15 hours ago, Big Cat said:

I have other use for the front.

That one was a throwaway, what about the other questions?

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

The rear hitch is only recommended to be used for weights of less than 100lbs and it's also important to note that the weight should be placed as close to the bumper as possible and not cantilevered outward.  Typically this hitch is used for mounting a bicycle rack ( and that's truly what it's intended purpose is ) as is evident by the 1 1/4" acceptor.  I would not risk mounting a cargo tray back there others may disagree.    

• Like 1

Tom & Doreen • 2023 Elite ll • Hull #1321 • 2023 Tundra Platinum Crew Max • Cheshire CT 

States1.jpg

• Moderators

For your reading pleasure :

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/search/?q="Rear hitch"&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=or

using "rear hitch" vs rear hitch in search bar narrows the results down from over 4,000 entries.

As others have already mentioned, the rear is not an ideal place for a generator, especially if you want to leave it permanently mounted, and run it in place. The weight on the rear end is a big consideration.  It's also (imo) a poor choice of  place because of vibration, under travel, for an expensive genset, and also for you, trying to sleep in the rear bed(s), as well as noise. 

Then, of course, there is the increased possibility for intrusion of co fumes/station wagon effect, as most of the windows and vents are in the rear of the trailer. 

I'm remembering the first time Pete/bugeyedriver camped with us in WNC, in a 2008 summer monsoon storm. I left our rear window cracked a tiny bit (it's an awning window in our older trailers, not a slider.) The fumes from our little gas grill, with a closed lid, set up at the rear of the trailer, set the co monitor into "full moon wolf howling" mode.

Super glad the alarm worked. Super unhappy to deal with it in the mountain darkness, rain, and wind... Never did that again. I always set the grill up further away from windows, now, and genset somewhere that the prevailing winds carry the co away from the trailer.

Free advice, often worth the price.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, Big Cat said:

I have done a search. Not sure why any mind reading is necessary. I am looking for advice on attaching a hitch on the rear. 

Here is my advice:  don't do it.  The forces on anything cantilevered off the back end of an Oliver trailer are much more than you might think.  Even if you had the factory-installed hitch, attaching a generator platform to that hitch, and hauling a generator there, would be unwise.

Find another place to haul the generator, like in your tow vehicle, as we do.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.7206963e2ba0844e23fbe0b2f44b39d0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.241d1e4adf3e50f67df62917e60c703d.jpeg

People do this all the time, but please do not join them, it really is a bad idea. Not only is it a violent location, it is filthy and super wet . Not a good location for any kind of powered equipment. I carry a 50 pound ebike (battery removed) on a tray close to the bumper. It’s OK, and when I had my cargo basket there, with two full jerry cans of fuel, it was just OK, but far from ideal.

IMG_3464.thumb.jpeg.338540c61eb493a1b238aac17fbbe1e6.jpeg

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3263-how-to-move-the-factory-cargo-tray-to-a-rear-rack/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

TOP PHOTO:  Not only is all that heavy kit hanging off the bumper of the dude's single axle SOB a bit unnerving, but what's especially intriguing is the interesting wiring harness from the battery (also heavy) forward into the side of the TT.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

4 hours ago, Tom and Doreen said:

The rear hitch is only recommended to be used for weights of less than 100lbs and it's also important to note that the weight should be placed as close to the bumper as possible and not cantilevered outward.  Typically this hitch is used for mounting a bicycle rack ( and that's truly what its intended purpose is ) as is evident by the 1 1/4" acceptor.  I would not risk mounting a cargo tray back there others may disagree.    

@Tom and Doreen

My 2020 rear bumper is rated for 150 lbs according to the warning sticker Oliver placed on the bumper.
Are the 2023’s only rated for less than 100 lbs? I am interested to know if this has changed. 

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderator+
9 hours ago, Big Cat said:

I have done a search. Not sure why any mind reading is necessary. I am looking for advice on attaching a hitch on the rear. 

Folks are giving you advice, it's seemingly just not what you want to hear so you keep asking. Since you've chosen not to answer all of my questions, I can only assume you had not thought of these issues and you don't have any answers. All of them are pertinent and important to the application you propose. It could be done (as can anything, if you throw enough time and money at it) but it would not be easy or necessarily safe.

I had a long list of reasons with explanations of why this is a bad idea but since you chose to ignore my questions I'm going to let you figure this one out the hard way, but believe me, this will be a CWOT that is destined to fail and possibly hurt someone.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

• Moderators

Think it through. Read posts. 

You'll probably realize the best place for a genset is in the truckbed, or on the tongue.

The rear bumper of the trailer is exposed, wildly more prone to vibrations, and just not the ideal spot for a genset, imo.

Btw, you said you had another use for the front basket. What was that?  If we seem negative,  I'm sorry.  It's just that we've seen some crazy blunders over the years,  and we'd like to help you avoid them. None of us mean to be unkind. We seriously just want to help.

• Like 7

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Big Cat, if you could provide a little more information you would get a lot more help!   There are a lot of Olivers with a rear hitch.  You indicate you want to carry a generator on the back of your Oliver.  What size, what weight?  I had an inverter generator that weighed 95lbs, I now have one that weighs 37lbs.  Big difference.  I’m sure you’ve followed travel trailers with a load on the back - if the road isn’t smooth there’s lots of bouncing around.  Keeping the right amount of tongue weight is also important, what is it that you want to carry on the tongue, will it counter balance the weight in the rear?  

You’ll get lots of good help here if you could be a little more informative on what you want to do.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I appreciate all the help. I find it a little amusing that some people can get their feathers ruffled so easily.

I see why a hitch on the rear is not a great idea. I had already bought a container for the front for storage. I guess that was just a waste because it seems that is the only real option for a generator.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Patriot said:

@Tom and Doreen

My 2020 rear bumper is rated for 150 lbs according to the warning sticker Oliver placed on the bumper.
Are the 2023’s only rated for less than 100 lbs? I am interested to know if this has changed. 

Patriot🇺🇸

Honestly I can't remember, I thought that's what I was told at the factory but I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

Tom & Doreen • 2023 Elite ll • Hull #1321 • 2023 Tundra Platinum Crew Max • Cheshire CT 

States1.jpg

3 hours ago, Big Cat said:

I appreciate all the help. I find it a little amusing that some people can get their feathers ruffled so easily.

I see why a hitch on the rear is not a great idea. I had already bought a container for the front for storage. I guess that was just a waste because it seems that is the only real option for a generator.

Many of us carry our generator in the back of our tow vehicle. 

• Like 2

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 2:59 PM, Patriot said:

@Tom and Doreen

Patriot🇺🇸

Our 2023 has the sticker on the bumper giving a 150 lb limit. No change.

Jeffemac

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2014 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 Power Stroke with heavy duty tow package; 3.55 ratio; AirLift rear suspension

2023 Elite ll Twin Bed and Lithium Pro and Truma Package; Hull #1368; Delivery Date: April 12,2023

Homebased in Richland, WA