Anyone tow w/Sierra 1500 5.3?

EricG

Hi everyone,

I don’t have an Oliver yet, but seriously looking at the Elite II (I will go the used route if possible).  
I have a 2020 GMC Sierra Crew Cab with 5.3, 10 speed transmission, 4x4 with tow package.  Based on numbers (will attach), I will be able to use this as my tv.  I’m looking to see if anyone with this truck can really tell me how well, or poorlyit does.  I know this is a little subjective, but thought I’d ask anyway.  I know it won’t be as effortless as a 3/4 ton. I understand that I will need to use a wdh.  

Payload in truck would be 300# of humans and 60# of dog. We haven’t been camping/road tripping in a lot of years, so I know it may be easy to get close to payload capacity.  I looked at a couple of 2500 today-huge increase in payload, but mine is paid for so I’d like to see it work, but am realistic.  Anyway, let me know your experiences (if any).  Thanks.

No matter how I orient the picture in my files, it loads here upside down-sorry. 

Eric

IMG_7048.thumb.jpeg.47f8e193a46ce6ff90c5429114e3cb66.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Eric,

I cannot speak to the Sierra, but I have a 1500 Ram (5.7 liter and 3.92 axle ratio) with payload very similar to yours, 1665 lbs. I use the weight distribution hitch and having been pulling our 2020 LE2 up and down the east coast without issues.  Our typical trailer total weight is around 6,000 to 6,100 lbs and a tongue weight of 650-660 lbs. I do keep a close track on the payload. The bigger truck would definitely make things a lot easier though. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

image.jpeg.09f40a09983d95bd862eb789e3430148.jpeg

2019 Ram 1500 5.7L V8, 3.92 axle ratio - 2020 LEll - Hull676

34 minutes ago, Ray Kimsey said:

Hi Eric,

I cannot speak to the Sierra, but I have a 1500 Ram (5.7 liter and 3.92 axle ratio) with payload very similar to yours, 1665 lbs. I use the weight distribution hitch and having been pulling our 2020 LE2 up and down the east coast without issues.  Our typical trailer total weight is around 6,000 to 6,100 lbs and a tongue weight of 650-660 lbs. I do keep a close track on the payload. The bigger truck would definitely make things a lot easier though. Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the response Ray. That’s kinda what I thought, although you have a better axle ratio than in my truck.  Decisions, decisions.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hope someone can speak up. Reading your specs, albeit upside down, looks like you should technically be golden

I like a 20 per cent margin. You'll need the wdh. 

As my daily driver is a 2005 Silverado 1500 stepside, you have to know I'm in the "love the one you're with" camp, if tv has decent specs.

My friend (and my longterm mechanic ) and I  were laughing the other day about our 2005s. We're in no rush to replace reliable equipment,  paid for a long time ago.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

We had an earlier model Sierra we bought new and I thought it would be the perfect tow vehicle. It had a crew cab, 6.2L engine with Max Tow Pkg., 4WD, all the bells and whistles. It also had a dismal payload of about 1500 or so pounds, but I was not smart enough at the time to realize how much difference that made. Your sticker shows that your truck has a max payload of 1635 pounds with 360 pounds of people and dogs. The tongue weight on a new LEII will run somewhere in the mid 600's. This will leave you with only 600 pounds for everything else in the truck. From that 600 pounds has to come the weight of everything else, Camping gear, cell phones, box of tissues, everything you've added, anything that was not attached to the truck the day it rolled off the assembly line.

Do you have a topper, subtract another 200 pounds.

You will have to use an Andersen Hitch, subtract 65 pounds.

The numbers will work but that's not real life. In our case, that truck really struggled in the mountains and was constantly overheating (despite the Max Tow Package). Transmission temps would routinely rise above 220 degrees.

Basically, as many of use have discovered, a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck will do a much better job, your fuel mileage will be better and you will have a very pleasant (rather than a constantly worrying) towing experience. Plus you can haul anything you want without overloading the truck and you don't have to fool with the Andersen Hitch.

We've been through four different tow vehicles over the past 10 years (Tahoe, Sierra 1500, Silverado 2500HD Diesel, Silverado 3500HD Diesel) with this trailer. If I had known in 2013 what I know now about towing, I would have bought a one ton diesel truck then and would have saved enough to buy a brand new 3500 today in the doing.

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

There are many people here who tow with a 1500, with tow package, and wdh, successfully. 

Some definitely have to limit payload.

Skip the genset on the tongue, you'll lighten the load.

Most important,  have the total tow package. Having a hitch isn't a package.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, ScubaRx said:

We had an earlier model Sierra we bought new and I thought it would be the perfect tow vehicle. It had a crew cab, 6.2L engine with Max Tow Pkg., 4WD, all the bells and whistles. It also had a dismal payload of about 1500 or so pounds, but I was not smart enough at the time to realize how much difference that made. Your sticker shows that your truck has a max payload of 1635 pounds with 360 pounds of people and dogs. The tongue weight on a new LEII will run somewhere in the mid 600's. This will leave you with only 600 pounds for everything else in the truck. From that 600 pounds has to come the weight of everything else, Camping gear, cell phones, box of tissues, everything you've added, anything that was not attached to the truck the day it rolled off the assembly line.

Do you have a topper, subtract another 200 pounds.

You will have to use an Andersen Hitch, subtract 65 pounds.

The numbers will work but that's not real life. In our case, that truck really struggled in the mountains and was constantly overheating (despite the Max Tow Package). Transmission temps would routinely rise above 220 degrees.

Basically, as many of use have discovered, a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck will do a much better job, your fuel mileage will be better and you will have a very pleasant (rather than a constantly worrying) towing experience. Plus you can haul anything you want without overloading the truck and you don't have to fool with the Andersen Hitch.

We've been through four different tow vehicles over the past 10 years (Tahoe, Sierra 1500, Silverado 2500HD Diesel, Silverado 3500HD Diesel) with this trailer. If I had known in 2013 what I know now about towing, I would have bought a one ton diesel truck then and would have saved enough to buy a brand new 3500 today in the doing.

💯 agree with all the above.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Here's the rub.

Is it nice to have a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup to tow? Sure. Bigger the better. It's always easier with a bigger TV. Been there, done that,  back in the day..

Been towing for over 55 years, first with my dad. I had a special license, and we probably towed a lot of trailers that wouldn't pass,today. (Overloaded, then, for sure, by today's standards.)  But, we towed safely, and made every cross country trip.

Even so, back then, learned about loading and balancing.

You do NOT need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to tow an Oliver 2. You will need a wdh, and a legit tow package,  with a half ton. You may need to watch payload. You will not be able to carry all the contents of your garage workbench with a half ton, or a rock collection, or a gazzillion heavy spare parts.

If your tow vehicle fits specs, and has the above, and especially if you already know how to tow, you'll be fine, imo.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thanks to everyone for your input, and to John E.Davies for orienting my picture correctly (show off 😊).

I don’t have a lot of recent experience towing (used to tow a motorcycle trailer and a 16ft pop up camper after that), and no real experience with travel trailers, or wdh’s.  I’m a pretty safety conscious person on top of that, which is why I asked for experiences and advice. 

Thanks for a great forum/sounding board, much appreciated. I’ll put some good thought in to my next steps regarding a travel trailer and tow vehicle.

Eric

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

5.3 half ton will work fine if you are not out west. I had a 5.3 half ton Chevy that I pulled a 25ft Airstream Se which was 5600 lbs dry and 980 tongue weight.. I pulled all over the east US plus the Southwest with the 5.3 6 speed ( 2014). I would of like to have a 8 or 10 speed , the down shifts would have been smoother. I sold it with 85k on it 90% towing no oil burn or trans problems. Same pkg you have 4x4 tow pkg 12mpg towing running with traffic . I got a little better towing the Oliver L2  which I now have. So happy with the 1500 I replaced with a 2022 Silverado 1500 extend cab short bed 4x4 3.0 Duramax that pulled back from Ca to Mi  and got 16mpg running with the flow 75+ in Az thru TX. You will need a Anderson hitch with a 1/2 ton.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, jim sroka said:

5.3 half ton will work fine if you are not out west. I had a 5.3 half ton Chevy that I pulled a 25ft Airstream Se which was 5600 lbs dry and 980 tongue weight.. I pulled all over the east US plus the Southwest with the 5.3 6 speed ( 2014). I would have like to have a 8 or 10 speed , the down shifts would have been smoother. I sold it with 85k on it 90% towing no oil burn or trans problems. Same pkg you have 4x4 tow pkg 12mpg towing running with traffic . I got a little better towing the Oliver L2  which I now have. So happy with the 1500 I replaced with a 2022 Silverado 1500 extend cab short bed 4x4 3.0 Duramax that pulled back from Ca to Mi  and got 16mpg running with the flow 75+ in Az thru TX. You will need an Anderson hitch with a 1/2 ton.

Thanks Jim for letting me know your experience. I haven’t had the opportunity to see an Oliver in person, yet, but hopefully can locate one soon.  

Eric

23 minutes ago, EricG said:

Thanks Jim for letting me know your experience. I haven’t had the opportunity to see an Oliver in person, yet, but hopefully can locate one soon.  

Eric

Eric,

Reach out to Oliver Sales and they will locate an owner in your area and arrange a visit. Most owners are more than happy to show you their Oliver.

As for towing you will receive a variety of many different opinions. Only you can decide what comfort level and safety level you are happy with. Consider safety in stopping distance, cargo capacity, and and long range driving comfort that 3/4 or 1 ton trucks have to offer. There is no comparison in our experience.
We initially pulled our Ollie with a half ton and quickly realized we were splitting hairs on cargo and tongue weights with our gear and Ollie ready to camp. So for us the half ton was just not going to work. 

Best of luck with your choice!

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

3 hours ago, Patriot said:

Eric,

Reach out to Oliver Sales and they will locate an owner in your area and arrange a visit. Most owners are more than happy to show you their Oliver.

As for towing you will receive a variety of many different opinions. Only you can decide what comfort level and safety level you are happy with. Consider safety in stopping distance, cargo capacity, and and long range driving comfort that 3/4 or 1 ton trucks have to offer. There is no comparison in our experience.
We initially pulled our Ollie with a half ton and quickly realized we were splitting hairs on cargo and tongue weights with our gear and Ollie ready to camp. So for us the half ton was just not going to work. 

Best of luck with your choice!

Patriot🇺🇸

Thanks.  I didn’t want to go through the Oliver site as I will be in the market for a used model.  I also hate for someone to clean up their rig just for me to see it.

Eric

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 6:06 PM, SeaDawg said:

You do NOT need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to tow an Oliver 2. You will need a wdh, and a legit tow package,  with a half ton. You may need to watch payload.

You get what you pay for. 

I tow our Elite II with a 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra, with tow package and an Andersen WD hitch.  The experience is totally acceptable.  But, we have to watch payload carefully, and I can sure tell there is a trailer back there on the road, especially on curves.

But, when I eventually replace the Tundra, I will look hard at a 3/4 ton Chevy, Ford or Dodge (the only options presently).  Why?  More worry-free camping, less scrimping on payload, less stress when towing.

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
6 hours ago, EricG said:
10 hours ago, Patriot said:

Thanks.  I didn’t want to go through the Oliver site as I will be in the market for a used model.  I also hate for someone to clean up their rig just for me to see it.

Those of us who are active showing trailers, as I used to be, have the choice to accept or decline. 

When our trailer was newer, we loved showing it. Made some new friends.  

(I don't often show ours anymore, as it's 15+ years old, and most folks like to see the new stuff. A few like to see how "gracefully " an Oliver ages. )

Here's a fun story. Back many years ago, I got a request from Oliver to show our Elite 1. I talked with the folks, told them we'd just come home from a long camping trip, and explained that it would not be in "showroom" condition.

After spending an hour or so with the trailer, we sat on our patio with a drink, chatting. I explained that we'd just returned from my college roommate's daughters wedding in ***, Connecticut, ending two months on the road.

Turns out, they had been invited to the same wedding, though they declined because of prior travel plans. We discovered we shared a mutual, very dear friend.  

We've stayed in touch now for over a decade. 

Life is fun, when you keep the door open just a bit.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Those of us who are active showing trailers, as I used to be, have the choice to accept or decline. 

When our trailer was newer, we loved showing it. Made some new friends.  

(I don't often show ours anymore, as it's 15+ years old, and most folks like to see the new stuff. A few like to see how "gracefully " an Oliver ages. )

Here's a fun story. Back many years ago, I got a request from Oliver to show our Elite 1. I talked with the folks, told them we'd just come home from a long camping trip, and explained that it would not be in "showroom" condition.

After spending an hour or so with the trailer, we sat on our patio with a drink, chatting. I explained that we'd just returned from my college roommate's daughters wedding in ***, Connecticut, ending two months on the road.

Turns out, they had been invited to the same wedding, though they declined because of prior travel plans. We discovered we shared a mutual, very dear friend.  

We've stayed in touch now for over a decade. 

Life is fun, when you keep the door open just a bit.

That is a a great story wow!! Thanks for sharing. No doubt life is all about relationships and a decade later still going strong! 👍🏻

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

18 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

The experience is totally acceptable. 

Same here -100% concur @Rivernerd.  But, I believe much of the satisfaction comes from many years/miles of experience with various TVs....  With the Tundra, we're still mindful of payload weight and distribution.  At the end of the day, it's always a very pleasant Tundra/Casablanca towing experience (knock on wood.).

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

14 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Turns out, they had been invited to the same wedding,

Good one, @SeaDawg!!!

When we were younger, such "Small-World" Stories used to absolutely amaze us.  Getting older, we've learned to "accept" the fact SWSs will keep surfacing - it is.... a very small blue ball spinning around the sun!

IMO, this might be an interesting Forum Thread subject... "OTT Small-World Stories."

Cheers!

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I just have to share 

Well, I have to laugh and keep going.  So, I found a good deal on a 2023 GMC 2500 Duramax diesel and they offered me on trade in almost what I paid for my 2020 1500 three years ago.  On the day we verbally agreed to the deal, a school bus (thankfully empty of students) veered into my lane-the lug nut on his driver side wheel just caught my wheel and jerked my truck over, popped my tire and slammed me into the bus. 

It’s about $3k in damage. Anyway, I’ll figure something different out now.

• Wow 1
  • Sad 4

• Moderators
13 hours ago, EricG said:

I’ll figure something different out now.

Perhaps this was meant to be.  Hopefully no one was injured and the dealer will still honor the deal in some fashion.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

10 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Perhaps this was meant to be.  Hopefully no one was injured and the dealer will still honor the deal in some fashion.

Bill

Bill,

Yep, the most important thing was that there were no injuries.  I’m so very thankful that no kids were on the bus.  I’m going to drop it off to get fixed in a week and then keep looking.  The 2024 GMC 2500 has had some great changes, but the dealers here are asking a $20k premium over MSRP 🙄.  
It will take about a $1k hit for having a “dirty” CARFAX, but overall it’s just a minor blip on the radar that could have been a lot worse. 

I’m not sure if/when I will get an Oliver, but overall this forum is full of some really good people-thanks everyone.

Eric

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, EricG said:

The 2024 GMC 2500 has had some great changes, but the dealers here are asking a $20k premium over MSRP 🙄.  

OUCH!

• Wow 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"