Honda EU2200i storage/transport in truck bed…

Oh so close.  Looking for a good storage bin option for transporting the Honda EU2200i generator in the truck bed (with a bed cover) to keep things clean and organized.  I don’t have the front Ollie basket, plus I want to keep the generator under the truck bed cover away from prying eyes.  I tried one of my 24 gallon RubberMaid Action Packer bins and it’s ALMOST perfect for the generator, a 2 gallon RotoPax fuel container, and an extra quart of oil, with a PIG Mat in the bottom of the Action Packer to absorb any oil or gas drips (but I doubt the Honda will leak anything).  Holds things nice and snug, EXCEPT for the height.   The inside ribs on the double walled lid interfere with the generator handle and gas cap.   Might be time to get out the knife and modify the lid by cutting away one full rib, and also adding a small vent hole in the lid for fume venting.   Of course for running the generator it will be removed from the storage bin, and allowed to cool down before putting it back in the bin.

IMG_2426.jpeg

• Like 7

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Jim and Chris Neuman said:

Please let us know if your modification allows the lid to close.  Be a great storage option (the cardboard box my 2200i came in is about shot).

When we towed with my Silverado (no bed cover), I used to "camouflage" my Honda 1000 in an old tomato box... 

Of course, with the price of tomatoes these days, it might just attract more attention. 🙄 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I usually just carry mine in the bed wo any container, I usually need every bit of space, we don’t travel light. Lol.  I recall that there are a bunch of threads on Airforums regarding this topic and several folks had good options because they carried their genny inside the trailer. You might check out a search there. 

• Like 4

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

2 hours ago, Frank C said:

Might be time to get out the knife and modify the lid by cutting away one full rib

Solution Optimization:  Cut out part of the rib for the handle as you suggested.  Then pop rivet  in rubber tire tube to make a flexible roof over the handle area to keep dust out.

It could have a slit for fume venting or made separate as you suggested above.

GJ 

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Rolind said:

I usually just carry mine in the bed wo any container, I usually need every bit of space, we don’t travel light. Lol.  I recall that there are a bunch of threads on Airforums regarding this topic and several folks had good options because they carried their genny inside the trailer. You might check out a search there. 

Coincidentally I did search the internet for Honda generator storage box ideas and some ideas did pop up from the AirForum 🙂.  Same idea with an Action Packer but this solution used a heat gun to deform the inner lid area of the Action Packer to get rid of the interference.   A lot of other similar posts with various large plastic bins, usually with a cutout in the lid for the handle.   And the Action Packer doesn’t take up much more space than the generator and Rotopax gas container separately.  I have the short bed F-250 and we don’t pack light either 🙂.   I already use several of the Action Packers for other gear, they are great for maximizing the use of the storage volume under the bed cover and keeping everything organized and accessible when needed.  

IMG_2427.jpeg

IMG_2428.jpeg

• Like 4

Also, if anyone is looking for the Action Packer, Walmart currently has the 24 gallon size online at $39.88 which is the lowest price I’ve ever seen.    Current Amazon price is ridiculously high at $160 for a 2 pack. 

IMG_2429.jpeg

IMG_2431.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

I like your heat gun idea better than the Rubbermaid box or tire tube mod.  My goal is to keep the dust out of the generator so minimal dust entry points is a good idea.  It would also hide the precious cargo from not nice eyes looking to finance their habits.

Wonder what the fume ignition hazard is in the box or in our enclosed beds?

GJ

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

5 hours ago, Frank C said:

Oh so close.  Looking for a good storage bin option for transporting the Honda EU2200i generator in the truck bed (with a bed cover) to keep things clean and organized.  I don’t have the front Ollie basket, plus I want to keep the generator under the truck bed cover away from prying eyes.  I tried one of my 24 gallon RubberMaid Action Packer bins and it’s ALMOST perfect for the generator, a 2 gallon RotoPax fuel container, and an extra quart of oil, with a PIG Mat in the bottom of the Action Packer to absorb any oil or gas drips (but I doubt the Honda will leak anything).  Holds things nice and snug, EXCEPT for the height.   The inside ribs on the double walled lid interfere with the generator handle and gas cap.   Might be time to get out the knife and modify the lid by cutting away one full rib, and also adding a small vent hole in the lid for fume venting.   Of course for running the generator it will be removed from the storage bin, and allowed to cool down before putting it back in the bin.

IMG_2426.jpeg

I jumped to the bottom of this thread to comment before sending; but decided to re-read the entire thread  before posting. 
My immediate thought was a Heat Gun and it still is.  To soften the plastic where it makes contact with the Gen or fuel cans, then take the butt-end of a 4x4 and hammer it flat.

• Like 4

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

On 5/14/2023 at 3:36 PM, Geronimo John said:

I like your heat gun idea better than the Rubbermaid box or tire tube mod.  My goal is to keep the dust out of the generator so minimal dust entry points is a good idea.  It would also hide the precious cargo from not nice eyes looking to finance their habits.

Wonder what the fume ignition hazard is in the box or in our enclosed beds?

GJ

I tried the heat gun idea, but it didn’t give enough clearance.  That extra material has to go away completely.  The Honda generator has a very large vented gas gap that needs all the height clearance possible.  I ended up cutting away the inside top wall of the lid in one corner and that just barely gives enough height clearance for the generator gas cap.  The generator handle fits between the ribs on the lid since the generator is offset to one side of the Action Packer (see photo in the original first post above).  Now the lid does fit and latch closed.   The outer lid surface remains intact.  

IMG_2452.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Frank C said:

The outer lid surface remains intact.  

That's perfect! 

• Thanks 1

This Craftsman storage bin has worked really well for our 3200i with no modifications. It also allows for a little additional storage as the 3200i does not use all the room in the bin. Its stout enough that it can handle the weight of the gen without issues. I purchased it at Lowe’s.

IMG_8492.thumb.jpeg.3da1caf45308cb90e5e85aab9ddeb1ff.jpeg

IMG_8495.thumb.jpeg.456fbdf9eb5f43310d7c6d54745b50ba.jpeg

IMG_8501.thumb.jpeg.69b00e8b726097ace9da509bd5342280.jpeg

IMG_2394.thumb.png.2d0d7f6b50421582dfdd735cc3abceab.png

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Looking at 99.9% of storage containers, they are designed for shipping efficiency in bulk to the big box stores. IE: Tapered sides so that they will stack well.  The above, as well as the cool clear ones recently posted for pantry use are good examples.  For many uses, the tapered containers consume a lot of space.    Sometimes it does not matter, but for our Ollie, storage space is managed carefully.

GJ

• Like 2