Hail Protector

Katjo

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Katjo said:

First time I’ve ever seen one of these.

Bizarre looking thing!😳

Hail Protector SUV1 Size Portable Car Cover System for Truck, SUV or Van https://a.co/d/8vgbrYH

IMG_4873.jpeg

Interesting.

Well, I can tell you from personal experience,  you likely don't need it for your Ollie.

Some years back, we came back from dinner with friends in Waynesville,  one crazy night. Hail looked like snow in the banks, on i40, approaching Asheville. When we got back to Asheville,  hail bits were melting, but still the size of steely marbles. Zero damage to our Ollie. Zero damage to our solar panels, as well.

Can't say what would happen with extreme "grapefruit size" hail, but that's yet another night we were happy to have an Ollie, and not an Airstream or sob with a rubber roof. Vegetation around us was like a shredded salad, along with inches deep hail around our campsite. 

Life is good. Especially with my trusty Ollie. We've we developed a deep trust in our trailer, 16 seasons in.

We take care of it. It takes care of us.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

39 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Interesting.

Well, I can tell you from personal experience,  you likely don't need it for your Ollie.

Some years back, we came back from dinner with friends in Waynesville,  one crazy night. Hail looked like snow in the banks, on i40, approaching Asheville. When we got back to Asheville,  hail bits were melting, but still the size of steely marbles. Zero damage to our Ollie. Zero damage to our solar panels, as well.

Can't say what would happen with extreme "grapefruit size" hail, but that's yet another night we were happy to have an Ollie, and not an Airstream or sob with a rubber roof. Vegetation around us was like a shredded salad, along with inches deep hail around our campsite. 

Life is good. Especially with my trusty Ollie. We've we developed a deep trust in our trailer, 16 seasons in.

We take care of it. It takes care of us.

That’s one of the reasons why we didn’t buy another AS. 
Good to hear your Ollie made it through that hail storm unscathed. 
I do worry about the solar panels. 
This hail protector is made for trucks/SUVs but I did see a photo of someone that put one over their NuCamp Tab400. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Interesting that they say that it protects from any size hail. My parents live in Kansas. They had a severe hail storm 15 or 20 years ago. The hail was the size of small/medium cantaloupes. Some were disc shaped and as big as a dinner plate. My brother had one go through the rear window of his car and then shatter the underlying speaker.

Kirk

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

1 hour ago, snakeriveridaho said:

Interesting that they say that it protects from any size hail. My parents live in Kansas. They had a severe hail storm 15 or 20 years ago. The hail was the size of small/medium cantaloupes. Some were disc shaped and as big as a dinner plate. My brother had one go through the rear window of his car and then shatter the underlying speaker.

Kirk

Oh wow, that’s horrible! It sure can do a lot of damage. 

• Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

On 5/17/2023 at 6:36 PM, Katjo said:

First time I’ve ever seen one of these.

Bizarre looking thing!😳

Hail Protector SUV1 Size Portable Car Cover System for Truck, SUV or Van https://a.co/d/8vgbrYH

IMG_4873.jpeg

I like the concept, but probably really only good for small sized hail. I doubt that it would do much for softball sized hail which is rare but does happen.  I noticed a lot of one star reviews as well.  But again, I like the idea.  Probably better than pulling out blankets. 😀

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, GrumpyChoi said:

I like the concept, but probably really only good for small sized hail. I doubt that it would do much for softball sized hail which is rare but does happen.  I noticed a lot of one star reviews as well.  But again, I like the idea.  Probably better than pulling out blankets. 😀

I thought it was a good concept too. I’d never seen anything like it.😳

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

I always try and carry several heavy moving blankets to lay over the hood and maybe roof. I am not advocating this is going to prevent all hail damage, but it’s better than nothing if you know hail is on its way. Naturally timing is everything and staying weather aware as much as possible.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg