How do you wire Inverter

Big Cat

I have installed 2- 200 watt solar panels connected through a Victron Smart Solar charge controller to 4 lithium batteries that I am connecting to a 3000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter.  Can someone tell me how to connect the inverter to the Mother Ship please.

Maybe you should tell us your hull number and what brand and model inverter. It should have wiring instructions for the DC and the AC parts, that list cable sizes and other important specs. A 3000 watt inverter requires very heavy cables that you will probably have to make yourself.

.John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I would suggest you go check out this YouTube channel.  You will find detailed instructions on every part of a mobile electrical system.  He also has wiring diagrams that you can follow.  You are messing with large amount of electricity so you need to understand all aspects.  Your inverter will require 4/0 cable.

https://youtube.com/@EXPLORISTlife

John

• Like 3

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

4 hours ago, Jps190 said:

I would suggest you go check out this YouTube channel.  You will find detailed instructions on every part of a mobile electrical system.  He also has wiring diagrams that you can follow.  You are messing with large amount of electricity so you need to understand all aspects.  Your inverter will require 4/0 cable.

https://youtube.com/@EXPLORISTlife

John

💯 spot on! 

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

I would honestly suggest that you hire a local tech, if you are reaching out with questions. 

If, you're not familiar with higher voltage wiring.. and, have him/her check the rest of your wiring.  

This is not, imo, an amateur project.

No offense, if you are a pro. My husband was licensed.  Many of the contributing members here are, or were. 

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

13 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

This is not, imo, an amateur project.

Definitely a "non-trivial" installation to get everything just right.  E.g., correct cabling, safe/effective mounting, adequate ventilation (3kw inverters generate HEAT), etc.  It's more than, "how to wire an inverter", IMO.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 5/22/2023 at 1:05 PM, Big Cat said:

4 lithium batteries that I am connecting to a 3000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Big Cat:

Kindly first add to your signature block your trailer and tow vehicle info.   It is kind to do so.  I see from your profile you have a 2018 OEII.  Same as ours.

You have some really nice gear you appear to be adding (Solar, Litho's and 3,000 w inverter).  Individually they are easy to replace like for like.  But likely you are in an upgrade effort and that changes everything from a hazard perspective, as my above fellow owners have conveyed.  If you are in an upgrade mode, I agree with the above posts in that this is not a simple plug and play effort. 

If you are not experienced, get some help.  If you are a technical and can figure it out, then at least document your plan with specifics and post it back.  Critical elements are cable sizes, terminal connection process (Solder, Crimp, Both?), fuse protection devices and their protection levels, MFG and model of all components need to be shown if you want real advice on the safety and effectiveness of what you are planning to do.    

The primary concern for the DC side is that you have a potential in your Litho's to sustain 300 amps each = 1200 amps towards the trailer loads.  Instantaneous discharge can be MUCH higher.  That mandates your verification that your trailer fuse is a 300 Amp fuse and that your cables are sized as such.  Some other considerations:

• If you don't have a master battery cutoff switch, install one!  I recommend the BlueSeas 350 amp model. 
  • Wear face shield and have have your fire extinguisher handy when working any electrical.
  • Think through you use of the extra power from a larger 3,000 watt inverter.  For example, are you upgrading from the stock 2,000 watt inverter to safely allow you to run A/C off your Litho's?  If so, I strongly recommend that you install a separate power transfer switch dedicated for the Air Conditioning load.  Otherwise you will ultimately overload the existing switch that is either a 15 or 20 amp 120 Volt rated switch.  Just a matter of time before somebody turns on a heavy load (Think hair dryer or microwave) while the AC is running. 
  • The 3,000 watt inverter is much larger and heavier than the stock 2,000 watt unit.  This requires special techniques for mounting.  

All of the above extra efforts are well documented in our forum by owners who know what they were doing.  So, please be cautious and think of your entire electrical system before making modifications to it. Upgrades are not "just a plug and play" effort. 

GJ 

• Like 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg