Removing propane tanks.

Katjo

We never use our propane, we are always on shore power or solar so we are thinking about removing the tanks and modifying a box to add inside where the tanks go to use as storage. 
We would still keep it so that the tanks could go back in, but it’s really just wasted space for us. 
Has anybody removed their tanks and camp without them? 
Is there anything we should be aware of if we remove the tanks? 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

What might you do if your shore power is interrupted?  I assume that you have a generator and you do not cook with propane?

I've never heard or anyone who has removed their tank(s).  Perhaps you might want to remove the large tanks but still get a single smaller tank - just in case?

Bill

• Like 1
  • Care 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

17 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

What might you do if your shore power is interrupted?  I assume that you have a generator and you do not cook with propane?

I've never heard or anyone who has removed their tank(s).  Perhaps you might want to remove the large tanks but still get a single smaller tank - just in case?

Bill

I cook everything on electric or campfire. I’ve never used the propane in our Oliver or our last camper either. 
We will carry a smaller (just in case) tank if we remove the 2 large tanks. 

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

It would be a horrible idea, but only IF you didn’t plan to bring a 20 pound backup bottle in your truck. For safety reasons the bottle should be completely open to the air, not under a tonneau or cap. I have thought about your plan, you could take off the doghouse completely and build a dandy bolt-on aluminum storage/ bike platform there. But you have a light duty truck so you would still have to watch your tongue weight.

What would you carry there? My trailer has an aluminum expanded mesh floor under the bottles  and I keep all my wood blocks and some ropes in there, accessible through two hinged side doors. But nothing bulky will fit there with both bottles in place. you could install a floor and access openings and travel with a single 20 pound one in the factory location. would that be enough space?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

IMG_3533.thumb.jpeg.69826807949b8a8df4bdc1ee96cce083.jpeg

IMG_3535.thumb.jpeg.aa1078777eb522e2530c25e7edc41e9d.jpeg

You  could carry a whole bunch of Lego blocks in there with only one bottle….

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

27 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

It would be a horrible idea, but only IF you didn’t plan to bring a 20 pound backup bottle in your truck. For safety reasons the bottle should be completely open to the air, not under a tonneau or cap. I have thought about your plan, you could take off the doghouse completely and build a dandy bolt-on aluminum storage/ bike platform there. But you have a light duty truck so you would still have to watch your tongue weight.

What would you carry there? My trailer has an aluminum expanded mesh floor under the bottles  and I keep all my wood blocks and some ropes in there, accessible through two hinged side doors. But nothing bulky will fit there with both bottles in place. you could install a floor and access openings and travel with a single 20 pound one in the factory location. would that be enough space?

John Davies

Spokane WA

That is my biggest concern about adding a storage box like others have (leaving propane tanks as is) because we have a 1500, I’m very mindful of our tongue weight.
 Most I’ve seen with the boxes added are towing with a 2500 or 3500. 

I just feel that it’s such wasted space since we never use propane. 
I do like the idea of leaving one tank and installing a floor/access, that would be some extra useful space.🤔

Thank you for the advice/ideas.  

• Like 4

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

23 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

IMG_3533.thumb.jpeg.69826807949b8a8df4bdc1ee96cce083.jpeg

IMG_3535.thumb.jpeg.aa1078777eb522e2530c25e7edc41e9d.jpeg

You  could carry a whole bunch of Lego blocks in there with only one bottle….

John Davies

Spokane WA

Did you have that access door installed? I really like this idea. 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Katjo said:

As far as I know - 

ScubaRx was the first to do this mod.  You might want to ask him for details if you go down that road... Steve also "moved his propane within the enclosure in order to get more "storage" space in that same area.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

8 minutes ago, Jim and Chris Neuman said:

Be simple to put in a false floor which is designed for easy removal when and if the owner rethinks the modification or to return the trailer to a normal camping configuration if the owner decides to sell.

I like the idea. 

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderator+
3 hours ago, Katjo said:

We never use our propane, we are always on shore power or solar so we are thinking about removing the tanks and modifying a box to add inside where the tanks go to use as storage. 
We would still keep it so that the tanks could go back in, but it’s really just wasted space for us. 
Has anybody removed their tanks and camp without them? 
Is there anything we should be aware of if we remove the tanks? 

I would not worry about it. Just remove the tanks and the all-thread rod and if your floor is not already covered, you will have to build a floor and depending on what you plan to carry in that area, you will have to decide if you want the floor to be solid and sealed. If that is not necessary to your needs, I would suggest using expanded wire. if your circumstances become dire enough and you find yourself in a situation where you need propane, you can just go buy a 20 pound tank at one of the exchange stations. That way you don’t have to carry it around if you don’t need it. It does sound like you haven’t needed propane in several years so the chances of a future need should the relatively slim. You can also remove the regulator for the tanks and just cap the line. This would make it easy to return to OEM status for a future owner.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

1 hour ago, Katjo said:

Oliver Service did that as a factory option in 2017, one on each aide, they don’t do that sort of stuff to new trailers coming off the production line any more, but I am sure they would do it for you for time and materials cost.

Anybody who can cut and drill fiberglass can easily install the doors. The floor should be done by a skilled aluminum welder IMHO and tacked down to the frame in a few spots to keep it from moving and damaging the hull.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ScubaRx said:

I would not worry about it. Just remove the tanks and the all-thread rod and if your floor is not already covered, you will have to build a floor for that area. Depending on what you plan to carry in that area, you will have to decide if you want the floor to be solid and sealed. If that is not necessary to your needs, I would suggest using expanded wire. if your circumstances become dire enough and you find yourself in a situation where you need propane, you can just go buy a 20 pound tank at one of the exchange stations. That way you don’t have to carry it around if you don’t need it. It does sound like you haven’t needed propane in several years so the chances of a future need should the relatively slim. You can also remove the regulator for the tanks and just cap the line. This would make it easy to return to OEM status for a future owner.

We would only use it for light odds and end items like cords, x-chocks, maybe our surge protector. 
I do think we will go this route of removing one tank. 
I appreciate the advice.

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

6 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Oliver Service did that as a factory option in 2017, one on each aide, they don’t do that sort of stuff to new trailers coming off the production line any more, but I am sure they would do it for you for time and materials cost.

Anybody who can cut and drill fiberglass can easily install the doors. The floor should be done by a skilled aluminum welder IMHO and tacked down to the frame in a few spots to keep it from moving and damaging the hull.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Great advice! Thank you

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Awesome post @Katjo - I'm particularly impressed with the side doors and the expanded metal floor inside the doghouse....  Great additional storage for lighter/non-bulky items, brilliant!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

20 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

Awesome post @Katjo - I'm particularly impressed with the side doors and the expanded metal floor inside the doghouse....  Great additional storage for lighter/non-bulky items, brilliant!

I really like that mod too! 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Kathy, how are you heating in colder weather? We used a small ceramic heater while parked in the driveway when we were learning how to use the trailer, but that left the bathroom cold, even with the door open.

• Like 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderator+

Here is a link to my project to add storage behind the propane tanks. I had to move my tanks forward somewhat to get as much room as possible. This has been made harder now with their mounting of a junction box in front of the tanks. I did this sometime in mid 2016. After seeing this post apparently there were requests made to Oliver and they asked my permission to copy what I had done. I believe this was done to a few trailers, possibly John Davies' trailer

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

42 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

Kathy, how are you heating in colder weather? We used a small ceramic heater while parked in the driveway when we were learning how to use the trailer, but that left the bathroom cold, even with the door open.

We really don’t camp in cold weather but we have been caught a few times where it got down in the low forties overnight. 
I have a Vornado heater and it works great keeping the camper and bathroom warm enough to take the chill off. 
I point the heater towards the bathroom so it gets the heat. 

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan