Vizio TV cracking

The rear of our Vizio TV is developing multiple cracks radiating out from 2 of the mounting screws in the back of the TV. I'm assuming these are stress fractures from flexion while traveling. Trailer still under warranty, ticket submitted, will see what happens. These cracks are hard to see if you're not looking for them.

PXL_20230523_202839547.jpg

PXL_20230523_202805442.jpg

PXL_20230523_202557519.jpg

PXL_20230523_202521854.jpg

PXL_20230523_202414796.jpg

• Wow 4
  • Sad 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Further info: both fractures are on the passenger side of the TV - the same side the cable bundle rests on while the TV is folded up. The cables aren't very heavy, but wondering if that's enough to accelerate the damage on that side. Now convinced the TV should be in the down position while traveling.

• Like 4

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

This still needs to be reported to Oliver, We inspected ours and found all ok!
Thank you for posting!

Edit- We did lower our tire pressure right after pick up.

IMG_8702.thumb.jpeg.d1d3e259192a105ae95c1f0ca358beb6.jpegIMG_8701.thumb.jpeg.62f0c6dd89b4aaf360b4e69db9a2aa8f.jpeg

Patriot🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Shortly after arriving home I noticed our TV in Hull 1373 was mounted at it's lowest point on the arm. When in the up position for travel this maximizes the dynamic of bumps and just any up and down movement. I decided to adjust the TV up the arm as close to the mounting base as possible to reduce the length of this "lever" and hopefully reduce the stress to the TV and the under cabinet mount. You can slide the TV up 2-3 inches and it will still hang vertically without touching the bottom of the cabinet overhead when in the viewing position. 

I don't know if this will significantly reduce the stress on the mounts but it seemed like a good effort at least. 

• Like 7

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

5 hours ago, Ray Kimsey said:

Ours did the same last fall, but we were out of warranty at the time.  

Same here, ours is the Jensen JTV24DC and now out of warranty.  I understand the factory is now installing a TV with 110v power source.

I contacted one of the jobbers that distribute them to see if they had any "DOA" returns I could have as a replacement and salvage the back, they were no help.

I have a fix, but it will have to wait until we returned from our trip. 

• I will find an old TV and salvage some flat pieces off the back cover,  that plastic on modern tv's is tough, but pliable.
  • epoxy one salvage piece to the inside of the Jensen back cover and epoxy in the broken pieces back in place,
  • epoxy another salvage piece to the outside of the back, basically making a sandwich. 
  • all the while making sure I have access to the mounting screw holes.

At least that is what I am thinking at this time.

There are some threads out there where owners have used "pool noodles" as shock absorbers, when the TV is in the up position.  We found that lowering TT tire pressure from the "Delivered 80psi" to 50-55 also helped, but by then the DAMAGE was done.  We will also leave the TV down, when towing.   

B~Out,

Back of OTT TV.jpg

• Wow 2
  • Sad 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

OTT is sending us a replacement TV under warranty. We'll travel with the TV in the down position from now on. Our last fifth wheel had a TV mounted in the viewing position without problem for years. I think the TV mount points are designed for a shear force rather than a hanging force.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yet another example of OTT Service stepping up and doing the right thing. 

Simply can't get any better than that.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I think the concern with traveling with the TV in the down position is that, while it may be less stress on the TV plastic case, it will put more stress on the fiberglass hull of the Oliver where the swinging arm bracket mounts to the hull, as the TV tries to swing side to side like a big pendulum while traveling/bouncing down the road.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Frank C said:

I think the concern with traveling with the TV in the down position is that, while it may be less stress on the TV plastic case, it will put more stress on the fiberglass hull of the Oliver where the swinging arm bracket mounts to the hull, as the TV tries to swing side to side like a big pendulum while traveling/bouncing down the road.  

Hmmmmm. Something to consider as well.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Imo, current TV is really big, and heavy.

Old school corner hung jensen,,very small, guessing 14 inch, has never been an issue. 

But then, I'm not a TV person. We've only used it a handful of times. 

I don't go camping to watch TV. Don't watch it much at him, either.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Failure cause found. I've installed a few TVs and the mounts often come with some spacers to go between the mounting plate and the TV - to account for obstructions, curvature, etc. Careful examination of our TV and mount reveals that the wings of the mounting plate itself are bent slightly upward. Look carefully at the TV back and the plate mounting screws in this picture and you can see it. 

PXL_20230531_024758869.thumb.jpg.39f8a8063ee4d56ab39f1cf68bdd1263.jpg

Tightening the screws at installation pulled the center of the TV against the center post, causing two of the mount points to pull out through the plastic TV back on the left of this photo.

Two possible solutions for the new TV: disassemble and try to flatten the mount plate, or install nylon washers or rubber spacers between the plate and the TV to stand it off away from that center post.

https://pointerclicker.com/where-to-put-spacers-on-tv-mount/#:~:text=Report Ad-,Do I Need Spacers for TV Mounts%3F,the back of the TV.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2