TUNDRA/OTT Talk...

MAX Burner

We thought it would be interesting hearing general information about TUNDRA/Oliver experiences...  Stuff like tire selection, rear air suspension bags, bed covers, performance data while OTT towing, hitch selection, etc., would be good to share.

So, here's some performance data on a recent Ollie adventure:

We drove using the tow/haul mode (which increases RPMs in our truck by approximately 2k), A/C on in "Auto", and cruise control set at 65mph.  Our starting elevation was 5,550' MSL - while ending elevation was Sea Level.  Our pack-plan used roughly 80% of our available useful load.

Our trip was 1,435 miles R/T and our mileage on the outbound leg was 13.4mpg - inbound leg dropped mileage to 12.6mpg (likely due to head-winds and elevation gain).  Our truck averages just north of 22mpg on the interstate when not towing, FYI.  We relied on the mpg readout - but also calculated total mileage manually and calculated 12.9mph (111.2 gallons regular fuel used over 1,435 miles). 

I didn't get a chance to weigh the ensemble, but will do so next time.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Had rear air bags on our 2016 Tundra and really liked them, easy to install, too. Also had Diamondback bed cover, like that better than the Toyota hard bed cover on our 2022 Tundra.

Installed Timbren rear suspension enhancement on our 2022 Tundra, they work fine with a little sag. With the Timbren system installed and if the Tundra is empty, there is air gap between the Timbren blocks and rear differential giving a smoother ride. If you have one or two hundred pounds in the bed, the Timbren blocks contact the rear differential giving a firmer ride.

Fuel economy with the 2016 SR5 5.7L 4X4 was around 12MPG towing Ollie.

2022 Tundra 2WD 3.5L Crew Cab MPG Testing:

OEM installed GeoLandar street tires on Tundra. TV tire pressures 40 PSI and Camper’s Cooper tire pressures 50 PSI. Camper's weight between 4900 to 4950 pounds with empty grey, fresh, and black water tanks. Rig weight around 11,020 pounds. Check Rig & TV/Camper weights periodically with CAT scales. Set cruise at 63MPH yielding 61MPH GPS speed. Tow haul mode used with 7th gear. Engine speed was 2150 RPM. During the test while climbing a 5% grade reduced speed to 55MPH and dropped down to 6th gear.
One way test from Crossville TN (TN plateau area) to Denver NC yielded 15.8 MPG.
Round trip from Crossville TN to Howenwald TN and back to Crossville yielded 15.5 MPG.

Found the MPG indicator in our 2022 Tundra to be a few tenths lower than actual MPG.

Using a CAT scale found actual load capacity to be over 1500 pounds, higher than the operators manual's 1400 pounds. Weighed after installing side rails, mud flaps, bed mat, Timbren load enhancement system, and Toyota hard bed cover. Toyota was conservative with the load capacity on our Tundra.

Tundra manual Load Capacity:

Tundra%20Load%20Capacity-X2.jpg

Here's Tundra/Ollie Rig CAT scale results:

2022%20Tundra%202015%20Oliver%20Weights%

• Like 3

LE2

2018 Tundra SR longbed doublecab 4wd.  ARE topper and firestone airbags.  1450 lbs payload  Average 12 mpg towing E2.  I also have a 2003 Dodge crewcab 3500 4wd SRW that I tow with at least once a year (16-17 mpg towing).  I prefer towing with the Tundra even though I have less payload.   Were I to carry more gear in the truck bed I would use the Dodge more or replace the Tundra with a 3/4 ton.

• Like 3

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

12 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

I didn't get a chance to weigh the ensemble, but will do so next time.

This is a preliminary CAT Scale weigh-out I got a week or so ago - but the configuration isn't exactly what I want for a baseline weight because I had about 30 gallons of fresh water onboard (6 gallon water heater tank full/30# LPG tanks full).  Our Tundra is a 2WD/Crew/Short bed, BakFlip Topper.  The 5920 value is Tundra weight with OTT attached, 11220 value is total rig weight...690389356_PreliminaryRigWeight.thumb.jpeg.87430c85c1bae8d14d66b6d11ce7f691.jpeg

We're planning to get an accurate baseline weight later this week and using a dedicated tongue weight scale to get a direct value...FYI

• Like 3

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

This thread will make a good informative collection of Tundra information.

After reading about catalytic convertor theft, installed a Talon's Garage Powder Coated carbon steel Cat Shield earlier this month weighing in at 38.6 pounds. Used a Craftsman ATV jack to position the Shield making it easy to install the tamper proof bolts. Will weigh the Tundra/Ollie Rig again to keep up to date rig weights.

2023042917111986-4631730262278766949-L.j

2023042917113822--810068992941116016-L.j

2023042917125347-2250062234378565226-L.j

• Like 3

LE2

I installed the Talon's Garage cat shield (aluminum) as well.  Easy install, quick shipping, quality product.  I'm somewhat concerned about the ventilation but so far so good.

• Like 3

Tom & Doreen • 2023 Elite ll • Hull #1321 • 2023 Tundra Platinum Crew Max • Cheshire CT 

States1.jpg

3 hours ago, Tom and Doreen said:

I installed the Talon's Garage cat shield (aluminum) as well.  Easy install, quick shipping, quality product.  I'm somewhat concerned about the ventilation but so far so good.

Same here! So far so good.

We attended events this year requiring parking in large remote parking lots making it easy for convertor theft. Believe someone here previously had catalytic convertor theft on their Tundra.

• Like 1

LE2

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

. Believe someone here previously had catalytic convertor theft on their Tundra.

That was @LongStride

And that was a real mess. So thankful they weren't injured in the fire.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

7 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

This is a preliminary CAT Scale weigh-out I got a week or so ago

Art:

I've been fortunate to often be further out west where there are AG scales that sit unused most of the time.  Repeated weigh checks at different scales show them to generally be within 25 pounds or so.  As a result, I have not used a CAT scale.

I note from your CAT Scale certificate that they? / you? weighed the whole truck at one time and then the OE2 Axles together.  Is it possible to individually weigh each of our axel sets (TV Front, TV Rear, LE) separately to get the three sets of numbers plus the total?

Thanks

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

7 hours ago, rideandfly said:

installed a Talon's Garage Powder Coated carbon steel Cat Shield

@rideandfly:  HA!  That's really going to torque-off some would-be thieves!!!  Good one, brother!  Love it!!!   😎 👍

• Like 1

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Geronimo John said:

Is it possible to individually weigh each of our axel sets (TV Front, TV Rear, LE) separately to get the three sets of numbers plus the total?

YES it is possible for that, John...  And that's exactly what I'll be doing next time.  I'm going to weigh in at our local gravel yard scale next week - the owner insists that its +/- 25lbs accuracy.

spacer.png

For the life of me I can't understand why Toyota won't build 1/2 ton trucks with higher payload capacities.. and why no 3/4 ton or diesel, or V8 option anymore? My 2002 Tundra might only have a 7200lb towing capacity, but it has a payload of 1975lbs and doesn't need air bags or suspension mods to sit level while towing my Oliver.. Only use it for towing within a few hours from home at the moment, but will need a new tow vehicle soon for extended traveling. I haven't owned anything but Toyota's for 30 years and it pains me to even think of buying a GM, Ford, or Ram vehicle, especially at current prices.

• Like 3

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CRM said:

For the life of me I can't understand why Toyota won't build 1/2 ton trucks with higher payload capacities.. and why no 3/4 ton or diesel, or V8 option anymore?

I agree!

When I first heard that Toyota was updating the "new" Tundra, I was all but sold.  However, all they did was do away with the V8 and power the 1/2 ton with basically the same engine that Ford has had since 2011.  And, the payload is a few hundred pounds less than Ford's.  I really don't understand the logic.  Toyota certainly blew another chance at my business.

Makes me sad and I feel a bit dumb that I can't seem to figure out why they did what they did.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Our 2003 2.4L (4 cylinder) Tacoma (passed 200,000 miles yesterday) has a payload capacity of 1475 pounds compared to the listed payload capacity of our 2022 Tundra's 1400 pounds. This little truck rides like a truck, many of the new 1/2 ton pickups including the new Tundra have a softer ride than our 2003 Tacoma. Probably put a couple hundred thousand miles on 3/4 & 1 ton trucks with firm rides at work before retirement.

Last time I weighed the 2022 Tundra's current curb weight with full tank of fuel, aftermarket & factory accessories installed the actual payload capacity came in over 1500 pounds compared to the listed 1400 pounds from Toyota. 

We have towed Ollie with the Toyota 5.7L V-8 and 3.5L twin turbo engines. I like how the 3.5L V-6 engine develops maximum torque at a lower RPM compared to the 5.7L V-8 engine. Our 3.5L powered Tundra gets better MPG towing and not towing, too.

Had to be careful when towing Ollie with our 2016 Tundra keeping TV under GVW with Ollie attached. With the 2022 Tundra it's easy (for us) to have the TV 300 to 400 pounds under GVW with how we camp. We camp light,  but understand why folks like HD pickups for towing Ollie, too.

Always wondered how SAEJ2807 standards effect new pickup capacities compared to older non SAEJ2807 vehicles.

• Like 5

LE2

1 hour ago, ChrisMI said:

Not a Tundra but the new ‘24 Tacoma really has me interested as a daily driver.  Never owned a Toyota, it might be my gateway drug…

Bought one new in 97 and passed it down to two other family members. Over 350k and still running great with no issues when it was sold. Never had to do anything other than routine maintenance, batteries, brakes and tires. Still had the original clutch in it too!

• Like 5

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

5 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

Not a Tundra but the new ‘24 Tacoma really has me interested as a daily driver.  Never owned a Toyota, it might be my gateway drug…

We're looking at the 2024 Tacoma, too.

Purchased the 2022 Tundra to tow Ollie. If we buy a new Tacoma, it will become our daily driver! Looked through the paperwork from when we purchased the 2003 Tacoma, it was less than $12,000 new and still running great. The 1st generation Tacoma had frame rust issues in areas using road chemicals, Toyota replaced frames under warranty. Our Tacoma has not been driven on treated roads and the frame is fine.

Tow other stuff with the Tundra:

2022060920441423--3123429498258384973-IM

IMG_0373-L.jpg

The Tacoma still works nicely towing when we want to take a motorcycle on Ollie camping trips on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

2023011212214803--176914044911537075-L.j

2023011212211496--233327372255770592-L.j

• Like 5

LE2

18 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Had to be careful when towing Ollie with our 2016 Tundra keeping TV under GVW with Ollie attached. With the 2022 Tundra it's easy (for us) to have the TV 300 to 400 pounds under GVW with how we camp. We camp light,  but understand why folks like HD pickups for towing Ollie, too.

We're light campers, too.  We target 200-300# less than our 1,400# cargo capacity - pretty easy to do so far.  Our Tundra is the first TV that we've needed to concern ourselves about cargo weight - just another detail to track with all the others....  But so far (only 3 months towing experience with the TUNDRA/OTT configuration), its been a dream to tow in the south central Rockies, FYI.

• Like 1

spacer.png

21 hours ago, CRM said:

For the life of me I can't understand why Toyota won't build 1/2 ton trucks with higher payload capacities.. and why no 3/4 ton or diesel, or V8 option anymore? ….

I’ll bet it has more to do with politics and competition agreements than anything. Years ago Toyota was required to use US steel and manufactures to build the beds of their trucks. Guess what part of my truck rusted out. ….The Toyota cab, frame, and power train were still in fine shape when I gave it away with close to 300K miles on it. 

• Wow 1
  • Sad 1

Tom & Doreen • 2023 Elite ll • Hull #1321 • 2023 Tundra Platinum Crew Max • Cheshire CT 

States1.jpg

Rear Air Bags:

QUESTIONS:

1. Anyone with experience using rear air bags on their Tundra or other TV - how helpful?  

2. How would installing air bags affect the ride while towing/not towing?

3. Any change in cargo capacity after installing bags?

Inquiring minds are wondering....  

Cheers!

• Like 2

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

Rear Air Bags:

QUESTIONS:

1. Anyone with experience using rear air bags on their Tundra or other TV - how helpful?  

Cheers!

1. Yes.  Installed Firestone airbags.  Eliminated jouncing when towing and squatting when carrying a large load in bed.  Run 25 lbs.

2. I keep 25 lbs in the bags at all times.  Firms up ride a little but not too bad.  You need to keep some pressure in the bags at all times so they do not get pinched and damaged (I think it is 5-10 lbs minimum) so you could tailor your ride as desired.

3. The amounts on the door plate did not change. Wink!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

I installed Firestone airbags in the coils on the Land Cruiser, as did most of the other LC owners here. Minimum is 5PSI to avoid pinching. I started at 12PSI, and ended up at 15 PSI. Increasing the tow vehicle's tire pressure from the recommended 32 PSI to 36 PSI front and 39 PSI rear helped, too.

As noted, supporting the rear of the vehicle, either with airbags or helper springs, does *not* increase the legal capacity of the vehicle.

In my case, I removed a 40 pound roof basket and 100 pound second row seat to help augment the LC's 1440 pound load capacity. But as anyone at the rally can tell you, I probably had way more junk in the back than needed, so who knows where I was in real loading. (I basically took everything from my Hiker squaredrop (square teardrop trailer) and put it in the back of the LC.)

• Like 4

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

Installed airbags on rear differentials on two vehicles and Timbren systems on two vehicles. Personally prefer air bags on the rear differential. Run 5PSI when unloaded and 20PSI towing Ollie. Did not install onboard compressor for airbags, instead installed valve stems to release pressure or pressurize each bag as license plate mount studs:

IMG_5372-M.jpg

Use our 4 cylinder Tacoma to only move Ollie around the house (builds Tacoma's confidence) , 30PSI in Tacoma's air bags, with no sag 🙂:

IMG_2180-L.jpg

• Like 4

LE2

On 5/28/2023 at 9:27 AM, MAX Burner said:

Rear Air Bags:

QUESTIONS:

Cheers!

I went with black Sumo springs. I like them, altho it stiffened my unloaded ride. Inexpensive and easy to install. Stable towing my E2, - 2017 TRD Tundra.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Hull #1238 - Legacy Elite II, TB. TV 2017 Tundra TRD.

image.png.fd5454c21b295a590a02414d92eff4f0.png