Cricket noises from the lights

We brought home our "new" 2017 Oliver Elite II this past weekend, hull #235.     After plugging in the shore power, we noticed a chirping/cricket noise when we turn on the lights.   

Not happening when running the lights on the solar.  I have a video below.   After reading some older posts, is this the inverter going out on our trailer?  

Harlan & Margie

2017 Oliver Elite II Hull#235, 2006 F250 Tow Vehicle

• Moderators

Your lights are 12v and run off the batteries, even when you are on shore power.  The inverter changes 12v from your batteries to 110v for your 110v outlets, it does not power your lights.  Solar charges your batteries and doesn’t directly run anything.

I don’t know what could be causing your issue, I’m not sure I hear it in your video.  I’m sure someone will have an idea.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

The only "noise" I hear is the "clicking" of the switches being turned on/off.

A 2017 most likely has lights that are only operated by the switches (i.e. they are not "touch" lights)  Therefore, either these lights are on or they are off with the only power control being the switch.  

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

If you are unplugged from shore power and turn on your inverter to use an outlet, does item you plug into the outlet function normally and do the "crickets" start singing then?

If not, your inverter is likely fine.  I heard nothing in your video except the flipping of the switches.  Do your "crickets" sing only momentarily, as the switch is turned on, or do they launch into a full operetta?   

Where do the "crickets" seem to live?  Behind the switches?  At the lights which were just turned on?  Somewhere in the basement?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

On 5/25/2023 at 8:40 AM, bugeyedriver said:

If you are unplugged from shore power and turn on your inverter to use an outlet, does item you plug into the outlet function normally and do the "crickets" start singing then?

If not, your inverter is likely fine.  I heard nothing in your video except the flipping of the switches.  Do your "crickets" sing only momentarily, as the switch is turned on, or do they launch into a full operetta?   

Where do the "crickets" seem to live?  Behind the switches?  At the lights which were just turned on?  Somewhere in the basement?

When unplugged from shore power (running on solar/batteries) there is no noise...absolutely quiet.  Cricket noise only when plugged in.  Will try to upload a better video.

Thanks,

Harlan

Harlan & Margie

I also have a 2017and have experienced this exact same noise off and on for years. Just last week. I contacted Progressive Dynamics and they told me that they have made upgrades to the PD4045 KA converter and I needed the upgraded part PD4045CSV which I ordered fromBOAT & RV Accessories it costs about a buck eighty 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

Rick & Jerry

2017 Elite II, 2015 F 250 Lariat 6.2 L

3 hours ago, Rpopp said:

I also have a 2017and have experienced this exact same noise off and on for years. Just last week. I contacted Progressive Dynamics and they told me that they have made upgrades to the PD4045 KA converter and I needed the upgraded part PD4045CSV which I ordered fromBOAT & RV Accessories it costs about a buck eighty 

Awesome!  Thank you!

• Like 4

Harlan & Margie

• Moderators

So, the upgrade is to the charger?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

It's sounding like PD is suggesting an upgrade of the converter section of the converter/charger:1729379302_Screenshot2023-05-30at14_53_48.thumb.png.80025ae6882fc9bc2f5a51a8a47c15ce.png

Or are we missing something?  Our Ollie is a '17 also, but isn't behaving as @Going Coastal has described...  it appears to function correctly without crickets.

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MAX Burner said:

Or are we missing something?  Our Ollie is a '17 also, but isn't behaving as @Going Coastal has described...  it appears to function correctly without crickets.

Is yours as dusty/dirty as Coastal's?  That dust and resultant heat generated due to the "blanket" it is always wearing can cause premature failure.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, MAX Burner said:

It's sounding like PD is suggesting an upgrade of the converter section of the converter/charger:1729379302_Screenshot2023-05-30at14_53_48.thumb.png.80025ae6882fc9bc2f5a51a8a47c15ce.png

I ordered this one from etrailer today...Looks like it has a switch to use lead acid or lithium batteries...not sure if the oem one has this?

Replacement Converter Section for Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power 4000 Series 45 Amp Power Center Progressive Dynamics Accessories and Parts PD4045CSV (etrailer.com)

Harlan & Margie

I received the replacement/upgraded part today and it took about 30 minutes to swap out. Turned everything back on and flipped every switch previously causing issues and it works great no noise at all

• Like 7

Rick & Jerry

2017 Elite II, 2015 F 250 Lariat 6.2 L

Thanks to everyone who replied on this post...Received new board from etrailer and as Rpopp stated...took about 30 minutes to install.  No more Crickets!  In addition, it does appear to have a switch on the board to allow lithium batteries, which the original board in my 2017 ollie does not appear to have.

IMG_20230604_051739429.jpg

• Like 3

Harlan & Margie