Upgraded Fan w/LED in HEAD...

MAX Burner

• Moderators

We've had the maxxair for a few years now, with the led light ring. Best upgrade. (Our decade old ventline was leaking.) 

We installed the maxxair with butyl tape. Trimmed the outside with marine caulk.

Love it, as you do. Love, love the light. Our handle release is more difficult than the old ventline, but we can live with that. It's a two hand operation.  

The fan is higher cfm. And very, very quiet. Highly recommend it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

5 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

How bright is the LED?  Which model did you order,

The LED is surprisingly bright - 50 to 60 watt equivalent?

I'll check the box it came in for the model number....  MAXXFAN Dome Plus w/LED - WHITE.

Cheers!

• Like 5

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators
  • Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

MAX Burner

I checked out the fan on-line and see that it comes with different height extensions. What extension did you use? Did you find the model number from the box?

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

1 hour ago, dewdev said:

What extension did you use? Did you find the model number from the box?

Here's the model number from our Amazon order receipt:

2077966881_Screenshot2023-05-30at07_42_23.thumb.png.9ef1bc6a3d49b9cd4fa01cfe828a13cf.png

The unit comes with a 6" extension sleeve.  You will need to trim the sleeve to your roof thickness.  Our OTT roof thickness at the 6" diameter vent hole is 2 1/4".  We placed the 6" sleeve inside the hole, allowed 3/4" to protrude inside for the trim piece/LED housing, and marked the exact thickness so as to determine how much needed to be trimmed.  The length of the sleeve needed was 2 7/8".  We used clear silicone around the upper sleeve circumference and roof vent hole for additional waterproofing.  Fitment was good - especially considering that the fan hole location is not flat, being slightly curved - be very careful when torquing both the upper housing screws and the decorative trim piece/LED housing screws because one could (IMO) crack the housings if over-torqued.  The housings will "bend" slightly to match the interior concave curvature of the ceiling and the exterior convex curvature of the roof.  

We washed Casablanca after the install and heavily watered the area around the new vent for several minutes - no leaks detected/dry as a bone in the head.

Hope this helps, brother!

Cheers...

PS:  1. The old Ventline unit is spoken for by another member and will be shipped today.

2. This model MAXXAIR has the conveniently accessible inline fuse that @SeaDawg mentioned above, FYI.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the great DIY write-up Max Burner, this will help immensely! We will be doing the same procedure with the Maxxfan LED model, after our Ventline sucked the flimsy foam gasket into the fan blades. The plastic film backing on that gasket had lost its adhesion, wrapped around the fan spindle, and bound up the motor. Just the excuse I needed to do this upgrade!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2022 Ford F150 3.5L PowerBoost / 2021 LEII #804 “Stargazer”

F26165CF-2FCB-4C72-B2FF-7FB06336D485.png

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, HikingDog said:

after our Ventline sucked the flimsy foam gasket into the fan blades. The plastic film backing on that gasket had lost its adhesion, wrapped around the fan spindle, and bound up the motor.

I'm aware of a recall/warranty repair that was authorized for certain models of the bath fan due to the very issue you are describing.  Depending on the age of your Ollie and/or age of the fan, you just might want to open a Service ticket for this issue you are having.

Bill

p.s.  it would help if you would let everyone know what year and model Ollie you own.

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

The upgrade maxxair dome fan, with the light ring, is still one of our simplest and best upgrades. Quiet, strong, and light overhead.

Especially since the wall light is now flukey. I'm looking forward to finding some kind of similar overhead light, maybe around our fantastic vent fan, for the main cabin. My friend (Casita) installed installed an aftermarket thing on her fantastic fan. It has "dots" of lights, so light, but annoying to me.

I'll wait.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Bill, thanks for that info about the possible recall/warranty. I wanted to switch to the Maxxfan Dome w/LED even before the gasket malfunction, hoping 1) the fan would be quieter than the Ventline, and because of 2) the locking handle, 3) the easily removed screen for cleaning up there 4) the easy to get to quick-blow fuse, 5) that cool LED light and 6) to test my roof sealing and caulking abilities for the first time ever... gulp!

• Like 2

2022 Ford F150 3.5L PowerBoost / 2021 LEII #804 “Stargazer”

F26165CF-2FCB-4C72-B2FF-7FB06336D485.png

• 1 month later...

For anyone who has replaced the original Maxxair model 3812 bath fan, are the screw holes in the same location on the exterior and interior?  Since I have to replace my fan, I'd consider doing the LED upgrade, but I'm not really motivated enough to drill new holes.

2016 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Max Tow | 2022 Oliver Elite II - Hull#1034 'Hullabaloo' 

• Moderators

@Steve and Cindy, I suspect they are the same. It's just a light ring, added to the base model.  This is one of our best easy upgrades, ever. (The installation manual is the same for both models.)

We used modern synthetic butyl tape to bed ours, on the outside. I'd highly recommend that, vs. caulk. 

Having the overhead light in the bath, so bright, but not glaring, is a gamechanger. (Especially since our small light on the wall isn't working anymore. I need to replace that. )

Screenshot_20230801_110749_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230801_110733_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

13 hours ago, Steve and Cindy said:

For anyone who has replaced the original Maxxair model 3812 bath fan, are the screw holes in the same location on the exterior and interior?  Since I have to replace my fan, I'd consider doing the LED upgrade, but I'm not really motivated enough to drill new holes.

We replace our Ventline bath fan with the Maxxair/LED model as described above.  Expecting that the holes weren't going to line up (because of the two different manufacturers) either with the exterior assembly or the interior trim piece, we prepared ourselves to fill the existing holes and make new ones in the gelcoat to make this install happen.  It wasn't a big deal drilling into the gelcoat and fiberglass material beneath - we applied blue painter's tape, marked/spring-punched the hole locations, and used the proper bit to drill them.  

FYI:  We definitely used modern gray-colored butyl tape between the exterior pieces and the hull, just as @SeaDawgdescribes.

It's a very straight forward mod and gives you a nice additional LED in the head which D really loves a lot...  HWHL!

444108353_Screenshot2023-08-01at08_14_11.thumb.png.9b8f4003c3927ce421da673917c2e8ab.png

Above pic with vent closed/light on.

1008154474_Screenshot2023-08-01at08_13_58.thumb.png.4a251d3079742b3ea86943585737c207.png

...vent open/light on.

249410049_Screenshot2023-08-01at08_14_38.thumb.png.30f5414f7093987e4aa1bae8f79507ca.png

Exterior view of the vent and vent guard.

@Steve and Cindy: If you've got any specific questions, you can PM us anytime and we'll try to answer any questions you may have.  In any case, good luck with your mod!

Best regards,

A & D 

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

spacer.png

• Moderators

Thanks for the photo, @MAX Burner. My memory failed me on that one. 🙂 I'll edit my post. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

3 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Thanks for the photo, @MAX Burner. My memory failed me on that one. 🙂 I'll edit my post. 

HA!  No worries!  Just hope it helps them out - there's quite some hesitation by many to drill into the fiberglass and gelcoat.  Totally get that - but with correct procedures and thoughtfulness, it's usually a DIY procedure, IMO...

• Like 1

spacer.png

I ended up ordering the exact same replacement part without the light, so hoping it will be very straightforward.  I did do some gelcoat drilling for the infamous toilet flange repair, but I guess that's a story for another thread.  Thanks for the tips!

• Like 1

2016 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Max Tow | 2022 Oliver Elite II - Hull#1034 'Hullabaloo' 

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

I got my new fan installed today.

Congrats!  How do y'all like the LED in there?  Got some pix of your new mod?  Just curious, Mike...  Cheers!

spacer.png

• Moderators

I think you'll love that overhead light and the quiet operation, @Mike and Carol.  We've sure enjoyed it these past years.

I hope by the time we need to replace our FanTastic 14 x 14 fan that one of the majors will be building one with a similar light. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

27 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I hope by the time we need to replace our FanTastic 14 x 14 fan that one of the majors will be building one with a similar light. 

Funny you should mention that, Sherry...  We found an LED attachment years ago for the FanTastic Fan for our AS.  It was a perimeter style compatible with the standard 14"x14" ceiling penetration.  We called it our "Disco Light"!  HA!

FYI: it was very similar to this one:

image.thumb.png.e267e98f02486f5bdc000ebe7d8804e9.png

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

• Moderators

@MAX Burner, one of my friends installed that I'm her Casita. It definitely helps with the lighting, but she doesn't care for the lens and little lights. She finds it distracting. (I agree with her.)

I think your "disco light" label is quite appropriate. 🤣

in contrast, the nice, evenly lit ring on the maxxDome is lovely. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4