Propane Tank Levels

dewdev

I want to be able to see how much propane I have in my 30 lb tanks (instead of guessing) and am looking at either buying an in-line gauge for each tank line or purchasing the BMPRO LP Tank Smartsense Sensors like OTT installs.

For those that have either system, I would like to hear your comments/recommendations for each.

Thanks

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Like 5

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

I also use the Mopeaka tank sensors and opted for the remote monitoring panel so we can look at them without always going to the app. We use the wall mounted display more than we do the app now.

image.thumb.jpeg.c1102fb751e1afc8ac9d7302035e2625.jpeg

• Like 3

We use the Mopeka sensors as well. Only takes about 15 minutes to install and connect to the app on your phone. I also received and installed the wall mounted gauge and it seems to work just fine. I haven't run my tanks empty yet so I can't comment on the accuracy of the sensors but the reviews on line indicate they are very accurate. 

• Like 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

• Moderators

We eschew the auto changeover. Switch when one is empty

Fill the empty. wWe run a hand over the tanks, to feel the difference in temp.

Modern gadgets probably work better.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We had the OTT BMPRO tank sensors, had them replaced multiple times, they were accurate when they worked but the battery clip inside the sending units weren't soldered on well and kept failing resulting in the sensors not working. OTT was wonderful about sending out new replacement units but after 2-3 attempts I finally sent them all back and got a full refund. Now we just let the tank run out and switch over to the full tank as needed (old school way of monitoring). IMO the sensors are a great idea that don't work. We found a 30# tank to last about 2-3 days in the dead of winter using the heat all the time, otherwise a 30# tank will last several weeks if just being used for hot water and cooking. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

Thanks all for your input.

I think I will not buy either and stay with the old school system as Seadawg and AlbertNTerri indicated..

• Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Fill the empty. wWe run a hand over the tanks, to feel the difference in temp.

This works for us too.

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

This works for us too.

"Old School" isn't necessarily a bad thing - it works for me too.

Not too sure about the school part - but - I'm certainly old!😁

• Like 1
  • Care 1
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

11 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Modern gadgets probably work better.

Blue Tooth, brother!  Blue Tooth!!!  HA!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

13 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I expect this works fine if you only camp in warm weather. 

We sometimes camp in cold weather, and depend on the propane furnace to keep the trailer warm overnight.  I prefer to know before retiring to bed that we have sufficient propane in the current tank to run the furnace all night.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

We sometimes camp in cold weather, and depend on the propane furnace to keep the trailer warm overnight.  I prefer to know before retiring to bed that we have sufficient propane in the current tank to run the furnace all night.

Yes, not using the auto-change over feature does have its negative side(s).

That first propane bottle always seems to know when to be empty - when it is raining, when it is 3am, when you are right in the middle of cooking that expensive steak for friends, when its cold, etc..

However, the biggest problem is when you do not remember to get that first tank refilled prior to running out of propane in the second tank.😉

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

51 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

the biggest problem is when you do not remember to get that first tank refilled prior to running out of propane in the second tank.

Guys... don't do the following:

...everyone in the Ollie's asleep, dark-out, freezing cold, blowing rain & wind:  MAX wakes up, sez to D, "Hey, baby - I'm thinking Magnus needs to pee - how about switching over the tanks while you're out there, eh?"  

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

I also do the manual switch over. If I’m really wondering how full the tank is, during my pre camp loading/checks I will weight the tanks with a fish/luggage scale.  If it goes out during the night, l have an extra blanket at my feet.

• Like 2

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648