Backup Camera Location

I have a Voyager back up camera and monitor that I use with my truck camper.   The Ollie we are buying doesn’t have that option, and I’d like to have one.  Cameras are available for the system, and I am thinking about placing one on the rear cargo box, with the ability to move it to the spare tire cover.  Power would be from the running light circuit.

Has anyone located their camera there?  Thoughts?

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Has anyone located their camera there?

Yes - my first rear camera was/is located in the spare tire cover.  There are a couple of issues - mounting and rainy weather.

Mounting - the spare tire cover is not perpendicular to the ground.  Actually it is off by 6 degrees.  So if you mount the camera without making any adjustments to account for this, the camera will be pointing too far down towards the road.  If you compensate for the entire 6 degrees you will probably find that the camera is now pointing too high.

I made a "puck" out of a material called Delran (similar to nylon) that is easy to work with and cut it at a 4 degree angle.  Thus when mounted on the tire cover you obtain a net 2 degree downward view which is about perfect.

The second issue is rain.  With the camera mounted in this relatively low position (versus the "normal" roof mount), the camera gets more road spray in wet weather.  However, when it is not raining the I prefer this lower view for backing into campsites.

A third issue with the lower mounting position is in heavy traffic you can not see as far behind you because the guy on your bumper blocks most if not all of the view.

Given the above - I now have two rear cameras.

P1010271.JPG

P1010272.JPG

2015-12-30 14.53.26.jpg

P1010274.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Up as high as possible is best!

IMG_3567.thumb.jpeg.2b3887c13bf507bc30d4e7bbbbec53b9.jpeg

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/1973-how-to-install-a-garmin-bc-30-backup-camera/

You want to be able to view any cargo hanging off the back, as well as down the road.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

The camera my system uses is adjustable up and down, it’s similar to this.

I didn't use this type of camera mount because the camera is within reach of passersby.  That means that anyone can tamper with it and/or can get "snagged" on it with clothing and/or other things.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I mounted my Ford backup camera on the spare tire cover.  It is integrated into the Ford surround truck camera system. It works well in that location, though if I were to carry bikes it wouldn't be so great.  Its probably better up higher, but I didn't want to drill into the trailer to mount it and it was easy to run the Ford cable under the trailer and up to the top of the spare tire cover and keep it concealed.  I couldn't do that for a higher mount, at least not within my limited ability.  On the spare tire cover, the view is great, you just have to keep it clean, as it picks up more dust than a higher mount.  It's easy to reach to just wipe off the camera lens.

• Like 4

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II.  2021 Ford F250 Diesel

3 hours ago, Southbird401 said:

I mounted my Ford backup camera on the spare tire cover.  It is integrated into the Ford surround truck camera system. It works well in that location, though if I were to carry bikes it wouldn't be so great.  Its probably better up higher, but I didn't want to drill into the trailer to mount it and it was easy to run the Ford cable under the trailer and up to the top of the spare tire cover and keep it concealed.  I couldn't do that for a higher mount, at least not within my limited ability.  On the spare tire cover, the view is great, you just have to keep it clean, as it picks up more dust than a higher mount.  It's easy to reach to just wipe off the camera lens.

I did the same with my factory Ford camera this past weekend. I really don't plan on using the camera while traveling, just when backing into a camp site. Before backing in I will always park the rig on the road at the site and walk the site down before backing it. When I do this I'll make it my routine to wipe off the camera to prepare for backing in. The Ford camera has a very wide angle view so it allows you to see directly behind the trailer as well as several feet on each side of the trailer. That combined with the side mirror cameras you have a complete view when backing into the site. 

• Like 4

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

We use our Oliver back up camera and large TV mirrors mainly to monitor traffic and lane clearance behind our Ollie when traveling. It also allows me to keep an eye on our bicycles on the 1 Up rack. I have noticed most vehicles don’t tailgate us as they think they are on video.
It seems to keep most of the tailgaters at bay in my experience. I don’t think I have ever actually used it to back into a campsite. All said, I am spoiled, I cannot imagine not having the Oliver installed high mounted back up camera while traveling. 

Patriot🇺🇸

The factory mounted all seeing  👁️

IMG_8838.thumb.jpeg.5a51f24b2a7821ae3db89b9897fd843d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

20 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Up as high as possible is best!

JD:  I like your tree guard!  I have had my RVC antenna whacked more than once.

GJ

image.png.fde76fdd373ad8fb538473cde49aef41.png

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg