Camping in Florida

HDRider

I never thought about people speculating and reselling camp sites.  People sure are resourceful.

Do other states have laws like this?  I guess I can see giving state residents first shot at camp sites if the state subsidies the cost and keeps them below true market value.

Floridians can expect to get a jump on everyone else reserving time in state parks now that HB 109 has been signed into law.

The law came about because of complaints that third parties took up reservations once the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) opened up those times. It passed both chambers of the Legislature without a dissenting vote.

The system presently allows for making reservations 11 months in advance. The legislation directs DEP’s Division of Recreation and Parks to open up reservations for Florida residents 11 months in advance and, for nonresidents, 10 months in advance.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/611771-floridians-get-first-choice-as-governor-signs-state-park-reservation-bill/

• Like 4

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

We don’t have that law here in Michigan but there has been talk about it. It’s often very difficult to get a campsite at our State Parks, especially for weekends and holidays, so many campers and not enough campsites. 

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

59 minutes ago, Katjo said:

It’s often very difficult to get a campsite at our State Parks, especially for weekends and holidays, so many campers and not enough campsites

It's likely the same as Ohio, but what's happening here is that people reserve the full two weeks before the date they actually want, then cancel at the last minute without penalty. So those of us who want to camp midweek only see full campgrounds on reserveohio.com

• Sad 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators

The rumor is that this same tactic was employed in reserving sites for next year's Oliver Owner's Rally.  

Very disappointing if the rumor is true.😒

Bill

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
4 hours ago, topgun2 said:

The rumor is that this same tactic was employed in reserving sites for next year's Oliver Owner's Rally.  

Yep.  The site we were in was reserved before the cutoff.   We normally just reserve after we arrive at the rally.  Not this year.  Mike

• Sad 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

47 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

It's likely the same as Ohio, but what's happening here is that people reserve the full two weeks before the date they actually want, then cancel at the last minute without penalty. So those of us who want to camp midweek only see full campgrounds on reserveohio.com

Same here! We ended up putting a 30amp in on some property up north my family owns so we will always have a place to camp. The state park reservation game has gotten so bad with exactly what you said, people booking two weeks before the actual weekend date they want then canceling last minute the mid week days. The sad part is there are so many empty sites during the week that sit unused. 
I only booked two state parks this season, the rest of the time we will be up north on our private land. 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Bill

I heard the same. Several said they are not going to the rally next year because of it. It’s just a lousy thing to do. I refuse to play that game and people that book the week prior to the rally date then last minute cancel the week prior to get a primo site during the rally, they aren’t the kind of people I want to be camping with anyway, so we probably won’t go to the rally or many state parks. 
I personally am not that picky about sites but what does bother me is these sites get left empty because they cancel at the last minute, this hurts the parks and people that could of camped in that site. 
The only way to stop this would be to implement a pay in full upon making reservation and implementing a no refund policy if not cancelled 7 days prior to check-in.
There are some parks here (not state parks) that do not allow cancellations but will issue a credit for future use IF the site that is cancelled is booked by someone else for the dates that were canceled. Meaning if that site remains empty that you canceled you don’t get a voucher credit. 

• Like 4

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

We see this all the time.

Empty sites. Ghosted. 

Stiffer cancellation penalties might fix it.

The thing is, we rarely camp in our home state (Florida) because it's so difficult to get a site, in season. 

As in most states, our state taxes support the parks. Along with camping fees.

I'd say better plan is charge extra for out of state users. Especially at prime sites .  I've met Canadian campers who have told me they sit up and wait for reservations to open at midnight,  months ahead. Not my deal. Not gonna do it. Too many things can happen in 10 or 11 months. But, our put of state visitor folks will make those plans, a year ahead.

• Like 6

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Interesting and thanks for sharing. Boy, there will be even less of a chance now of getting a site at the parks in the Keys, especially, if not a Florida resident. Texans do not get a jump on others reserving sites at Texas state parks and Florida's stance on this is understandable...not great if you don't live there, but understandable. We also see many reserved sites that are empty. In Texas, there is incentive to not wait until the last minute to cancel with the amount of refund you receive being less if within a week of the reserved date so it's always worth it to me to cancel promptly if something happens and we can no longer use a day or days we have reserved. Plus, I'd do it anyway because I'd want someone else to be able to use the site if we cannot.

Reserving a longer period than needed to get access to dates not yet open is nothing new. And people don't always wait long to cancel the unwanted days. In Texas state parks, for example, if you make a reservation that extends beyond the standard 5-month reservation window, you have to wait 18 days to cancel or make a change to the reservation. So, the 18 day mark is a good one to remember if trying to get a site someplace that booked up on the day the reservation window opened or shortly thereafter.

• Like 5

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILKYLAMSMONMOKTNTXUT99FFFFsm.jpg

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, HDRider said:

I am getting nervous about finding spots as we roam around.  

Don't be nervous.  Given the size of the Oliver, there are numerous places that one can camp.  Yes, if you plan to be in and around popular places at the height of the "busy" season, you will want to make arrangements well ahead of time.  But, for all "normal" camping there are still plenty of places to kick back and relax.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We spent a month from NM to Key West several years ago.  Making reservations before departure were what we consider the basic plan from which many deviations were made.  Specifically, we found an RV park on Grassy Key which we planned to stay 2 nites - it was so nice those 2 nites turned into 4, and the plan pushed back from there.  It always seems to work out.  Enjoy your roaming!

Cheers...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderator+
8 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Next year is supposed to be our first rally. When should we attempt to book a site? Where? What dates? Hate to miss it. 

Last week. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 6/1/2023 at 5:56 PM, SeaDawg said:

We see this all the time.

Empty sites. Ghosted. 

Stiffer cancellation penalties might fix it.

The thing is, we rarely camp in our home state (Florida) because it's so difficult to get a site, in season. 

Spent last weekend at a supposedly sold out Anastasia State Park in St Augustine where at least 30% of the spots were empty.

Maybe charging double for people who cancel less than a week out or just don't show at all would help?

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

26 minutes ago, CRM said:

Spent last weekend at a supposedly sold out Anastasia State Park in St Augustine where at least 30% of the spots were empty.

Maybe charging double for people who cancel less than a week out or just don't show at all would help?

Same thing was rampant across AZ State Parks this past Winter (talking to Camp Hosts).  Too bad they don't create a "Wall of Shame" for repeat offenders.  Title on wall should read, "Are you a Camp-hole?"

• Like 6

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

10 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Well, we were able to find a site at Lake Guntersville next May 15-19. Hope that's right...

Be sure to be there plenty early on the 15th if the schedule is like it was this year. Activities started at 4 PM on Wednesday. We're reserved for May 14-20.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

11 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:
25 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Well, we were able to find a site at Lake Guntersville next May 15-19. Hope that's right...

Be sure to be there plenty early on the 15th if the schedule is like it was this year.

Coming over from Disney with an overnight on the way. Planning to arrive around 2:00 on Wednesday.

• Like 5

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Planning to arrive around 2:00 on Wednesday.

Arriving at 2pm on Wednesday will tend to make you a bit rushed.  You will have to check-in, get to your site, set-up, then get over to registration and then get up to the Lodge.  Of course all this assumes that you want to be at the cash bar that usually opens at about 4pm as Steve Morris points out above.

If something were to happen (i.e. you are delayed) you can always register late (even on Thursday) but, you will still want to make it for dinner that usually starts at 5 to 5:30.  And, certainly you will want to be there for the door prizes that usually start right after dinner.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Arriving at 2pm on Wednesday will tend to make you a bit rushed.

It takes a lot to make me late for dinner. 🙂 We're doing a big loop that includes visiting relatives, a stop at Disney (we go every 5 years since our honeymoon), the rally, and home for Memorial Day with friends. Lots of pieces to this puzzle, but I'm the guy who rented tour buses last-minute to get my students to Nashville for a video convention the day after a storm cancelled our flight. 18 hours overnight with teenagers on a bus - including a bus switch in a rest area at 1:00 AM. We missed the the early-bird contest and opening ceremonies, but got there before dinner!

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators
On 6/5/2023 at 1:16 PM, jdmmtx said:

. Texans do not get a jump on others reserving sites at Texas state parks and Florida's stance on this is understandable...not great if you don't live there, but understandable

You have many more state campsites, I think, in Texas, than Florida.  Where I live, pretty much straight south on i75 and i95, coastal,  is Canadian and northern visitor heaven.

Don't get me wrong.  We love our seasonal visitors. But, it does stink that we also can't get weekend reservations with kids to introduce them to camping. 

The times we've camped in popular state parks have been few. Booked ahead, or midweek. 

For us, not a tragedy, as winter is also  sailing season. We don't care so much.

But for our daughter, trying to get the little guy out camping on a free weekend is difficult to impossible, without traveling to the hinterlands.  

There are always places. Just not an hour's drive away. That's important for young families,  with limited time.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 6/7/2023 at 7:11 PM, SeaDawg said:

You have many more state campsites, I think, in Texas, than Florida.  Where I live, pretty much straight south on i75 and i95, coastal,  is Canadian and northern visitor heaven.

Don't get me wrong.  We love our seasonal visitors. But, it does stink that we also can't get weekend reservations with kids to introduce them to camping. 

The times we've camped in popular state parks have been few. Booked ahead, or midweek. 

For us, not a tragedy, as winter is also  sailing season. We don't care so much.

But for our daughter, trying to get the little guy out camping on a free weekend is difficult to impossible, without traveling to the hinterlands.  

There are always places. Just not an hour's drive away. That's important for young families,  with limited time.

I don't know about actual campsites but Texas has about half the number of state parks as Florida. I don't disagree with you, which is why I said I understand why this passed. Maybe other states will follow suit! 🙂 I know it's frustrating for people to not be able to get a spot reasonably close to home for the weekend. One of our kids lives near Grayton and Topsail State Parks and it can be tricky to get a spot when we go visit...we really have to plan ahead.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILKYLAMSMONMOKTNTXUT99FFFFsm.jpg