While cleaning a composting bathroom...

I'm doing Spring cleaning. I've removed the composting toilet and I'm looking at the hole in the hull which is above the port for my (unused) black tank and which would normally be under the composting toilet. There's really no gasket around the bottom of the composting toilet and thus I would expect that water from the shower must get under the toilet, drop down onto the black tank, and thus there must be a drain under there somewhere, yes? Looking at the manuals, it *kinda* looks like that is the case.

To be honest the reason why I'm asking is I would like to be able to do all of the cleaning and then rinse down the bathroom and not have to worry that any water which dropped down over the black tank would then be trapped in the hull.

Thx y'all.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

I'm also going to pull @John E Davies into this thread since he has an old thread about doing the install himself, is extremely thorough, and I'm sure he considered the consequences of getting water in this portal to the black water tank.

John, I hope that's ok. I tried to flatter you a little to smooth it over if not. ;)

Your outer hull should have multiple small metal scupper drains on the underside (see photo) at each lower corner of the hull.  These will allow water from leaks or condensation to drain, but it’s better to avoid any water getting in between the hulls in the first place.  A seal under the compost toilet would be a good idea.

IMG_2544.jpeg

• Like 1

I didn't realize that's what those were! I did find a little drain -- I guess that's the other side of the  "scupper" you mention -- under the North dinette seat but that whole area doesn't really look like its designed to be handle any sort of *real* moisture. To your point. Sort of a surprising design honestly.

I guess I'll check to see if the hardware store has some sort of plug that might fight in that hole without making it really hard to remount the composter.

Thx!

• Moderators

A 2" knockout test plug might also work. Idk

We have standard toilet. Don't know what the depth I'd beneath the nature's head. 

If in doubt, there's always duct tape, which we all have

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.