Gas Mileage with the Oliver?

routlaw

Hello Oliver owners,

My wife and I have been seriously considering the new Oliver Elite II which in so many ways seems to be in a class of its own. However as you know they are not exactly what one would call a Micro-Lite trailer either. This had me wondering what sort of gas mileage you all were getting during tow especially with the Elite II. By all means if you have the original 17 footer thats good info as well.

For those that do respond, it would also be helpful to know your tow vehicle and the speed you're cruising at on average. It seems some folks plod along at 55 mph while others aren't satisfied if they aren't going 75. Obviously this makes a big difference with gas mileage.

Thanks

Rob

ps, we have a F150 Eco-Boost.

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderator+

We're getting about 14 mpg with the new tow vehicle. Our former TV was a 2007 Tahoe 4WD 5.3L, it was getting a little over 11mpg. Our tow speeds are usually between 60 and 65 mph. I don't particularly care for Interstates unless we want to get somewhere fast.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Steve

It's odd that you would get better gas mileage with the bigger engine Sierra then with the Tahoe. Of course it's 7 years newer with newer technology. My POS 97 F150 is lucky to get 14 empty and with a pop up camper with no trailer could only get 10 mph.

I'm still trying to decide for a replacement for either the F150 or the CRV. Tend to want to get a SUV of some sort to also use as a daily driver.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Stan, technology has come a long way in recent years with large vehicles especially. Last April we bought an F150 Eco Boost truck that replaced our Tundra Double Cab with a 4.7 L V8. Suffice it to say the Tundra was a gutless wonder when it came to towing with subsequent gas mileage to match. By comparison last month my wife and I took a 1 week trip to the Flathead Valley in NW MT, then down to the Tetons for another week. We racked up just less than 2000 miles total for the trip averaging 15.5 MPG all intermountain driving, often with rain and wind. And with two 14 ft kayaks mounted onto a Thule side rail rack system for the truck. IOW's those kayaks were a wind drag. We had our bikes mounted to the truck bed as previously described in another post. Our last tank of gas heading home gave us about 16.5 MPG. Granted this was towing a T@b, not the much heavier Oliver but make no mistake we never ever came this close to this sort of gas mileage with the Tundra. To put icing on the cake the F150 EB tows effortlessly compared to the older V8 Tundra, the difference is on an order of magnitude.

Our son in law bought the Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi about half a year ago and his gas mileage is rivaling ours if not better in some circumstances. Dodge has really done some extreme forward thinking and engineering on these trucks and their new tiny diesel as you've heard about takes it up another notch still. I doubt we have seen the end of this either.

Steve

It's odd that you would get better gas mileage with the bigger engine Sierra then with the Tahoe. Of course it's 7 years newer with newer technology. My POS 97 F150 is lucky to get 14 empty and with a pop up camper with no trailer could only get 10 mph.

I'm still trying to decide for a replacement for either the F150 or the CRV. Tend to want to get a SUV of some sort to also use as a daily driver.

Stan

Legacy Elite II #70

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator+

The biggest difference is that at sixty five mph the Tahoe was turning about 3000 rpm. With the Sierra, it's about 1750 rpm. So it's not too much greater than idle speed. Plus the Sierra has a 3.73 rear end that's only available in the Max Tow Pkg (NHT).

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg