Replacing lights with LED

upbings

Hi, not sure this is the right forum....but since we just got our solar panels, we want to switch at least some of our lights to LED...I took a look at one of them and am not sure where you would find replacements? I have only looked at Walmart so far but if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great! :D

Karen

• Moderators

Hi Karen,

A few months after bringing The Wonder Egg home in 2008, I purchased LED replacements from www.ledwholesalers.com

It is important to get the right connection for your replacements. The tiny halogen bulbs on my trailer were the two pin system, called a G4 base. Instead of going for the brightest ones I could find, I selected a subdued LEDs for the inside lights ( to prevent too stark of a lighting situation with the pure white interior already ) for the exterior porch light, I went for the brightest possible. Here is a good place to start. I did not change out my swivel reading light then because the LEDs at that time would flicker if turned down very much.

http://shop.ledwholesalers.com/index.ph ... path=43_47

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Pete's LED's are a good choice for the Oliver. Putting the brightest in the kitchen is the way we went. Later when converting a fifth wheel to LED's we found a source that mailed to us from Shanghai. They were a lot cheaper, but their color and intensity varied a lot. We had to mix and match them by room and use to get a good look and useful lighting situation.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Pete, would you let me know if this is the bulbs you bought?

http://shop.ledwholesalers.com/index.ph ... product_id

It's called a mini bulb

Hoping that shows up as a link. And is it difficult to take out the existing bulbs? I looked at the different ones on the link you shared and the very little one is the only one I figured would work....? Sorry if I sound stupid about this stuff....it is all out of my realm of knowledge. Ha ha

Thanks again. I appreciate all the help I'm getting as a new owner of my Ollie.

Karen

• Moderators

Karen,

Your link didn't work for me, for some reason.

Six years ago, they offered an option with only seven bright spots arranged in the disk. Today, I see the fewest in the disk mode is nine bright spots. Taking the bulbs in an out was easier than I expected. Simply gently pull the old halogen bulb out sideways and the two pins slide right on out. Your new circular replacement disk should have two side mounted pins that will easily slide into the connection.

They offer two different color temperatures. I'd go for the "warm" one which would be less likely to have your interior looking like a surgical operating room. You might want to buy one or two at first to see if you like them, before replacing all. Good luck and let us know what you finally use and how you like them.

http://shop.ledwholesalers.com/index.ph ... uct_id=346

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

thanks Pete,

We are heading into the big city this week and will take one to the battery store as they carry lots of LED lights. Looking for some new batteries as well. Ha ha....so much to do, I can't imagine having a large trailer. If they don't have them there I will order them from the link you shared as I have a better idea now.

BTW, when we left Arizona in May with the new to us Oliver, we passed someone on hwy 4, between Albuquerque and Texas with an Oliver that had a smiley face tire cover...was that you?

Karen

• Moderators

The Wonder Egg was roaming around Amarillo the first weekend in May and spent a little time on I-40, west of town. If that 's not where you guys were, you probably saw the one other "Smilin' Ollie" :D I'm aware of. I think it lives in California when it's home.

• Moderators

We replaced the lights over the stove, and over the dinette, with LED long ago (maybe six years). Haven't gotten around to the rest, as those are the two we use all the time. If you can't find a lot of g4 replacements locally, or they're expensive (as they were years ago here), you might want to just try those two at first. Big impact for a few dollars.

one of these days, we'll get around to replacing the rest, as they burn out.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 8 months later...

I ordered my LED's from e-bay for $13 each you can find them by searching for "Brightest MR11 12 V 10 SMD LED White 160 Lumen Wide Ang":

Or you can get them from their website direct. http://www.pbcheap.com/led-light-flashlights

For the 10w light I added today, I bought a base for a light bulb at home depot for $3. I cut the socket portion of an extension cord off and wired it to the bulb base. I got the bulb at walmart.

And then zip tied it all to to the stock light fixture as seen in the pictures above. I put some aluminum foil under half the cover so the light doesn't shine through the top. So I'm working with about 14watts of light total. I have both sets of lights timed to be on at the same time for 10hours a day. If I start getting algae growth then I'm going to cut back the 10w for a little bit halfway through the day.....etc. I'll keep everyone updated how it works

\

• Moderator+

I ordered my LED's from e-bay for $13 each you can find them by searching for "Brightest MR11 12 V 10 SMD LED White 160 Lumen Wide Ang":

Or you can get them from their website direct.

For the 10w light I added today, I bought a base for a light bulb at home depot for $3. I cut the socket portion of an extension cord off and wired it to the bulb base. I got the bulb at walmart.

And then zip tied it all to to the stock light fixture as seen in the pictures above. I put some aluminum foil under half the cover so the light doesn't shine through the top. So I'm working with about 14watts of light total. I have both sets of lights timed to be on at the same time for 10hours a day. If I start getting algae growth then I'm going to cut back the 10w for a little bit halfway through the day.....etc. I'll keep everyone updated how it works

\

Nomanni,

Tell us again where you are using these LED's. I got confused when you mentioned algae growth.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

In the context of this forum, this person is posting advertising spam. I have inactivated the account but left this post in the event that the information contained might interest someone.

http://www.pbcheap.com – Everything LED Lighting

Everything made with LEDs. Find everything from loose leds and led drivers to finished LED fixtures, LED Light Bulbs, LED Landscape Lighting, RGB Color Changing LED Lights, etc.

pbcheap.com – Everything LED Lighting

Links to technical data, text and schematics for the beginner and the experienced LED user. These links will help you determine what to purchase, how to work with the LED products, where are some of the resources, and to provide as much in depth technical knowledge as we can to those who require more than a passing knowledge of LEDs

Luxeon LEDs, Assemblies, and AccessoriesSide Emitters

The Side Emitting LEDs directs the light beam 90 degrees off the optical axis in a 360 degree rotationally symmetrical pattern. This produces a toroid of light that is useful for lighting large opaque surface areas. Side Emitters are as is, no Batwing or Lambertian designation.

Luxeon EmittersLuxeon EMITTER is the basic building block of all Luxeon Power Light Sources. Luxeon EMITTERS give you total design freedom by allowing you to design from the ground up enabling a fully integrated lighting solution design..