Any Olivers on the West Coast? Anyone pulling with a car?

ashleymeadow

I just found the Oliver this weekend. I am selling my 2004 Winnebago Rialta, and when it is sold, I plan to get a small trailer. I looked at what was available on the internet and found the Oliver.

I have a Subaru Outback with the 225 hp boxer six cylinder engine that is rated for a maximum tow of 3000 pounds. So I would also like to know if any owners have a car that is pulling theirs.

Anyone know how long the Oliver brothers has been making these?

Thanks, Jerry

Jerry, I have an Outback with just the 4 cylinders, so I know it's not up to the task. Read an article that said an Outback pulled a 3500-lb trailer and did a great job. Will try to find it for you. My local dealer pooh-poohed the idea, so I'll have to find the resource.

CarolAnn

Thanks CarolAnn!

I had a VW Toureg three years ago, and pulled an 5000 pound Aerolite trailer. It had the same horsepower as my Subaru, but was a SUV. I had no problems with towing it. I had a heavy-duty hitch installed om the Subaru because I was planning on selling my Rialta. The dealer thought it would handle a 3000 pound trailer.

Jerry

Hi again from CarolAnn. I just spent my morning at the Subaru dealership and found out some very good news and got some advice. First, have you seen the new Forrester? It's REALLY neat. Much bigger. It tows 2400 lbs. Even better, 4-cylinder Outbacks from 2005 on tow 2700. The 6-cylinder pulls 3000. Pre-2005 4-cylinder Outbacks pull 2000 and the 6-cylinder 2400.

I was thrilled to hear these numbers. The guy I was speaking with mentioned http://www.cars101.com which is a site put up by a passionate sales guy in the NW. It has specs on every Subaru model. He advises to go there. He also said adding a transmission cooler would allow for heavier weights. For example, the Tribeca w/o cooler pulls 2000 but w/ a cooler pulls 3500. Big difference. He also reminded me that dealers put a conservative number for obvious safety reasons.

Another great piece of advice was to call dealers in the areas where you plan to take your more challenging drives. For example, I want to be able to pull with some ease up the lllloooonnnnggg grade from Salt Lake City to Park City or cross over the Rockies, say through the Eisenhower tunnel. If I can do those, then I can do whatever is needed. Not into rugged Jeep climbs. So I should contact dealers in Salt Lake or Denver for input. Hope this info helps. I'll keep digging, but I'm smiling right now! CarolAnn

A footnote to my trip to the Subie dealer: While I was there a guy traded his stunning 1999 Prowler w/ 6k miles for an Outback. The graphics he had on the back were awesome. He had mailed the trunk lid to some artiste in San Diego who had these amazing cougars prowling the purplish-blue mountain terrain.

Wonder if you can tow with a Prowler??? It would rival Pete's bugeye for attention!

CarolAnn

Hi CarolAnn,

I have the L L Bean Outback with the H6 engine, so I too was aware of the 3,000 pound limit. I know that is a safe figure, but if I blow a transmission, the warantee may not cover the loss.

I would like to see an Oliver, but I don't want to travel to Tennessee just to take a look. I am in Washington, and I don't think there are any out this way.

Jerry

Carol Ann --

I imagine that the Oliver will be tough for a Subaru to tow. Probably doable, but it will be a lot of load on the engine for full time traveling.

If you are interested in something lighter (and cheaper), you might want to look into a Tab. That will be a better match for a Subaru, I think. Probably over 1000lbs less weight to pull around.

The Oliver is an amazing trailer, and I can't wait for ours to be finished. But I am still a Tab fan too. They are both great designs.

Check out the link in my signature to read more about our Tab, and to see some pictures.

- Chris

• 5 weeks later...

Jerry,

Jim and I are going to be in Washington for nearly a month. We leave Reno August 11th, and we will be in Seattle and Spokane. We would love to meet with you and everyone else up that way that is interested in seeing an "Oliver". We will have both floor models with us. It will be posted on the forum and webpage exactly where we will be, or you are able to contact Denise at extension 125 at the Office, as she know daily where we are.

Northwoods,

Techno Chris, you're a big fan of the T@B, but what did you do about a loo? Girl's gotta have her bathroom!!! Well, this girl, anyway. The T@DA has bathroom facilities, but I don't believe you can hook it into a sewer line. The thought of toting my 5-gallon jug around every day or two is not appealing. If they can figure out a hookup, well, I'd consider either. But... I'm still hoping for an Oliver, but it's great to have backup plans.

As far as towing with the 6-cylinder Subie, the dealer said to get a transmission cooler installed to protect the transmission.

CarolAnn

Well... this girl did just fine without a bathroom for 7 months. :) Or an AC or refrigerator. How we got by? There was a small portapotti for emergencies which came in quite handy - but I adapted to using vault toilets, trees, rest stops and visiting friends of homes. And we'd treat ourselves to campgrounds with showers on occasion. And we also carried a solar shower bag for rugged rinses.

Another trick? I don't shampoo my hair. Haven't shampoo'd it since last October actually. Just a bit of baking soda and an apple cider rinse every week or so. Really reduces down on the bathroom needs AND super great for my hair (my hair has *never* been healthier).

My biggest problem with the Tada floor plan .. well, there were several. One is the ceiling height - they kept it at 5'9" (and Chris is 5'11'.. workable in the Tab where there was no where to walk). Also, the bed is permanent (doesn't convert to a dinette), meaning our seating capacity in the Tab of 4 would be reduced to 2.

For the original poster, we're heading to the west coast this week, and should be on that side of the continent for a couple of months. So, if other Oliver viewings don't manifest, we should be able to arrange viewings as well.

- Cherie

Cherie, you are the woman I've aspired to be but have never come close to becoming! Not wash my hair every day, whether it needs it or not? A shower that's not guaranteed to be the "perfect" temperature--every morning and sometimes more often. I have looked in the mirror and found myself wanting. I'm off to get some baking powder--or is it baking soda--or baking... See, I have a long way to go, but I AM going to try the hair thing.

Take care, Carol