AGM Batteries

We ordered our new Ollie with the AGM Batteries. Now I am having second thoughts after reading Handy Bob's Blog and his link to Sterling power.com. Both said they were not worth the extra cost and may not last as long as the T105's. I also looked at AMSolar and they had the opposite view point.

Question...Is there anyone out there that are using the AGM's? Plus if going with the T105's is it worth the extra cost to go with 4 instead of the 2 that is standard?

Guess we should have done some more research on solar and batteries before making the decision. Reading Bob's Blog threw a whole new light on the subject. At this point we are tending to make the switch to the T105's. Would appreciate hearing from those of you with experience in solar and batteries.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderator+

I will try to answer any questions you have about solar and battery's .

Call me if you care to

Steve

662-255-0181

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Stan,

if you come to any conclusions about this, please let us know. Like you, I am also wading through all the Solar Design questions for when we order our Oliver. Handy Bob has some pretty convincing arguments for the T-105's. So far, I value his opinions more than anyone else I have read on the web. But I am by no means an expert on this subject.

Good luck in any case with your quest for the best design for you.

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

Dave

After talking to Steve, who has the AGM batteries, we decided to stay with the AGM's. I suppose if I had not ordered them yet, I may go with the T105's, but at this point we will stay with what we ordered.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

Just to add a bit of confusion to the conversation, this subject just came up over on the FGRV forums. Don't know if you guys peruse and listen in there, but one fellow Norm stated he had a set of Trojan 105's that were 14 years old and still going strong when he sold that particular RV. Not trying to muddy up the waters but thought that was an impressive result, and from a financial prospective sort of puts the wet cell 6 volts in a league of their own. For me the only thing left in the debate is whether to go with two or four.

rob

Legacy Elite II #70

The 4 T105's are a upgrade from the "standard two group 17 batteries". So what is the standard? Are they 105's also or something else. Guess that is the question you need to ask.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

You're right about this having now looked at the specs again. Not sure what is standard since that is not mentioned, but would guess a 12V Group 27 battery, or perhaps two?

Also just spent some time going over the Amsolar website and have to say they seem to do an excellent job of configuring systems with very high quality components. They also seem to apply the same knowledge and technology and often same components which Solar Bob insist on except for the AGM vs Trojan debate. The website is full of instructional and educational material regarding solar for RV's. Regardless of which way you go I have complete confidence you will get a great solar system with the Ollie.

I wonder if anyone is doing a portable solar system with the Oliver's? Might be difficult given the slide out tray mechanism for hooking up the charge controller wiring perhaps. Great idea though compared to tongue mounted batteries.

Rob

Legacy Elite II #70

Rob,

We just sent a email to Robert to change from the AGM to the 4 T105's and add the small sine inverter with 2 plugs. Carol wanted to make sure she could run her MAC laptop.

So much to learn, so little time... Wait, I'm semi retired, I should have plenty of time. ;)

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

Sounds great, I'm sure you will be happy with this decision. One of the added advantages of going with the 4 T105's is if by some bizarre chance one of them went belly up on you, you could still have a 12 V system using only two of them.

rob

Legacy Elite II #70

Adding my two cents. I just ordered my new 23.5 with four Trojans. With the right smart charger, which Oliver uses I expect over 1000 full charge cycles. I did not order the inverter and will use my Honda 2000 i for emergency charging, but I may also buy the Go Power portable 120 watt solar system for re charging. I can plug that directly into the batteries, or just use the Alligator clamps it comes with.

All this really depends on your situation. Mine is mostly in state parks with full hookup. The extra batteries are for emergencies...such as the occasional hurricane we have here in NW Florida.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

• Moderators

I just love these threads where readers get to follow along with the ongoing research. It is similar to the process when Betty and I went with the AGM's. We just didn't want to mess with the battery's and that is the way it worked out for us. Only two times in all those years did we have to look into the battery compartment. That was when voltage dropped and we needed to clean the terminal connections. Some thoughts came to me, that some might find of interest.

The same roll out battery tray will hold both the AGM's and the T-105's. The T-105's are built more square, but taller, so four will fit the tray. Two group 27's are standard, but three of them will actually fit in the tray.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• 11 months later...