Oliver Modifications

ScubaRx

• Moderator+

I think it's always fascinating to see what others have done to their trailers to personalize them. So I thought a thread for modifications might be interesting. I would propose that we could list things we've done to our own trailers or things we'd like to do. If you post about something you've already done, include pictures to show how you did it and how it turned out. If you have an idea for something you'd like to do but maybe don't know how, post it anyway, someone will probably have an opinion on how or what to do.

I'll start with a following post about modifications I made to the entertainment system.

Let's see what everybody's doing out there. Hopefully we can all share some good ideas and make our camping experiences more rewarding.

Steve

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+

When Tali and I started planning the we wanted to add XM radio to the entertainment system. We bought a small XM receiver designed to be added to a car. I asked Daniel at Oliver to mount my antenna on the roof during the construction phase (this can easily be done post delivery.)

These pictures show the XM antenna mounted on the roof:

The wire was run into the body and located near the entertainment center. Daniel added a 12 volt power port to supply the XM radio that I would install.

This is the installed XM system :

Then I decided it would be really cool to add an iPod. What I needed was a base that could be mounted on the wall (to compliment the XM radio) that would charge and play the iPod. I wanted a direct hook-up to the entertainment system thru the Aux jack. I find that relying on FM transmitters is sketchy at best. Many long internet searches did not find what I really had in mind, but I did find the Griffin Technology TuneFlex AUX.

See details at: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tuneflexaux

All that remained was to design and construct a mount for the TuneFlex. Since there was no way to surface mount the iPod Tuneflex, I decided to mount it inside the cabinet just to the left of the entertainment system. I had several pieces of the fiberglass that was cut from the windows of the Oliver trailers during construction that Robert had given me on one of my trips to Hohenwald. I made a cardboard template and then cut it from the fiberglass. I mounted a 12 volt power port to supply the iPod. This is the mount:

I then mounted it inside the cabinet and this is the finished product.

And there you have it, XM radio and iPod support. I will next mount a rotary switch that will select between the iPod--TV--XM radio. But that's a project for another day.....

Steve

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Hi Steve,

I too want XM satellite radio. I asked Robert to have Oliver install one with a roof mounted antenna. I'm not sure why he feels he can't do that, but that's the word.

He did say he could add an antenna to the roof and I could buy a portable unit to plug into the entertainment system's auxiliary jack.

Steve, do you see any problems in mounting a permanent XM 12V radio in the Oliver? Is there no room for the face plate and the electronics near the standard Jensen radio?

BTW, how do you like your back up camera? Would you opt for it again if you had it to do over?

Thanks,

Doug

• Moderator+

Doug,

There is very little room on either side of the installed Jensen radio. I guess being able to mount a radio there would depend on the size. As you can see, mine was a surface mount. I'm not clear on exactly what antenna you had in mind that Robert said could not be mounted. But, no, I don't see any reasons why it can't be done. You may end up having to do it yourself but this is not an insurmountable task. Ya just gotta have the nerve to drill the first hole. ;)

As far as the backup camera: Yes, I would still do it again. I've owned trailers (utility) for years and I've never been worth a flip at backing one up. I'm not sure the camera will improve my backing skills but at least it will let me see what I'm about to run into. :o It does, however, make for a wonderful rear view mirror.

Steve

• Like 1

Steve, do you have the Delphi SKYFi3 radio, as featured at this link?:

http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-radio-re ... elphi.html

If this is the radio you use, did you use the antenna that came with it, or did you use some other antenna? I like the idea of having a mount like yours so I could use the radio as a portable unit outside the trailer.

Do you use your XM radio outside your trailer, and if so, does it have a built in antenna for that purpose?

If this is not the radio you use, I'd appreciate your letting me know what you do have so I can order one for my trailer and have it shipped to Robert for installation in our trailer.

Thanks,

Doug

• Moderator+

Doug,

This is the exact radio that I bought. It will come with everything you need to install it as you see in my post. Tell Robert to have Daniel mount your antenna (comes with the kit) on the rear of the trailer roof like he did mine. Also have him to mount the 12 volt power port so you can plug in the included 12 volt adapter. This will give you every thing you need to have XM on board. And the price is right on the unit. I paid about $30.00.

As an after thought I might mention that you get XM radio feeds included with your Direct TV satellite service. But you can't take that into the car with you. I'd rather have this setup anyway, especially for the cost.

Steve

Steve, I just ordered the XM radio and am having it shipped directly to Robert for installation in our trailer.

Question: Does the rear view camera eliminate the need for any supplemental towing mirrors on the tow vehicle? Based on your comments, I am considering adding this to our trailer, and one big advantage could be if I could use my existing rear view mirrors and not have to add supplemental towing mirrors to my TV.

Thanks for the information.

Doug

• Moderator+

Doug,

The camera gives a very wide view of what’s behind you (you can actually see the corners of the trailer.) Come to think of it, are there corners on a curved trailer? Anyway, no extra mirrors required. I think it was money well spent, and it's a lot of fun. Incidentally, the camera has a microphone built into it. You can hear what's going on behind you. We keep it off going down the road to eliminate road noise, but it comes in real handy when the DW is behind the trailer screaming at you while you are attempting to back it into that perfect spot.

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Steve,

I have asked Robert to check out an idea I just had. I am having to move my a/c unit rearward to accommodate the solar panels and may not have enough room to mount the XM radio behind the a/c as was done on your unit, especially if i also get a rear view camera.

I think the XM antenna could be mounted on top of the a/c shroud and the lead wire from the antenna could be routed down the inside wall of the a/c shroud, through the a/c opening in the roof, and on into the cabinet where the radio is located. That would prevent another hole in the top of the Oliver and would likely provide the best XM reception.

Any comments about that idea? Think it might work?

Doug

• Moderators

DougI,

So you're getting solar too . . . great! I see you said "panels" - does that mean you'll be a 200 watter like Technomadia? ( I am sooo jealous ) One thing to consider on your XM radio is the potential of high voltage of the A/C unit messing up your radio's signal. I don't know that it would, but if the wiring is not shielded well, it could pose a problem if run near the A/C's motor. You should have plenty of room up front of the trailer with a clear view of the heavens that would enable you to run the cable away from any electrical interference.

I know you don't want another hole, but am confident that if the factory does the installation, you'll have no problems.

Just a thought . . .

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Yes, Pete, we are getting a dual 100 watt solar panel set up like Chris and Cherie and will have to use a portable satellite dish for TV reception. That is one reason I want the XM satellite radio. When we are staying just one night while in route somewhere we can use the radio and not have to set up any satellite dish.

I'm thinking the cable wire lead from the satellite antenna to the radio should be well shielded, but it's an issue worth checking into. I'll ask the place where I bought the radio and see what they say about the matter.

When you go to the Gunnison area be sure check out the One Mile Campground in Taylor Canyon, about 6 miles east of Almont. Also, nearby Spring Creek Campground is very nice, but it has no electricity or water.

• Like 1

Cool tech stuff. Don't get too excited about my post, very low tech. I was looking for a little bit of outside storage space to keep a few small items I didn't want inside. Sorry no pics, but if you look just behind the propane tanks you will notice a small but usable space. I removed the tanks, to get to this space, cut a board to lay across the trailer frame and put my tanks back. Instant small storage location. I can slip my wheel chucks and a few other small items by the tanks into this space. Just make sure you don't put really small items here, since there are a few small gaps they could slip out through.

• Like 1

That's a remarkably clever idea, DCKlefer!

We have found that one of the benefits of going with a 20/30 lb hybrid propane tank solution, is that we gained some storage space above the 20 lb tank to keep our chocks and water hose (the thought of it living in the same compartment as the drain water hose wasn't appealing.. plus we have to store our electrical cord we we omitted the reel for space for our mega-inverter.)

But putting a board down.. duh.

- Cherie