Fly Fishing and Camping Under The Blood Moon

hellsbay

Here is my recent camp in Florida, where I fished under the ‘blood moon’ for tailing redfish. During certain times of the year flood tides occur which cause the spartina flats to flood. Redfish are waiting for this to happen so that they can feast on the small crabs, hoppers and the snails that elude them during most of the year. Because of the small time window when the flats are flooded, the redfish feed aggressively, often with their tails and backs out of water. This is sight fishing and about as exciting as fly fishing gets.

The little Taco towed the Oliver with no problems. Thanks to some help and encouragement from Bugeye Driver, I was able to remaster all the systems in the Oliver and setting up camp was a breeze.

My next adventure will be heading up to the Alleghenies in W. Virginia and then down into the Appalachians for some fall photography. I hope to spend about two weeks out on the road.

The Camp

The Equipment

Redfish tailing in the spartina grass

The Reward

This is actually a restaurant where we had an amazing dinner while we watched the sun set on the spartina flat.

• Moderators

Steve,

Great to see you are out again in your Ollie! Just like gettin back on a bycicle, isn't it? Enjoy your trip . . . Looks like prime fishing. Love your photography. More pics! More pics!

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Hi Jason,

Saltwater Cowboys is located on the right just off of AIA about 3-4 miles south of Anastasia State Park. I'm sure you can Google it and get the exact address. You have to turn west from A1A and drive to the end of the street, about a block. They had the best blackened dolphin I've ever had, in any restaurant. The beer battered shrimp was excellent. This is a place where even the locals eat when they want a good restaurant.

• Moderators

Beautiful photos, and thanks for the restaurant trip.

The trees around Canindagua Lake were beautiful yesterday. We're in Virginia this morning, and autumn is in its glory.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.