The Day is Getting Close

Commanche

The day for picking up the trailer is Oct 22, actually the 23rd, after a long drive from KC. Exciting times for sure.

Was wondering how long the pre delivery inspection takes, and do they have a check list to go through. I found a pretty good check list at http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavist ... hecklists/ that just about covers everything. We need to nail down the insurance coverage next week. I checked with State Farm and their quote for $500 deductable was $620. Don't know how that compares. May check some others next week.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators

I'm sure you're getting excited about picking up the new camper.

Have you checked Good Sams insurance? We found our best deal with them. They also discount the coverage during the winter storage period if we remember to call.

A checklist would be a great idea!

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Today was to be the day we were to head out to pick up our trailer. Well, that plan went down the hopper due to circumstances beyond our control. Robert called last Friday and said when they took the trailer to be weighed they discovered their shipment of axels were 3300 instead of the required 3500, and thats what was on our trailer. Bummer. Robert did say that as soon as the right axels were available from the supplier they would send their own truck to pick them up. Hopefully it could be this week yet but maybe next week. Seem to me the supplier should know exactly when the right axels would be ready to ship. And how come they don't have some on hand? After all, they are the ones that screwed up the shipment.

I'm pretty much disappointed with the whole process from the start. When we signed the contract in July, we were given a completion date of Oct 2, but nothing was in writing on the contract. Then for some unknown reason to us, that date was pushed back, and it took repeated inquiries to get a firm pick up date. Now this. Doesn't make for a very happy camper. Just hope things go better from here on out.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

Sorry to hear that. In the grand scheme the delay will fade in your memory and you will have many years of pleasure from your Oliver. Ours is in production for a November 25 delivery. Our major concern now is how cold it will be for our shakedown cruise in TN. We are thinking of a few nights at David Crockett state park...about 50 miles from Hohenwald. Anyone have an experience with that park.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Yeah, i know what you mean about that. We are stopping at Round Spring Camp Ground near Emminence, MO which is exactly the half way point on the way home.

Davy Crockett State Park looks like a nice place, the opening picture on the web site looks really nice.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

• Moderators

We have stayed at Davy Crockett SP, but it was years ago. We've stayed in a number of TN state parks, and have enjoyed all of them. If you're picking up in cold weather, it's probably a good idea to camp with electrical hookups. I remember the showerhouses seemed a little tired at Davy Crockett and Cedars parks, but I see from their website that Davy Crockett has recently been updated.

If you don't care about hookups, Meriwether Lewis campground on the Natchez Trace is quite pretty, and really close to the factory--probably 5 miles. Can't beat the price. It's free. There is a public restroom,(no showers, no dumpstation, no electricity) but I don't know if they keep it open in the winter months. The latest we've stayed there was October, I think.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry. Great info. Since this is our get to know our Oliver trip, and it will be cold, I think we will opt for a place with electricity. We have never dry camped and my wife is not yet comfortable with the idea. I on the other had am Jonesing for a boon docking adventure where we live on our batteries and solar. I may have to grab a grandson and go solo on that one.

There is a private campground where we get one night on Oliver so we may just hang around there. The only reason for not heading straight home is we want to test all the systems while we are close to the factory. That plus we have never camped in cold weather and I want to be stretched a little.

Dave

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Dave, you might also want to consider some of the AL state parks just south of the "border" still a relatively short distance from Hoenwald but good enough to get your feet wet. We have camped at Monte Sano, Little River Canyon, and Guntersville St Parks, all very good facilities, i.e. showers, bath etc are usually kept very clean and up to date. But Sherry's idea of hitting the Natchez Trace and some of those nearby campgrounds sound very nice too.

Hope this helps.

Legacy Elite II #70

Hey Dave, you can come up here to Kansas in Jan or Feb and check out that "cold weather" camping. We can put you out in the pasture down by the pond, oh wait, the pond will be frozen and covered with snow. Oh well forget that, that just sounds like a bad idea.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA