Who's up for Alaska?

• Moderators

We're in!!! Actually, that's the reason we ordered our Oliver. Paul and I flew into Anchorage a few years ago, and rented a little Class C for a few weeks. We can't wait to go back, and now that we're semi-retired, we have a little more time. We're planning to leave Florida sometime in May, and spend six to eight weeks on the road. I'll look up some digital pix from our trip in the rental, and post them later or tomorrow. The scenery is amazing!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Could one of you who has uploaded images already explain to me how to do this? Thanks!!! Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Could one of you who has uploaded images already explain to me how to do this? Thanks!!! Sherry

>

Sherry, we are looking forward to seeing your Alaska photos !

>

The easiest way I know to post photos is through http://www.photobucket.com.

It is a free service and it will resize your photos to an internet friendly size for you automaticly. Now, I like that. After your photo is uploaded to photobucket, there will be several ways you can use it listed below each photo. The one I use most is the easiest, naturally, just left click the image link at the very bottom below the photo. It will automaticly copy to your machines RAM. Then all you have to do is right click to paste that image link into the text body of your posting and it will be there when you submit the post to the board.

>

Alaska photos ! Pretty heady stuff ! We just can't wait.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

One of my favorites... A tranquil Alaska lake

TranquilLake-Alaska04-1.jpg

AmazingDenali-1.jpg

We lucked out... Some people who visit the park never get to see Denali because of the clouds at the top. The weather was perfect on the day we visited.

Thanks for the help with the photo uploads. I think I need a little more practice to get the sizing right before I try to post any more.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Thanks for all the kind comments. These pictures were taken on an Olympus digital camera, 35mm, not very expensive. We've had really good luck with Olympus in film and digital... they're pretty rugged, and offer a lot of value for the dollars spent. Alaska just makes an average photo snapper seem really good...It's tough to take a bad picture when there's beauty around every curve! I'm kind of out of pocket for a few days, but I'll try to post more over next weekend. Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Well, the weather is heating up around here (already in the mid-80's daytime) and I'm dreaming about Alaska again. Unfortunately, our trip may be delayed till next year due to a couple of projects running overtime, and family commitments, milestone birthdays.... Our second trip may be postponed till summer '09 unless we can figure something out. But, a girl can dream, right?

OldValdez-nighttime.jpg

One of our favorite nights in Alaska was spent boondocking in old Valdez harbor. The lights in the distance are anchored ships in the harbor, and the field in the foreground surrounded our campsite. We had a great campfire most of the night... the summer sun didn't really "set" . I think this was taken about 3 am or so.

OldValdezharbor-Boondocking.jpg

This pic was taken around midnite... You can see the mountains and the harbor more clearly.

Looking at my old pix makes me want to find a way for this summer..... Anybody else making plans for this summer or next? (I got my new Alaska Milepost in the mail last week....)

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators

Gas prices here are half of last year. Anybody else thinking that this is a good year for long distance travel... to Canada and Alaska?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

The veritable "Trip to Alaska" is something that Oscar and I have on our bucket list. But, alas, it is not to be this season as my daughter is expecting twins :o in late July and starting the third trimester we'll be remaining within a one day's drive to home in case any help is called for on the baby-watch. :shock:

Next year will likely be the Little Plastic Trailers on Route 66 parade.

How about a replay in 2011. I'm sure you experienced Alaskateers will be raring to do it all over again by then. :lol:

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

That's entirely possible, Pete. And we'd love to have you and Oscar in the "caravan".... whenever we go.

What's the deal on the plastic eggs on route 66 for 2010? Do you have some info on that in another thread that I have missed? Sounds interesting.

And, wow, twin grandchildren. How cool is that? I'm excited for all of you!

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

The "Route 66 and Little Plastic Trailers" thread was started some time ago on the Casita Forum by Lane, of "Lane and the Poodle Girls" You can read all about it at:

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index. ... opic=11600

Sounds like it could be a blast!

For a while, I've been calling the twins Thing One and Thing Two ;) Now that they have been determined to be a boy and a girl I will start calling them by their names: Luca Antonio and Paloma Alynna. Luca is Tony's grandfather's name and Alynna is a form of my wife Lynn's name. Now I'll have two granddaughters named after birds - Paloma (dove) and Sparrow, who is three years old now and carries a name from her mom's side.

Sorry Karen, no Pete & RePete . . .

:D

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators

We're definitely still thinking about Alaska in 2011. We enjoyed our short trip in a rental years ago (Anchorage, Denali, Kenai Peninsula, Valdez), and a return trip in our own rv has been on our list for a long time.

Actually, our plans for Alaska were one of the reasons we chose the Oliver as our travel trailer.

It would be great to have a group of us, meeting up along the way.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 4 months later...

Geneva and I are very interested in a 2011 Alaska trip. Such a trip is on our bucket list. We've never been to the interior of the State.

It's none too early to start talking about it. Some of you may know the best time of the year to be there. I have heard you want to miss the mosquitoes that are so bad in early summer, so maybe mid July to mid September would be a good time to be there?

We would like to minimize our camping fees so we would like to dry camp, hopefully free, as much as possible on our way up and back. We would like to take our time going up and coming back, maybe not traveling every day, and going only 250-300 miles or so during days we do travel. We have plenty of time to burn on the trip up and back, and would like to stay in Alaska at least a month, since we will only get to go once in our lifetime. We are not fast drivers and would like to take a leisurely trip.

Let's hope fuel prices don't go up much between now and then.