What's the hardest part, folks?

carolann

I am an older woman who plans to get an Oliver and live in it, that is, unless I learn that there are some physically challenging parts that I can't carry off or can't do alone. I'm guessing that hooking up to the tow vehicle is the hardest solo, ole gal activity. I've towed lots of sailboats over the years, but a travel trailer in the middle of nowhere is something else. I'm also wondering about connecting water, sewer lines, etc. I fear buying something that I'm not strong or clever enough to take advantage of. Any advice?

• Moderators

CarolAnn,

Having met you at the Bluebonnet rally, I can tell that you are both physically and mentally capable of handling the things you would encounter out on the road with your Oliver. Having towed a sailboat already, you are "over the hump" of learning how to maneuver a trailer accurately.

As far as the physical standpoint, there was a lady parked two slots away from me at the Bluebonnet who is frailer than you and I understand she has been a solo fulltimer for a while. If she can do it you can!

Ah, the hookup thing . . . I think you live about 2 hours from me. If you'd like to, you can come on over and I'll show you my Swift Hitch backup camera and demonstrate how simple and failsafe it is to operate. Send m a pm of when you could come on over and I'll send you the directions.

Say hello to your brother for me. :)

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Thanks, Pete. I'll get in touch... Maybe through your blog is best? I'm wondering if I should post elsewhere, some place for new travel trailer people. Rather than posting beautiful pictures or high-tech solutions, my questions are sooooo basic. I just keep looking but can't find any other site. Recommendations anyone???

• Moderators

I think that one of the cool things about these forums is that those here really enjoy sharing their experiences. Don't worry about "newbie" type questions, because we are all newbies in one area or another. Example, Butcherknife and I want to know about internet and skype internet telephone while on the road. So we will ask because we know that there are likely those on here that can give advice that we need. :D

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

CarolAnn,

I sent my phone #s and address to you via a personal message to your email address.

Give me a call and we can arrange a meeting, if you'd like.

Oscar says "WOOF!"

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

CarolAnne, I think you are making a wise decision with choosing the Oliver. When I bought my Casita, the Olivers weren't available yet. You will love how easy it sets up! 3 buttons to push and in less than 10 minutes you are set up and level! With the Casita, I have to hand crank down the pads first just to get them down, then around several more times to get it levelled! After 30 minutes I'm done, whether I'm level or not! My back is screaming and my knees are wobbly! Ok, I'm 61... not old as dirt but headed that way and I don't want to spend the valuable time I have left cussing during the set-up of my Casita! I still do a lot of solo camping, but love traveling with Chuck in his Oliver. Traveling in Chuck's Oliver has me convinced in so many ways that THIS is the trailer for solo women campers! If you saw Pete's Oliver, then you have an idea of what a jewel the Oliver really is. (Pete ain't 1/2 bad either! :roll: ) You really should go see his back up system and then YOU try backing up your tow vechicle to his trailer and see for yourself. Also, you should do a mock set up of his Oliver........ tell Pete to go chill out where he isn't looking over your shoulder and just try the jacks and leveling system yourself! It's so darned easy!

I guess I should mention that my Casita didn't even come with the crank down pads. I added them because I just recently had both knees totally replaced and I can't get down on my hands and knees to use the only jack system Casita offers, I had to buy and pay to have welded them on. Now I have a whole new system, though it's much better than what comes on a Casita, its positively Stone Age compared to what Oliver offers as it's basic package.

Geri

Thanks, Geri! I'm feeling pretty good about the trailer hookup now. And I am going to meet with Pete. (He should love your comment and winking eye!) I'm your age, so your feedback is very relevant! I'm also familiar with your gorgeous photos.

Are there any other challenges--things that make you cuss and scream? Clearly the jacks count. But what about connections to sewer, water, etc? Anything along those lines? My worst fear is I that may not be able to afford the lovely Oliver and will have to compromise.

Thanks again!!

Welcome CarolAnn,

With your experience you will do just fine. The hook-ups are the easy part. There are women's forums and solo traveler'shttp://www.casitaforum.com/ forums and a fiberglass rv forum as well:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/;http://www.womensrvforum.com/. These are but a few. Your tow vehicle might have its forum as well where towing is discussed.

Example: http://www.siennaclub.org/

I have found these forums friendly and very helpful. I have seen the Oliver and it has so many more features, plus as you may have gathered by now, the Oliver folks are very good to work with.

Peace and sunshine ;)

Sacsun, thanks for your reply! I will check out each and every link you gave me! I'm feeling better about this endeavor all the time, thanks to folks like you, Pete, Mountainborn and Geri. And I will gladly accept your offer of Peace. It's that time of year in Texas when the Sunshine is overstaying its welcome.

Carol

CarolAnne,

Please don't compromise! (I am in a good place to compare Casita to Oliver. I have a Casita, Chuck has an Oliver.) If you do anything, just carefully consider all the "extras". If you start with the most basic of all the Oliver offerings, it's very near the price of the Casita. You will still have the double hull construction that Casita does not have. You will still have the electric jacks, that Casita does not offer. You will still have the molded in bathroom sink that Casita does not have. (Casita bathroom sink is a rivited unit) You will have the gauges that measure battery usage, black water 18.5 gallons, gray water 35.5 gallons and fresh water 32.5 gallon usage! Casita does not even offer this important tool as an add-on. You will have much more storage for all the liquids mentioned above than the Casita offers. (Check some of the posts by Chris - Technomadia - or exact gallon differences and you will be impressed!) All of these liquid tanks, all of your plumbing sits between the upper and lower shells, protected from severe cold winters and rough rocky roads! Oliver offers a self ignitiing hot water system that is soooooo easy to use,,,, the Casita does not offer this and I have spent many minutes cussing trying to get my hot water turned on in my Casita. The Oliver puts the shower water release pull thingee in the shower where you need it, not outside hidden way under the LP tanks which means another trip down on hands and knees to pull the lever. I finally took one of the suggestions from Lindy on the Casita Club and added an extension to the existing Casita handle so I could reach it more easily when needed, but what the heck were the folks at Casita thinking, putting this important handle OUTSIDE in the first place?

If nothing else, contact mountainborn. I hear he is considering selling his and upgrading to solar and double paned windows! Do what you need to do, but don't settle for less in choosing your new travel trailer. You will end up spending that extra money in the long run, just adding on the things you wanted and would have gotten in an Oliver. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish Oliver had been available when I bought my Casita. It would have been Oliver hands down!

Geri

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement, Geri. I agree with everything you've said. I'll just work all the overtime I can get until I drop! I found out some good news today--I can tow with a Subaru Outback!!! I know Outbacks and don't have to go doing all kinds of research on tow vehicles!!

Thanks again! Carol

Beeser, I saw Pete's Oliver and fell in love with it. I had just seen a Casita and was disappointed by the closed-in feeling. Then, when I entered the Wonder Egg, it was an altogether different experience. Bright, open, great quality materials. I'm not 100% decided, however, as I have to consider finances. And I plan to live in it, so I want to revisit the storage options. Also, I really want a separate bed and seating area. Bigfoot seemed to have more storage and was roomier, but bigger isn't necessarily better. So far, Oliver is way in the lead as far as what I WANT. We'll have to see how it plays out...

CarolAnn

CarolAnn - If you planned to tow with a larger vehicle than the Subaru Outback I would suggest revisiting the Bigfoot 17.5 especially if you're a solo traveler. The sleeping accommodations are less than ideal for partners but very adequate for a single person. It's what we have now and love it for just about every other aspect especially its spaciousness. Regardless, the Oliver is a terrific trailer and you would not go wrong with one. In fact, it just may be our next purchase. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Beeser, when you say "revisiting" the Bigfoot, do you mean thinking about it as a good alternative or being more aware of the shortcomings? I only peeked into one guy's Bigfoot that he was thinking about selling, but didn't really check it out much. He had some kind of strange arrangement in the back with a bunkbed that did not appeal. They are a bit pricey, aren't they?

CarolAnn

Beeser, when you say "revisiting" the Bigfoot, do you mean thinking about it as a good alternative or being more aware of the shortcomings? I only peeked into one guy's Bigfoot that he was thinking about selling, but didn't really check it out much. He had some kind of strange arrangement in the back with a bunkbed that did not appeal. They are a bit pricey, aren't they?

CarolAnn

I was referring to the Bigfoot as an alternative. Pricey? Yes, but the recent downturn in the economy, fuel prices, etc. have put a pinch on dealers with existing inventory, especially any remaining 2007s. Specifically, there is a 17.5CB in Mesa, AZ that the dealer is selling for a substantial discount. I don't think Oliver, Casita, or Scamp are in this tenuous situation because of their build to order sales concept. So, it may be a good time to at least take another look at the Bigfoot. Their 17.5 ft. model comes in 3 floorplans, none of which has a bunk bed. If you do a search in this forum you'll find my comparison between the Bigfoot and Oliver. I think it was an honest evaluation that eventually led to a thumbs up for the Oliver.

CarolAnn - Here's a link to the Bigfoot that I mentioned earlier.

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/list ... B-88912169

It's the CB model. The area in the back of the trailer is a couch that folds out to a bed. Not big enough for two but sleeps one very comfortably. Again, the Bigfoot is a much heavier trailer. I don't think the Subaru you mentioned is remotely powerful enough to tow it.

Carol Ann, I see you are in Texas. So am I, and I just put a deposit on a new Oliver.

I live near Lexington (highway 77) in Central Texas.

I am in process of configuring my new trailer for delivery in the last half of September.

Good luck with your RV decision.

Oh, boy! Maybe I can see it some day, Doug1. I've seen the WonderEgg. That's what got me started on the Oliver. Had been thinking about the Casita, but was very disappointed when I saw it. Then Pete showed me his trailer and I loved it!

I'm in Austin.

Hi CarolAnn,

I almost ordered a Casita because I like the concept of what they offer. I couldn't get past the "carpet" on the wall which is the biggest reason I didn't order. I wondered how I would clean it. Anyway, I was reading June's Trailer Life magazine and as fate would have it, I saw an ad about the Oliver. I put the magazine down and started researching on my computer. The Oliver forum has been tremendously helpful to me as I research about Oliver. Some of the topics discussed are ones that I wouldn't even have know to ask or think about. Thanks for your questions and comments as well as all others who have so unselfishly shared the good and not so good so that all who are interested in owning an travel trailer can have a richly, satisfying RV experience when they finally get to have their OWN OLLIE! My research as to what kind of travel trailer I should get has ended. As soon as personal circumstances permit I want to order the Oliver Deluxe. Keep up the wonderful dialogue as it has been very helpful to me and I am sure it has been just as helpful to the other readers. Thanks, jam49

Thanks for the feedback, jam49. I was feeling pretty good about the Oliver, but now not so much. The price is going up faster than I can get my resources together. I'm starting to look at other alternatives which saddens me. I'm also a little intimidated when I hear about putting this fancy thing-a-ma-jig in such-and-such a tight spot and selecting this gizmo over that. It now seems so complicated. I just wanted a nice little trailer to call home.

Hope it all works out for you!

CarolAnn

• Moderators

CarolAnn,

If resources permit at some point, I don't see how you could go wrong by simply calling up the Oliver factory and saying "I'd like to buy an Oliver, please." Even without any further decisions on your part, Oliver would produce a wonderful, livable, durable home for you that is of impeccable quality.

As far as the "thing-a-ma-jig" and selecting the latest whiz-bang gizmo on the market to incorporate into your new nest . . . leave those worries to other goofballs (such as myself) who enjoy the thrill of the gizmo world.

Not having the latest far out flux-capacitor-powered-left-handed-whatcha-ma- call-it in your Egg Home won't lessen the high value and quality of your Oliver experience.

You mean I don't have to choose which flux-capacitor-powered-left-handed-whatcha-ma- call-it I want? You're right, of course, Pete. I just need to order a "trailer" and not worry about the gadgets. The main concern is the price rising so fast, which I certainly understand from Oliver's viewpoint. I just read on CNN that gas may get to $6.00 by the end of the year. My next stop is craigslist where I will be searching for a team of oxen, hopefully with yoke included. I guess I'll have to ask the factory if one team will do it or if I need more of the critters. And we thought oxen were a thing of the past...

CarolAnn

Hi CarolAnn,

I agree with Pete. I just want a travel trailer, but which one with what stuff! Casita came the closest to what I want UNTIL Ollie came along. For all the reasons stated in previous posts, you can't go wrong with an Ollie even if it is just the basic. I haven't even seen one yet but because of my research I feel the Ollie is exactly what I am looking for. I am also trying to get my financing in order before the cost is out of reach for me. I would enjoy talking to you on the phone if you are interested. You can let me know by PM. Jam49