Other trailers

trumpetguy

I am curious about how the Oliver tows compared with other fiberglass trailers. We just sold our Casita which was very easy for mmy Avalanche. Anyone here have experience?

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Don't know about other fiberglass trailers, but I pulled 2 horse, 3 horse and gooseneck trailers, but on our trip back from the factory it pulled very nice. There was no wiggle or buffeting from passing semi's and it tracked true. I tried to keep my speed at about 60 or 65 mostly for gas mileage, but I still only got 9 mpg. But that old 97 F150 never did get any decent gas mileage. We are on the hunt for a new TV but I'm not sure if there is anything out there that will get better then the low teens while towing.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Stan. Thanks for the reply. As to gas mileage the new diesels should provide excellent numbers when towing. My 2011 Avalanche gets 19 mpg highway, but dropped to 14 with a 2500 pound Casita. I am not ready for a new tug though. I was reading about K&N air filters this week. It may be worth the $50 to see if one would really work.

My experience with K&N filters, and I have used many of them on different vehicles, is this. There is a slight boost in performance, and at best an almost immeasurable improvement in gas mileage. If you want to take it up a notch you will have to spring for the whole enchilada of air intake system which as I understand can boost performance by some 5-10% ±. With the filter alone an increase of 1 mpg would be optimistic.

Stan sorry to hear about your relatively poor gas mileage on the way back. A few months ago I started a thread here about MPG towing with the Oliver. I believe Steve said he was getting 14, or 16 mpg with his new GMC pickemup averaging 65 mph if memory serves me right. Look back in the threads to find it.

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators

Towing with the Ram 1500 5.7 hemi, mileage is definitely a function of speed. If we meander around the back roads, we lose little mileage. Not towing, we're around 15 to 16. Towing, we'll lose 10 to 25 per cent, depending on speed and terrain. Maybe a bit more, if we're in a hurry to get home. On the interstate, we go with the traffic. Point a to b, (like our frequent trips to North Carolina) we take the interstate. Exploring, we love the back roads.

We're looking forward to the new smaller diesel pickups. They've been around in Europe, Australia... everywhere but North America. We loved the mileage we got with diesels when we rented in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

No experience with other fiberglass trailers but we tow our 17' Oliver with a 2008 Avalanche. It tows beautifully. Our gas mileage doesn't change when we are towing; we get 18 mpg. We do a lot of back road driving though so we're seldom driving very fast. Would image the 22' Oliver tows just as nicely.

Pam

Thanks for the feedback on K&N air filters. It sounds as if the full intake system would be worth the investment over time and I will look into that. Delivery minus 10. Hoping for good weather in Hohenwald.

I just obtained a new 2014 Ram Hemi "Sport" with 8 speed and 3:21 rear and active engine shutters. I'm getting 18 on highway and 145towing which is better than my 09 Hemi w/5 speed where I got 12, towing or not!!

The diesels are averaging around 17-19 towing but one has to add the uncharge for the diesel set up and fuel. I'm still not convince a 3.0L motor will hold up as well as a 5.7 over the long haul.

• Moderators

cpaharley,

Does your 2014 have the air suspension and tubular foot steps, as well? Glad they were able to improve the mileage so much with the shutters and other improvements. The Ram is a great truck.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Great looking truck.

I see you have the ground effects cover. That's supposed to reduce drag, as well. Don't you love the fog lamps? We love ours. Really helps with visibility.

Was the bed cover on the truck on the lot, or did you add it? We love our UnderCover. Lockable (not that it's that secure...), keeps everything out of sight, and also helps with drag. Really light... the two of us can take it off the truck bed in a few minutes. Another one of those things that might even be faster to accomplish if Paul does it alone.... :)

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4