CANADIAN TRAVEL ?

mountainborn

• Moderators

Betty and I have not RV'd in Canada, so, there are many things that we are curious about. We have heard that you cannot take a hand gun or rifle into Canada, but you can carry a shotgun there, but must declare the shotgun upon entry. Any one know about this for sure ?

Also, we found this campground directory on the internet and were wondering if there are forums members that may have used it and how it worked for them.

http://campgroundsofcanada.com/

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Larry,

Paul and I have taken two Canadian tours in our Oliver. Our friend lois joined us, towing her Casita, on both trips. The first was primarily in Ontario, across the top of the Great Lakes, coming back into the US in Minnesota, entering Canada in New York above the Thousand Isles. That was about a month's trip, primarily camping in Provincial and National Parks.

The second trip, we went into Canada again from New York, just south of Montreal, and visited Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, returning through the corner of New Brunswick/Maine, from Campobello into Lubec, Maine. That was another four or five week trip, at least the Canadaian part. And, we treasured every day. The second trip, we found fewer Provincial parks open, and camped primarily in private parks, which were all very nice.

Both trips were beautiful (and chilly). We didn't even try to take handguns, shotguns or anything else into the country. The list at customs of forbidden items was lengthy...bear spray, pepper spray, brass knuckles, knives with blades over so many inches, etc., etc., etc.and more etc. My niece's husband has Canadian family, and does go up once a year or so on a hunting trip, but he has to take documentation of his hunting trip, and some other papers, to bring in his long guns. I can ask him if you plan to go hunting. We didn't even take our dog, though that is ok with proper papers. Cleaned out vegetables and meat, as well, from the refrigerator. The US side was stickier on produce than the Canadian, but it wasn't worth the hassle to bring anything either way, except the awesome Bay of Fundy scallops. I'll look up the current regulations, which change all the time. and see if I can send you a link.

By the way, New York state is very sticky also on gun regs, no reciprocity with most other states, so leave any weapons with someone elsewhere if NY is your gateway. Passing through is ok, but not overnighting with a weapon permitted in another state.

That said, camping in Canada is a beautiful experience. We were welcomed wherever we went, even in the rural, and very French speaking areas. Everybody worked to figure out the few language barriers we encountered (my one semester of high school French is very, very bad, and long forgotten.) We carried a small French / English dictionary, and we were fine. We had a wonderful time, both trips. Take extra clothes. Our first trip in July, we had to stop at a Walmart (yup, you'll find them there, too) for sweat pants and jackets. Though it was July, we were really cold at night. but it was one of those summers... Second trip was in the shoulder season (September), and many campgrounds were closed, or accepted cash only, as season was about over. The scenery was breathtaking on both trips, and the people we met were warm, friendly, and helpful==as fellow campers usually are. In Quebec, we watched late season whales sounding in the bay behind our campsite. in NB, we had the finest scallops of my life at a restaurant high above the Bay of Fundy. I bought some frozen to take home, and they made it through customs. We prepared them a few months later, and they brought tears to my eyes, remembering the great times and great people we met in Canada on that trip.

We extended our Verizon voice coverage to include Canada for a few bucks a month. Data was another story,and an expensive one, those trips. We limited our data to campsites and cafes with wifi, primarily. Maybe better now. Last trip was four years ago. I checked recently,for a friend who traveled to Toronto and borrowed one of my phones, and data and texting were free on my tmobile phone, but I doubt tmobile has much coverage outside metro areas. Best to check with your cell provider, and data provider.

Honestly, we were searched at every entry point, US and Canada, and it's not worth second guessing the regs. Besides that, when it comes to food and beverage, we believe in spending our money where we camp. The fish was awesome everywhere in Ontario, Quebec, and NB and NS. People were absolutely great. Quebec City is like a trip to Europe, without the airfare. Don't worry about the language barrier in rural Quebec. Somebody will find someone who can help, or you'll manage.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Canadian government website link:

A guide to transportation within US. Follow the links for New York, which is a typical gateway to Canada, and not firearm transportation friendly:

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

We had wanted to visit but had not considered traveling thru Canada due to their restrictive laws concerning firearms. About 6 months ago while reading about traveling on the , I discovered that Canada has apparently relaxed their stance on bringing handguns into the country.

What you need is the Instructions for: Non-Resident Firearm Declaration. It comes from the RCMP.. I would have uploaded the interactive pdf file but the forum does not allow uploads of pdf's. What's up with that?

We have since re-evaluated our view of our Northern neighbors and will be planning a trip to Alaska soon.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg