Ice cooler in addition to the fridge

routlaw

Question for you veteran Oliver's. Is the fridge in the Elite II large enough and effective enough that you do not need an additional ice cooler carried in tow vehicle or elsewhere?

We are getting closer to our pickup day (late Feb) and planning our first trip which will be the month of March. Wondered whether we should be hauling one of coolers with us for the delivery.

Thanks in advance.

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderator+

We found that for extended trips (greater than a few days) the fridge didn't have enough room for food AND water/soft drinks. We generally carry one of our coolers also just for the water and soft/drinks. Plus you're not having to open the fridge as much.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

It depends . . . I drink all of my drinks (no sodas) at room temp and only need to refrigerate it if I have some juice requiring such after opening. I'm usually within driving distance of a grocery store to restock as needed, so if I'm out for a long time, I don't need all the food as I start the journey. I do carry a small cooler to keep items cold after picking them up at the grocery if the store is a distance from the campsite . . . I keep an ice pack in the freezer to help with this.

Caveat! I'm one person, and Oscar the Smiley Dog does not need refrigerator space for his food, (except the meat and eggs that get stirred into his kibble, of course)

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Thanks, this is about what I would have guessed as well. At least for our pickup excursion coming up at the end of Feb (unless there is some unforeseen delays) we will bring along a modest size extra ice chest. Delivery is scheduled to be right around our 30th anniversary date so we are planning on being gone and out in our Ollie for the better part of March. Really looking forward to this.

On another note which I should probably post in another thread and area, am I the only one having issues staying logged in? When I initially registered about a year ago the system would recognize me and keep me logged in on new visits but as of the last few months I have to log in every time I return to the forum. Sort of annoying.

Thanks again.

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators

I know you're looking forward to your pickup date.

On the login issue, check to see that the box "log me in automatically on each visit" is still checked when you log in. If it's checked, and you're still having problems, clear your cache, and try again.

Ice chest is a big help when we're camping. Beverages stay cold, within reach, as we usually keep the cooler outside, and saves a lot of refrigerator space. We also have a big orange water dispenser from Home Depot that we keep outside. As the ice melts, it becomes cool drinking water. Neither item is necessary for a trip of a few days, but for more than that, it's really helpful. And especially when we camp with tenters who have no refrigeration.

On the way home, empty coolers just become storage crates

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Hi Sherry,

Yes I have done all of those things repeatedly including but not limited to deleting any all cookies from the Oliver forum, all to no avail. Sorry I should have included this info while posting the issue. Its really weird but for what ever reason the system will not keep me auto logged in now.

Back to fridges, ice cooler et al. You make some good points and definitely we have decide to carry an extra cooler along for this first trip out. We are planning on being on the road for about a month, and our delivery date unless something changes between now and then will be smack dab on our 30th Anniversary date. Pretty cool present for the both of us. :D

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderator+

You're not the ONLY one having login problems. I am too on, EVERY computer that I use (several at work, two at home, wireless ipad and iphone) has the same problem. I've done all the things others suggest (many times). There's something wrong in the software, it all happened to everyone at the same time and has cleared up for some but obviously not for everyone. It is VERY irritating.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 3 years later...

I am so spoiled - decided I want quality nugget ice for my drinks. Just ordered Opal Nugget ice maker on Amazon Prime (a countertop nugget/pellet ice maker - makes about one pound per hour and holds three pounds, so the literature and reviews claim). This thing is pricey for certain, but, hopefully will be a welcome comfort to trailer life when I pickup my Oliver LEII in April 2019. In the meantime, will definitely use it at home (not a fan of the cubes we have been getting from our Samsung kitchen refrigerator the past few years). What do you guys do for ice when camping? The Oliver freezer and ice trays? Purchase ice at nearest Store and keep it in an ice chest? Simply do without? Just curious.

• Thanks 1

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

The freezer in our isotherm, which is smaller than the Dometic, will hold three of the slim ice trays from oxo - the ones that make cubes to fit water bottles. We’ve found that this is plenty for us for the day. That said, those ice makers do intrigue me. I think at least one other owner has one. I’d be interested to know how much power it takes and how long it takes to make ice.

• Moderators

We carry an ice chest for ice and drinks in the back seat of the truck. We usually pick up bagged ice wherever we’re at. We’ve been discussing getting an ice maker, just not sure where we’d carry it.

I haven’t had any problems with log ins. I mostly use an iPad and never log out so when I turn on I’m already logged in. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

I haven’t had any problems with log ins. I mostly use an iPad and never log out so when I turn on I’m already logged in. Mike

That log-in issue was 3 1/2 years ago.  Pay attention.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

That log-in issue was 3 1/2 years ago. Pay attention.

Well,...um.... I’m glad it got fixed!!

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I recently acquired a nice, small YETI cooler (ask ScubaRx) that's perfect for any cool items picked up on a long distance grocery run.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

We keep a 35QT Engel cooler for drinks and store visits in the Tundra.  Started using 4 reusable freeze packs. On travel days keep 2 freeze packs in Ollie's refrigerator to keep everything cool without running Ollie's fridge and two in the Engel cooler.  Place freeze packs in Ollie's freezer at night.

LE2